Where oh where to post this...

This is a discussion on Where oh where to post this... within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; In the news..? well, it's ugly.. Homeland security? well, it's got to do with the DHS.... Nah... It's off topic... Is it political? not really... ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Hopyard
  • 1 Post By mlr1m

Thread: Where oh where to post this...

Where oh where to post this...

In the news..? well, it's ugly..
    Homeland security? well, it's got to do with the DHS....
    Nah... It's off topic...

Is it political? not really...
    Is it humorous? In a sad kinda way..

Well, here goes...

Seems our Dept. of Homeland Security guys (might be a few gals involved,too) are wasting their time and our money (our tax money, that is) on purses.

Not even "tactical purses" for say, CCW. Important for concealing that MAC 10 or UZI or whatever it is they carry now... no... not that...

They are grabbing up DESIGNER purses.... You know... Gucci, Vuitton, Ruimacci.. all the big names... nearly half a million dollars worth... wow... Are our boys in ICE getting in touch with their feminine side? No, it isn't that... See, it's knockoffs they're confiscating...

Now, the fact of the matter is that ICE means Immigration (and) Customs Enforcement... and these are the guys from the C division... Customs.

They seized nearly half a million dollars in purses from some vendor in a local (nearly vacant) mall... In a town of 110,000 give or take ~16000 purses and wallets seems like a lot (at ~$25.00 ea). But they got their men... Good for them, I guess...

Good for us? Maybe not so much... See, most of these brands are made in China anyway... and the off shifts (or ghost shifts) make the knockoffs... They claim that the knockoffs cost the real owners of the brand a great deal of profits... really? I don't know too many folk in Cedar Rapids Iowa that are willing to spend ~$4-500.00 for a purse... Maybe in Dallas or Chicago... LA... but Cedar Rapids... nah.

I guess, if you want to carry a purse with that big name on it... go ahead... maybe some BG will think you're a good target.... If it's a knockoff, I hope you carry a gun in it so they'll learn better victim selection... If it's the real deal, your body guards can take care of any attackers (can't they?). And if it's the real deal, the body guards make more of a "statement" than any ol' bag... no matter who's name is written all over it...

I'd really rather the boys in C went over to I, and stood guard at the border... or caught some "diaper bomber" or something... the purses... well, I don't care.

If you want to read the story... without my snarky take on it... Go nuts...

Here's the real story
    It could be worse.
    "The History of our Revolution will be one continued Lye from one end to the other."
    John Adams
    "A gun is kind of like a parachute. If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again".

2. Remove Ads

It's not the money that's put into manufacturing the products, it's the money put into marketing. That's the reason name brand prescriptions are more expensive than generics. All that's well and good until people start labeling the generics with the name brand. That's illegal. To you, it's no big deal and not worth enforcement.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

VIP Member
    Sounds like law enforcement doing what they are supposed to do. What the seller of knock off is doing is
    stealing; pure and simple.

Might the C in ICE be put to better use? Maybe. I don't know. But every organization, government or private, has to
    prioritize their activities and time and 500,000 fake somethings seems like organized crime to me. So, in addition to the
    issue of knockoffs, they probably will find quite a network of "wholesale" buyers, smugglers, white collar criminals, minor thugs, and maybe even a few not so minor thugs; the smuggling part of the operation could well be tied to drug movements.

I see nothing wrong with the raid at all.
    shooterX likes this.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Gene, I get that... But lets move the guys in the handbag division over to the drug division... Maybe even some from the CD/DVD division over there to drugs too.

Please understand... I do appreciate the job they do, and the importance of it... even in the "handbag" division... But the fact is that so many old line manufacturers... like Porter Cable and Delta (since I do occasional woodworking, these come to mind readily) have moved their manufacturing overseas... And, you end up getting a product that is, like your "generic drugs," slightly lower quality... (not so much in the generic vs branded drugs discussion, but makes the point, kinda).

Many folk have called it the "Walmart Mentality" buy "more" for less.... I'd rather pay more for quality that lasts... but the available choices are dwindling...
    It could be worse.
    "The History of our Revolution will be one continued Lye from one end to the other."
    John Adams
    "A gun is kind of like a parachute. If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again".

Hopyard... the person doing the stealing in my mind, is the buyer... they know they're buying a knock off... they're "stealing" prestige. And, they're feeding the BGs up the ladder...

And honestly, it wouldn't surprise me in the least if these name brand manufacturers weren't selling some of the knockoffs themselves... in their approved "outlet" stores. They may market them as "seconds" or mill run.. or what have you... but I'd bet its done more often than we know.
    It could be worse.
    John Adams

Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    Gene, I get that... But lets move the guys in the handbag division over to the drug division... Maybe even some from the CD/DVD division over there to drugs too.

Please understand... I do appreciate the job they do, and the importance of it... even in the "handbag" division... But the fact is that so many old line manufacturers... like Porter Cable and Delta (since I do occasional woodworking, these come to mind readily) have moved their manufacturing overseas... And, you end up getting a product that is, like your "generic drugs," slightly lower quality... (not so much in the generic vs branded drugs discussion, but makes the point, kinda).

Many folk have called it the "Walmart Mentality" buy "more" for less.... I'd rather pay more for quality that lasts... but the available choices are dwindling...
    I'm sorry. I just have this thing against thievery, however it's disguised. The Chinese aren't very adept at innovation. They are geniuses at stealing proprietary information and producing knock-offs. In Iowa, the fake Coach handbag is represented and priced as a fake. The people that are selling the fake, didn't put any money into paying the designer, buying all the ads in Vogue and other magazines, putting on all the fashion shows and all that stuff. Since they didn't they sell their product dirt cheap and without warranty. No harm, no foul. The person who buys it decides to give it as a gift but "forgets" to tell the recipient that it's fake. The dirt cheap imitation falls apart and the recipient proceeds to badmouth the brand to everyone she meets. "Oh, I had a Coach handbag once. It fell apart in two weeks." That's where the real damage is done and the reason folks like Coach pursue it so aggresively.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    Hopyard... the person doing the stealing in my mind, is the buyer... they know they're buying a knock off... they're "stealing" prestige. And, they're feeding the BGs up the ladder...

And honestly, it wouldn't surprise me in the least if these name brand manufacturers weren't selling some of the knockoffs themselves... in their approved "outlet" stores. They may market them as "seconds" or mill run.. or what have you... but I'd bet its done more often than we know.
    If the buyer knows they are buying a knock off they are in the wrong too, but that does not absolve the people who
    smuggled the knock off into the country from their crime.

What OP described was a breakup of an organized crime group, and given the scope of the crime the participants
    aren't harmless business men who were just trying to make an almost honest buck. You get bet your last that
    they are into other stuff or working with folks who are into other far more serious stuff.

If the manufacturer of these knock offs wanted to make an honest buck they could have produced essentially the
    same item, put a different label on it, and thus made it clear that they were not selling the brand name item.
    In short, they were engaged in a fraud too.

My dad was in the blouse manufacturing business and put me through school by manufacturing inexpensive versions
    of designer blouses to the large chain stores; e.g., Sears, Penney. The difference between legal and illegal was in the
    labeling, minor design changes, quality, and in the fact that no one was being misled that a blouse that sold for
    $1.99 (in those days) was an original designer item.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

If I create a product similar to your and sell it at a lower price I have not stolen from you. If however I make a similar product and put your label on it I have stolen from you. Big difference. You do not see a difference between selling a cheap watch named MYCheapWatchComapny and selling the same watch as a Rolex? Souldn't the owner of the Rolex name have a right to stop you from stealing their name?

Michael
    oneshot likes this.

Down her knockoff CD's and DVD's are big money,some of these guys make up to $10,000 week at flea markets,every now and then they get raided and seize thousands of product,then serve search warrants on houses and confiscate all the computers and burning equipment
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

When I read the thread title, I was singing that Hee Haw tune..
    Yoda, I am, yes.

Links