Not Gun Related...Yet LOL

This is a discussion on Not Gun Related...Yet LOL within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Massachusetts is thinking about banning all sweets an unhealthy foods 24/7 for any school activity to include sporting events and bake sales. State Could Ban ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Not Gun Related...Yet LOL

Massachusetts is thinking about banning all sweets an unhealthy foods 24/7 for any school activity to include sporting events and bake sales.
    State Could Ban School Bake Sales - Boston News Story - WCVB Boston

How soon before some kid or parent goes ballistic? The nanny state mentality is getting out of control. Funny thing is I don't have an issue with not having soda and candy machines in the school. But the new law wants to ban concessions at sporting events and fund raisers even if held after school hours and off of school property.

Am I just crazy or this is getting out of hand.
    Spirit51 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    You are not crazy.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

I agree that "proper nutrition" is a major problem in this country, however I don't think you can legislate what people eat, you can only educate them.
    "Don't start none, won't be none!"

VIP Member
    Ah but the government knows so much better what is good for us and should have total control over what we eat or drink. After all we are too stupid and ignorant to know what is good for us and should be monitored at all times. [\rant]

There is a poll on the page, it is running 93% do not ban bake sales.
    Stubborn likes this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

I can understand the desire to regulate kids' intake of sugar and fat. Obesity is terrifyingly common amongst children and teens. Moderation is key, including when it comes to legislation. If they want to limit the options for lunch and snacks that schools offer, I can be OK with that. Bake sales and fundraisers selling candy are a good way to raise money though. I know when i played soccer in high school, the school athletics department gave us 10 low-quality soccer balls in the four years I played. We bought new warmups, uniforms, game balls, goals and nets with fundraiser money, selling things like candy and unhealthy concessions food.

There needs to be compromise.

Change what's available during school hours and teach nutrition in one of the classes students are required to take.
    Spirit51 likes this.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

OMG!! Out law bake sales??? So this is what law makers consider important. No wonder we are fighting to save our country from "circling the drain". God save us from these idiots.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kapnketel View Post
    You are not crazy.

+1.
    I havenít heard any of the journalists who volunteered to be waterboarded asking to have their fingernails wrenched out with pliers, or electrodes attached to their genitals.

Some schools not only ban bake sales, but have approved only snacks that kids can bring in for their birthday and other events.

Anyone here remember CakeWalks at after school functions. Like musical chairs and the winner won a Cake that had been brought by one of the parents? I remember going and seeing all kinds of homemade bake goods at those functions. All the parents fixed some kind of homemade treat. A good way for everyone to get to know each other. It was normally very well attended.

I wonder how well attended a broccoli walk would have been attended?

EDIT: I do think that the schools should take the vending machines out of the schools. The main reason they are there is to bring in income for the school.

Michael

Your honor: I didn't know the cupcakes were loaded!!!

I saw on the news yesterday that by 2030 40% of Americans will be obese. It's not just all the junk food but also the lack of activity. When I was a kid I loaded up on candy, caffeine and other sweets... ALOT! When I started bouncing off the walls moma made me go outside to bounce off whatever my bicycle would hit :) Back then, before video games and cable tv, there were very few fat kids in my neighborhood. But back in the 50's 60's 70's mothers were housewives that actually cooked health meals.
    BurgerBoy and Stubborn like this.

VIP Member
    You are not crazy. In 30 or 40 years we will figure out that obesity has much less to do with
    the foods we have available than it does with some presently unknown disease process.

Here are a few clues which suggest what I am saying is correct.
    1) Obesity is increasing proportionally in the population the way an epidemic spreads; yet twinkies and potato chips and fast food have been around at least since the 1950s

2) There are many apparently healthy "morbidly" obese individuals. They diet and they exercise and nothing will help, or it just comes back. I know someone who lost 250 pounds twice, and it all came back twice.

3) Diabetes disappears or declines in folks who have had surgery to help them reduce. This indicates there are yet
    unknown factors in how we use the sugars and carbohydrates which we eat. The benefit on their diabetes is not related to weight loss.

4) We don't yet understand the physiology of hunger and satiety.

5) It would be impossible for me to get morbidly obese because I simply will not desire to eat the quantity.
    A companion of mine who is excessively thin, simply has no desire to eat more. Hunger and feelings of satiety are not life style choices.

Lack of exercise and access to food may be factors in obesity, but they are IMO not causative. We'll have to wait a few decades for the cause to be uncovered.

Meanwhile, keeping soda or cake from kids on special occasions and as treats is going to have no effect on their health.

Finally, you can't bribe a kid with carrots and celery has photo-sensitizing chemicals in it so it is not a good treat
    before outdoor activity; even if you could get a kid to eat it.
    Last edited by Hopyard; May 8th, 2012 at 05:29 PM. Reason: typo correction
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    Anyone here remember CakeWalks at after school functions. Like musical chairs and the winner won a Cake that had been brought by one of the parents? I remember going and seeing all kinds of homemade bake goods at those functions. All the parents fixed some kind of homemade treat. A good way for everyone to get to know each other. It was normally very well attended.

I wonder how well attended a broccoli walk would have been attended?

EDIT: I do think that the schools should take the vending machines out of the schools. The main reason they are there is to bring in income for the school.

Michael
    I'm only 20 and I remember those! I won 5 cakes one year and they were all very tasty! (Funniest part is I have no weight problems because I was active and still am )

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    Kids are obese because they won't get off their video game playing butts and go outside and play.
    Climb trees, ride bikes, play baseball, football...I know when I was a kid you were made to come inside for punishment.
    Kids are fat because they don't do anything.

...and "Suntzu" you are not crazy, and yes this crap has been out of hand for quite sometime now.
    paaiyan likes this.
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote Originally Posted by JaySkiBum View Post
    I'm only 20 and I remember those! I won 5 cakes one year and they were all very tasty! (Funniest part is I have no weight problems because I was active and still am )
    The walk part kept your weight down. Its the folks who refuse the walk and demand that someone deliver the cakes to them that get fat.

Michael

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links