5 Minute Mystery! Whodunit? Can You Finger The Murderer?

This is a discussion on 5 Minute Mystery! Whodunit? Can You Finger The Murderer? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Despite the cold, Officer Alex Morelli was sweating heavily as he stood in the front hall of the dingy safe house, waiting for a superior ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: 5 Minute Mystery! Whodunit? Can You Finger The Murderer?

VIP Member

Exclamation 5 Minute Mystery! Whodunit? Can You Finger The Murderer?

Despite the cold, Officer Alex Morelli was sweating heavily as he stood in the front hall of the dingy safe house, waiting for a superior to show up and take charge of the strangled body on the floor. Morelli himself had been in charge of the body while it was alive and that, of course, was the reason for Morelli's sweat.

For two days, he'd been one of the guards assigned to Jake Fishel, a harmless accountant who'd been unlucky enough to witness a mob hit. The D.A. had begged Fischel to testify and vowed he would be kept safe from the long arm of the Popov crime family. Officer Morelli had stayed with Fischel, working 12-hour shifts and actually growing to like the meek, mousy witness. And now this.

The doorbell startled Morelli and he opened up to admit Captain Cromwell, a whirlwind in a rumpled suit that flapped in the frigid breeze.

Cromwell stared down at the corpse. "Why was he left alone?"

"I got a call from your office," Morelli stammered, pulling out his two-way radio as if it proved something. "I was ordered back to the stationhouse. They said another guard would take over. It was half an hour before I got wise and got back here."

"Just because it came on the right frequency, you didn't think to question it? The Popovs have connections, you idiot. They own people." The captain sighed. "Who all had keys?"

"I had the only set. I told Fischel not to open up for anyone. When I closed the door, it locked behind me, then I heard him throw the deadbolt. You know him, Captain. He wasn't a reckless guy."

Cromwell knelt by the body. "Strangled from behind. Probably a wire. Who would Fischel open the door for? Who knew he was here? It's time we got answers."

The captain grabbed his overcoat from a hook and led the way to his car. Morelli grabbed his own coat and followed.

The first lead came from the safe house's phone records. Just the previous night, the victim had sneaked a call to Luther Dross, his brother-in-law. "My wife's in intensive care," Luther told the officers when they visited him at his locksmith shop across town. "Jake and her were real close. Jake was worried and wanted the latest news about her condition. We talked for maybe five minutes. He knew it was against the rules and he never told me where he was."

The captain pulled a notepad and pen from his coat. "Where were you today around two?"

"Is that the time of death?" Luther asked weakly. "I was installing locks in a new apartment complex on Prospect Road. Some of the workmen must have seen me. I came back here to clean up before going to the hospital. Can I go now?"

Officer Morelli came up with the case's second lead. Four months ago, he remembered using this same safe house to protect Buddy Banks, a mob informer. When the D.A. was trying to convince Fischel to testify, he brought in Buddy to calm the accountant's nerves and tell him how safe protective custody could be. "Buddy knew where the safe house was. He had mob connections. And Fischel knew him, so he might have opened the door."

Banks had moved 20 miles away and changed his name. Cromwell and Morelli tracked him down to a phone company where he worked as a directory assistance operator. Cromwell showed his badge and had the former informer sent out on a break. He told him the news.

"Wow," Banks said and looked sick to his stomach. "I feel terrible. If I hadn't talked him into testifying, he'd still be alive."

"Did Fischel make contact with you?"

"No, I swear. I only saw him that once in the D.A.'s office. And I had no way of knowing they'd send him to that safe house."

"You could have found out."

"Look, I've cut my ties to that whole world. I work 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. every day, and I'm straight as an arrow."

Cromwell and Morelli drove the 20 miles back to the city, turning everything over in their minds. "The killer always makes a mistake," the captain mumbled.

"Yes," Morelli agreed.

They both stayed silent for the rest of the drive.

Who killed Jake Fischel?

Luther Dross
    Buddy Banks
    Officer Morelli
    Captain Cromwell

What mistake did the killer make?

Don't cheat, the answer appears below.

The Solution

Who killed Jake Fischel?

Captain Cromwell

How other people responded:

20% said Luther Dross
    25% said Buddy Banks
    40% said Officer Morelli
    10% said Captain Cromwell
    The Explanation

What mistake did the killer make?

He left his overcoat at the safe house.

Captain Cromwell was on the take from the mob and, for a price, agreed to kill Fischel. It was a simple job to get the witness to open the safe house door to a police captain he already knew.

As soon as Cromwell left the murder scene, he realized that he'd forgotten his overcoat on a hook just inside the door. He couldn't retrieve it because the door locked automatically and he had no key.

On the drive back home, Morelli remembered that Captain Cromwell had arrived at the safe house in a rumpled suit, but left carrying an overcoat. This coat undoubtedly belonged to the captain, since he later took his notepad out of the pocket.
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

2. Remove Ads

This is good Cheated though But real good :D
    When life gives you lemons, Open a lemonaid buisness.

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    That was great. I liked it- it wasn't too hard.... to me anyway.

Got any more? Maybe some a little harder? And maybe keep the answer secret a little longer so we can answer?

..Please?
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    Had absolutely no idea!
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

it was colonel mustard with a candlestick in the liberty
    GunnyBunny likes this.

The Captain. Suit flapped in the wind when he walked in, but he grabbed his coat off the hook when they walked out. I didn't read the rest of the story - figure that was chaff.

Fun, though.

I got it.
    You do not know, what you do not know, until you realize that you do not know it

Good one - and I like it because I figured it out!
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

mkh
    I got it too. I love these things.

I got it pretty fast but kept going back through it to try and catch something else before I looked. First one of those I had done, pretty neat.
    ~Mike
    Glock 17, Dale Fricke Archangel, Wilderness Tactical belt.
    My Guns and Tattoos Blog

Distinguished Member Array tiwee's Avatar
    I got it also. Thanks for posting. It was fun.

Quote Originally Posted by NH_Esau View Post
    The Captain. Suit flapped in the wind when he walked in, but he grabbed his coat off the hook when they walked out. I didn't read the rest of the story - figure that was chaff.

Fun, though.
    Same here

Quote Originally Posted by kg4ghn View Post
    I got it pretty fast but kept going back through it to try and catch something else before I looked. First one of those I had done, pretty neat.
    Same here...i caught the coat on the hook...but then got hung up...no pun intended... on the phone operator saying he'd been working 8-4 and they didn't tell him what time the murder occurred.

Nice! I was thinking Luther was jealous of how "real close" the victim was to his wife.

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjam2jab View Post
    Same here...i caught the coat on the hook...but then got hung up...no pun intended... on the phone operator saying he'd been working 8-4 and they didn't tell him what time the murder occurred.
    Same here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links