First Smoked Ribs of the season...

This is a discussion on First Smoked Ribs of the season... within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I've used my Big Green Egg in snowstorms, including doing a brisket all day long. Did my first ribs yesterday too. Dry rub overnight, and ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: First Smoked Ribs of the season...

I've used my Big Green Egg in snowstorms, including doing a brisket all day long. Did my first ribs yesterday too. Dry rub overnight, and a splash of sauce on them when they come off.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by babarock View Post
    What's that goop all over those yummy lookin ribs? Well cooked ribs should stand on their own without extras being poured on them and hiding the flavor of the meat & smoke. Maybe a little spice rub before cooking but that's all.

I've had the Egg going for months - Lord I'm getting fat, I am weak but the meat is tender.
    I'm with you. Ribs are a tasty cut of meat I hate to think of hiding its flavor. I save the sauces for meat that cannot stand on its own.

Michael

What's that goop all over those yummy lookin ribs? Well cooked ribs should stand on their own without extras being poured on them and hiding the flavor of the meat & smoke. Maybe a little spice rub before cooking but that's all.

I've had the Egg going for months - Lord I'm getting fat, I am weak but the meat is tender.
    The goop is for the wife, she loves it. These ribs were treated to a bath of meat rub, then sat in the smoker at 185 for 5 hours, then seared to perfect on the grill at about 700 to get a better bark on them. Next time I will leave the sauce off, so that you can continue with your weight gain quest...

@ tacman, Im making those potato's this weekend for the wife. She said it sounded good....
    babarock likes this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Distinguished Member Array Doghandler's Avatar
    So like we ate at The Smokehouse in Independence, MO last week. Yah, Kansas City it sloppy sauce every where you go!

We ordered two dinner for two combo platters with beef ribs, chicken and sliced pork. Now...

What do you call 'em, those rib bones cut from the spine? I've always called them top ribs. The waitress brought home the platters and there sits these gigantic Fred Flintstone ribs.

So like, my family is staring at the huge lumps on the end of these ribs and thinking and asking, "What is that?"

My reply is, "That is the edge of the spinal bones, you see, the easy way is to just run the side through the band saw and avoid the spine altogether - you know the spinal cord, the CNS, Mad Cow, VCJD.... This guy, the butcher that cut these ribs is a mastermind. Man, you can hold these suckers like a club."

So my wife is like. "Settle down and no growling."

Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    The goop is for the wife, she loves it. These ribs were treated to a bath of meat rub, then sat in the smoker at 185 for 5 hours, then seared to perfect on the grill at about 700 to get a better bark on them. Next time I will leave the sauce off, so that you can continue with your weight gain quest...

@ tacman, Im making those potato's this weekend for the wife. She said it sounded good....
    Ok you're forgiven. I know what I'll bring, bi-color corn on the cob. Fresh picked and roasted on the grill. Ever had any?
    GCO Member
    NRA Member
    NRA RSO & Certified Basic Pistol Instructor

Senior Member Array RightyLefty's Avatar
    Corn on the cob is delicious on the grill. Another favorite of mine is fresh pizza on the grill smoked with hickory chips. Smokey flavored pizza is so good!

Ok you're forgiven. I know what I'll bring, bi-color corn on the cob. Fresh picked and roasted on the grill. Ever had any?
    Yes my wifes brother grew that in his garden. A little butter and fresh garlic....Hmmmm very good....
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Lay out a piece of aluminum foil about twelve inches long. Slice up one or two "taters" into chunks and put on the foil. Salt n pepper em. Cut up an onion and lay several slices on top of the taters. Top it off with a couple slabs of butter. Now fold the aluminum foil over so that you make a packet with the "fixins"
    inside. Put on the grill and let it cook along with your main meat. Take off the grill, open the packet, VOILA!!!! Just another idea fer ur "taters" gents.
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

I do a brisket once a year (my big meat day LOL, I am 99 percent vegetarian). I rub vinegar over it. Pat it dry. Put huge amounts of dry rub on (about '1.8 inch think before cooking). Put it on a water smoker for 14 hours or more. I use mesquite wood for fuel. Yum Yum

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by First Sgt View Post
    Lay out a piece of aluminum foil about twelve inches long. Slice up one or two "taters" into chunks and put on the foil. Salt n pepper em. Cut up an onion and lay several slices on top of the taters. Top it off with a couple slabs of butter. Now fold the aluminum foil over so that you make a packet with the "fixins"
    inside. Put on the grill and let it cook along with your main meat. Take off the grill, open the packet, VOILA!!!! Just another idea fer ur "taters" gents.
    Plus 1+

I also used to do a BBQ vidalia onion.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links