How We Measure Up?

How We Measure Up?

This is a discussion on How We Measure Up? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; remember the post of the sliding scale of the size of everything? this is another sort of interesting interactive Build a Solar System Model | ...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By claude clay
  • 1 Post By claude clay
  • 1 Post By QKShooter
  • 1 Post By claude clay

Thread: How We Measure Up?

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar

How We Measure Up?

remember the post of the sliding scale of the size of everything?

this is another sort of interesting interactive

Build a Solar System Model | Exploratorium

----im taking a typin klas swoon,
    though unsure am i wear ill putit
    goldshellback likes this.
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

My 9yo, who is austistic, is BIG into the planets, solar system, and astromony in general right now. That lil' punk will have a doctorate in astro-physics before he's twenty! He'll use this. Thanx for the post!
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Astronomy Picture of the Day
    goldshell---this is the site i start the day with. and a lot of wall paper comes from here.

very good with your young man. i've a 8" schmidt-cassigrain for sale but GA is a bit far
    re shippin and costs. try to find a fluorite refractor for him. for astronomy, inexpensive
    equipment is money wasted and lousy image quality may actually be a turn off.

serve well, stay well

-------------------
    i see in another thread that you 'set up the big scope'
    so i guess you have his needs covered.

---------------
    drift lower on the linked page and there are links for lots like what QK has posted below.
    enough to keep one occupied for an afternoon if it what you enjoy.

views from the ISS are awsome and fun to try and figure out what they are of on earth
    whitout looking at the supplied locations.
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------

Administrator
    Goldshellback - Have your Son watch this video. It's pretty doggone amazing.

Actually if you wanted to build an actual true scale model of the Solar System it would look something like this.

I've never heard of Bill Nye, but he's got a bunch of stuff............. This'll occupy my boy for a couple days!

Clay, your link was passed on. My son'll probley take over SWMBO'd computer now with this stuff............LOL!
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

goldshell---please to tell what type/size of telescope you have for the young man

my 1st that i ground the mirror was a 6" f12 reflector. i was 11 and one neighbor was a plumber and we built the tripos and welded the head. 41.5 degrees if memory serves.
    another neighbor was an engineer at P&W and helped with the balancing math...he wanted to 'help'more but it was mine.
    won the new england regional science fair for that year---yea me...
    won it again the next year with a laser my cousin and i built in my basement the next summer.
    ...it was hot enough to light a match at 200 yards...or feel like a bee sting at 100. was mean,
    but shooting out from the basement at the kids playing down the street was fun-- we never got caught
    but for sure my dad suspected; comments like " its good no one is getting stung above the waist..."

leaves me wondering; how is it possible to have forgotten more than i ever knew between 14 and when im 64??
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------

Quote Originally Posted by claude clay View Post
    goldshell---please to tell what type/size of telescope you have for the young man
    clay, we got him an Edu 102mm astra nova from Toys'R'Us for his B'day back in Feb. It's honstly the absolutly the cheapest, bottom-line reflector telescope that'll still 'reach out' and look at heavens. It works and we've explored craters and mountians on the moon, watched the four 'main' moons of Jupiter orbiting that gas giant (and those moons orbit fast), and saw the orion nebula,
    betelgeuse........ stuff we'd watched on TV and youtube, (the Jacksonville museum of natural science is favorite place in the world right now).

For a nine y.o. with (mild) autisum who has a notorious habit of taking everything that captures his attention apart, his mom and I decided that 'chepo' would be the best 'starter' scope for him. Me, being the closet 'space-cadet' that I am, had to be 'talked-down' from the nicer 120mm with geo-sync. motor and GPS locator w/ seasonal constalation chart, lcd screen AND 7 Watt green laser pointer................

Before 'we', meaning me, drop the extra dollars out of my custom M4 carbine/1911 'dream BBQ gun' fund, we wanted to make sure he'd really 'take-to' the scope we got for him first.

Well, he's taken to it............ I wasn't being silly when I said he'll be getting a doctorate in physics/astromoney by the time he's twenty.

Sponsored Links