Security License?

Security License?

This is a discussion on Security License? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Hopefully a few of you have your private security license and can give me some advice. 1. Do you need to fill out the application ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Gunsmoke16

Thread: Security License?

Distinguished Member Array Burns's Avatar

Security License?

Hopefully a few of you have your private security license and can give me some advice.

1. Do you need to fill out the application for the license when you already have a job lined up or can you get it right away for future jobs? I'm aware that it expires on August 31 of every even-numbered year and needs to be renewed but I saw a piece of paper on the application that asks about your employer.

2. I do not have any misdemeanors or felonies. The only thing I have on my record is a "disorderly conduct on UW lands" (non-domestic) from when I was young. It only results in a fine of money. This shouldn't stop me from getting my license will it?

3. This is the only question on the application I'm confused with:

"Have you EVER been convicted of a VIOLATION of any federal, state or local law or municipal ordinance
    that is punishable by a fine or forfeiture in this or any other state? If YES, complete and attach Form #2252,
    Convictions and Pending Charges."

Do I say yes to this even tho I never got a misdemeanor or felony? Does a "violation" mean anything you ever plead guilty to? Will this have any impact on me getting my license? I can buy guns and got my CC permit with no problems, is this background check any stricter?

4. Do I need any specific training in order to apply for the license? Or do you get trained by the people you are going to be working for?

I am looking to get all the information I can from here before I contact them and ask about it.
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

Quote Originally Posted by Crowman View Post
    Most likely each state has different laws/requirements for such licenses. You might be going about this backwards in asking here first rather than inquiring to whichever Department in your state handles the licensing. They will give the correct information.
    I know, I am obviously from Wisconsin tho :D

I don't think they are open at 3 am :d So I was hoping to get a little advice before I call them tomorrow.

(Wisconsin Department of Safety and Professional Services is who handles the licenses)
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

Quote Originally Posted by Burns View Post
    2. I do not have any misdemeanors or felonies. The only thing I have on my record is a "disorderly conduct on UW lands" (non-domestic) from when I was young. It only results in a fine of money. This shouldn't stop me from getting my license will it?

3. This is the only question on the application I'm confused with:

"Have you EVER been convicted of a VIOLATION of any federal, state or local law or municipal ordinance
    that is punishable by a fine or forfeiture in this or any other state? If YES, complete and attach Form #2252,
    Convictions and Pending Charges."
    From what you state it appears the answer is yes since you paid a fine. However, you might be going about this backwards in asking here first rather than inquiring to whichever Department in your state handles the licensing. They will give the correct information rather than the opinions you might receive here.
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

Quote Originally Posted by Crowman View Post
    From what you state it appears the answer is yes since you paid a fine. However, you might be going about this backwards in asking here first rather than inquiring to whichever Department in your state handles the licensing. They will give the correct information rather than the opinions you might receive here.
    Yeah I'll ask tomorrow. Even if I get the license it's going to be tough trying to find a job in Oshkosh. We've barely had any job openings in the past 2 years other than fast food. If I had the money to move I'd be gone in a heartbeat :/

In TN: 1. You must have the license to "DO" the job, unless it is an "unarmed" position, you are working for a company and have filled out all info for the license and mailed it in....you can work (while you carry application) while you have the app filed until they send you the approval or denial. 2. You must be upfront and open about the assault-list it attached with the app when mailed in and detailed explain...with attachments of court reports, fines, judgments, etc. List good phone numbers where they can call you if have any follow-up questions. 3. Yes, you would have to fill out the #2252, since as admitted, a misdemeanor crime was committed, you were fined/punished. Yes, it is MUCH more strict than a handgun carry permit, which is mostly just a collection of money and a basic exam to see if you are not a nut-case and can shoot straight/handle the gun properly. Personally, I think "everyone" should be allowed to carry without govt. involvement since it's a 2nd Amendment "right" and city/states are just trying to collect revenue off whatever they can. 4. Yes, specific training. In TN there is requirement of 8hrs in-service training for unarmed and 16hrs Intensive training for Armed licenses, along with fingerprinting, forms, fees and such. If you contact whomever is responsible for administering licenses, they will be able to give you a list of state certified trainers and information. Some of this you could probably find using a Google search. ASK that trainer on the phone, before you waste money on a class...tell him about the misdemeanor convicition (sometimes it based on how much time elapsed...ex: if you kept out of trouble for 5years) and circumstances and if they think it will be approved. If you attempt to take/work a job without proper credentials (NO A HANDGUN PERMIT DOES NOT MEET STATE REQUIRED CREDENTIALS AND EVEN FORMER LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICERS HAVE GOTTEN INTO TROUBLE FOR NOT DOING THIS). The fines/penalties are not worth not being in compliance...please make sure you follow the laws, and know them as pertaining to detaining a suspect (vs. arrest) and such laws. Be safe out there.
    paching likes this.

Links