Not Gun Related...Yet LOL - Page 2

Not Gun Related...Yet LOL

This is a discussion on Not Gun Related...Yet LOL within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by suntzu The nanny state mentality is getting out of control. IMO they're trying to control (obesity) what they're partially responsible for creating. ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Not Gun Related...Yet LOL

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    The nanny state mentality is getting out of control.
    IMO they're trying to control (obesity) what they're partially responsible for creating. Along with banning unhealthy foods at school activities why not have a list of prohibited unhealthy food items for EBT recipients? With restaurants like Popeye's, Taco Bell, KFC, Long John Silver's and Pizza Hut now accepting EBT... some blame has to be pointed at government itself.
    “Put your pain in a box. Lock it down. No man is stronger than one who can harness his emotions.” -Act of Valor

What's next?? Going after those "evil" little Girl Scouts and their "evil" cookies? This is just another step in government "cradle to grave" control over what used to be free citizens. Wake up!
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

Wait til they make it a felony to possess a twinkie on school grounds
    Hopyard likes this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Here are a few clues which suggest what I am saying is correct.
    1) Obesity is increasing proportionally in the population the way an epidemic spreads; yet twinkies and potato chips and fast food have been around at least since the 1950s
    I heard someone say on the radio today that as smoking decreases in adults, obesity is increasing in nearly identical but inverse proportion. I have absolutely zero facts to back it up. But everyone that I know that has quit has gained weight. Unintended consequences?
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chiefjason View Post
    I heard someone say on the radio today that as smoking decreases in adults, obesity is increasing in nearly identical but inverse proportion. I have absolutely zero facts to back it up. But everyone that I know that has quit has gained weight. Unintended consequences?
    Well, you really can't blame smoking cessation for obesity in school age kids. And as far as activity goes, I had fairly
    limited opportunity for after school activity; if for no other reason where I grew up it was dark shortly after school
    let out. At most there was an hour or two and mine was taken up with things my parents thought were useful.

I think we confuse cause and effect. I suspect a lot of folks are inactive for the very same reason they are gaining weight, and not the other way around. I really think there is something going on which is a medical and not a behavioral issue; of course the two always intersect to some degree.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Why not start an excercise program, get enough exercise and eat whatever you want. All I know is if they come after my "Biscuits and Gravey" there'll be a tantrum!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    Why not start an excercise program, get enough exercise and eat whatever you want. All I know is if they come after my "Biscuits and Gravey" there'll be a tantrum!
    That can work if you want to maintain a certain weight. The only problem is you still have to keep the LDL cholesterol and triglycerides in check. That said, them biscuits & gravy sound mighty larapin!
    “Put your pain in a box. Lock it down. No man is stronger than one who can harness his emotions.” -Act of Valor

VIP Member
    I've never seen a fat Amish kid.

I have never seen a fat Amish man below the age of 65 (or so).
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

This is so retarded. The government does not need to be telling people, kids or otherwise, what they can and cant be serve or eat at any time. Im not saying this as an anti-government guy but as someone that has been in the health and fitness industry since I was 18. Kids need to be educated on proper nutrition, put away their Xbox and and laptops, and get off their fat asses and play sports. This reminds me of when I was a kid and some of the parents wouldn't let there kids have soda. The kid never had soda at home but when they came over to my house they would drink like one an hour.

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit51 View Post
    What's next?? Going after those "evil" little Girl Scouts and their "evil" cookies? This is just another step in government "cradle to grave" control over what used to be free citizens. Wake up!
    I was making a joke, but apparently Banning the sale of Girl Scout Cookies ONCE A YEAR is being included too. Is there any limit to stupid?
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by chiefjason View Post
    Lose one habit, pick up another.

I'll say again that I'm mostly OK with government limiting options in school lunches. But trying to legislate what kids eat before and after school, and during extracurricular activities is just stupid. I completely agree that kids need to get off their butts and do something productive. I've been a gamer for most of my life. I started with an Atari. One button, one joystick. Oldschool style. I now have a custom-built (by me) PC with dozens of games loaded on it. I play fairly regularly, but still manage to run, lift weights, take Krav Maga lessons, play guitar, off-road, spend time with my wife, shoot.... And I work a 40-hour-a-week job.

Kids are lazy.

Can I say that? I'm 24.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

It is true about kids playing to much video games but it still comes back to the parents. They can limit the game time. I am sick of the excuse that both parents work and they can't be here all day. I understand every family is different and may have limited options for after school acivities for their kids.
    We let our son play video games as much as he wants since he was 8. The reason: he played A level hockey of travel hockey since a young age which means 3-5 times a week on the ice. He has always been in private schools that gave him real homework to do which took up a lot of time. He started playing the guitar around 11 and plays on his own or with friends several times a week. He has learned Russian and Arabic on his own and German in school. He works out 30 minutes to an hour a day and runs or walks about 30 minutes a day. He helps maintain our property and volunteers at a youth center. So, if he wants to veg out every now and then in front of a game, I say it is fine. He gets plenty of exercise and does other activities. If all he did was video games I would have thrown his PS 3 and Xbox out the window years ago!

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    I blame it on the poor math scores. Kids can't even do basic addition and subtraction: Calories consumed - calories burned = weight change
    Walk softly ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links