Relocating to the TN border

This is a discussion on Relocating to the TN border within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; My wife and I are looking at relocating to the NC / TN, various properties on both sides. Not sure which side we could end ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By JoJoGunn

Thread: Relocating to the TN border

Relocating to the TN border

My wife and I are looking at relocating to the NC / TN, various properties on both sides. Not sure which side we could end up on. Can anyone give me some info about eastern TN, We have spent some time in the Smokeys but other than that we don't know a whole lot.... Done some research and it seems fairly gun friendly and the no state income tax is nice, but what about everything else?
    Thanks
    Sent from this... Using that...

2. Remove Ads

Why don't you give TN-Mike a private message, he is a member of this forum.

I bet he has glowing reports about Tennessee.
    shooterX likes this.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

We don't live far from East TN, and go into TN on a regular basis since the shopping and restaurants are (well more to choose from) than where we live. TN allows CC in places that serve alcohol whereas NC does not. NC and TN are both nice states, but if you want to be able to CC into a restaurant that happens to serve alcohol, you would probably rather choose TN. I know there are a lot more important things to base your choice on than that, I was just letting you know one difference between the two states that I know of. Also NC is a "must inform" state. If you get pulled over, you "must inform" the officer that you have a permit and are carrying. TN is not a "must inform" state.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Senior Member Array Inspector71's Avatar
    I live in East Tennessee about 20 miles from NC border. Beautiful area if you like the outdoors. Mountains, valleys, white water, lots of farms. Most of the land up near the border is government owned, so not a lot of human inhabitants, but an abundance of wildlife. Each year lots of hikers pass through the area. A great place to live and raise your family if you enjoy peace and quiet and don't panic at the sight of an occasional bear standing in your yard. As for guns, well you just gotta watch for the signs, otherwise I've had no problems.
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. Because it's in English, thank a vet

Senior Member Array GoBigOrange's Avatar
    NC is the Maryland of the south when it comes to gun laws. You need to have a permit just to buy a gun, you can't carry at places that charge admission(this includes movie theaters) and you can't carry in restaurants that serve alcohol. These laws may have changed recently but I just checked a few months ago.

I was born in North Carolina but I would much rather live in Tennessee. East TN has a lot to offer. Mountains, lakes, great weather and no state income tax. Good luck!

Edit to add: what part of East TN are we talking about?

TN is sounding better and better.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Grew up in Western NC and now live in the Knoxville area. Gun laws are better, no state income tax, more conservative, no permits to buy handguns, less gun buster signs on businesses(from my experience), and can carry where alcohol is served(can't drink at all while doing that). I love both my home state of NC and my current state of TN, however, I choose TN raise my family.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ...Adam

"If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart, and if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no head." --Winston Churchill

Edit to add: what part of East TN are we talking about?[/QUOTE]
    We live in NC now and you are correct regarding the current laws.
    We have found several properties near Vonore, Hampton that interest us.

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    Tennessee has one of the lowest tax burdens in the States. If it makes a difference to you, Tennessee's carry permit is slightly more travel friendly than North Carolina's (Minnesota is the only difference). Private transfers are 100% legal in Tennessee.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

NC will allow you to carry ANYWHERE, as long as you don't leave your home...
    NC is not 'anti', just too many quirks in their gun laws, for me.
    TN is a far better choice.IMHO
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by NCMedic8617 View Post
    My wife and I are looking at relocating to the NC / TN, various properties on both sides. Not sure which side we could end up on. Can anyone give me some info about eastern TN, We have spent some time in the Smokeys but other than that we don't know a whole lot.... Done some research and it seems fairly gun friendly and the no state income tax is nice, but what about everything else?
    Thanks
    I live in Raleigh as well and around twenty to thirty years ago, it was a wonderful place for me to live. I
    grew up on a small farm in what is now eastern Raleigh and it was far from the bustling place it is today.
    Then the Wake County Board of Commissioners started passing out building permits to everyone who
    could nail together two boards and Wake County became the spawling mess it is today. The traffic gets
    worse every day, the pouplation has become increasingly liberal and the moving vans are still headed down
    here around the clock.

I understand your frustration and I am looking to leave the Raleigh/Durham area myself. Quality of
    life is important to me and being a person who likes peace, quiet and open areas, I'm looking towards
    the eastern part of North Carolina where my father is originally from. Good luck with your move and
    I hope you can find somewhere in the hills you like. Be warned though, the transplants are headed
    towards that part of the state in droves as well. Maggie Valley, one of my favorite mountain towns
    was unrecognizable the last time I went there. Tennessee might be the better bet, it has more open
    space and isn't nearly as liberal as North Carolina, in particular the Raleigh/Durham area, has
    become. North Carolina now has the highest combined tax rate in the Southeast when you factor
    all taxes together. (state income tax, sales tax, gasoline taxes, etc.) If things do not change, North
    Carolina will become the Califorina of the Southeast soon.
    Last edited by ncnatiive; May 6th, 2012 at 08:46 AM. Reason: '
    Current Carry Guns:
    Charter Arms Bullldog - .44 Special
    Taurus - 851 - .38 Special
    Taurus - 617 - .357 Magnum
    Ruger - LCP - .380
    Glock 26 - 9MM

Senior Member Array GoBigOrange's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NCMedic8617 View Post
    Edit to add: what part of East TN are we talking about?
    We live in NC now and you are correct regarding the current laws.
    We have found several properties near Vonore, Hampton that interest us.

Sent from this... Using that...[/QUOTE]

I don't know anything about Hampton but I have spent some time in Vonore. Vonore is a beautiful area, but keep in mind it's a pretty decent hike to the nearest big city. I would love it there but my GF would kill me!

Another plus I just thought of regarding TN. We have a HOPE lottery scholarship. This paid for half of my tuition throughout college. Something to consider if you have kids. I'm not sure if N.C has this or not.

If you like Vonore your should check out Maryville and Lenoir City. They both have the small town charm but are closer to Knoxville so you can find things to do within a 20-30 minute drive.

Links