Rights vs Privileges.

Rights vs Privileges.

This is a discussion on Rights vs Privileges. within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; If rights come from God or at the very least we are born with them and privileges come from government how do we tell them ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By BigStick
  • 2 Post By Mike1956

Thread: Rights vs Privileges.

Rights vs Privileges.

If rights come from God or at the very least we are born with them and privileges come from government how do we tell them apart? In the 9th Amendment it says the following.
    ,"The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people"
    I do not see in that anything that implies that if it is not a enumerated right. That it is a privilege to be given or taken by the government as they see fit. Is open carry or concealed carry a right or a privilege?

Maybe a privilege is just a right we were born with that the State has decided to take credit for?

Michael

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    I would say that the right is not necessarily to Open or Concealed carry, but the natural right to self-defense. The problems we are having is with how the government feels they have the authority to regulate the practice of how we impliment our right to self-defense. The 2A clearly states that our right to keep and bear ams shall not be infringed, yet the courts are allowing "reasonable" restrictions (which to me seems like infringement, but I won't get into that) which is essentially turning our right into a privelidge that we have to ask the government for and be approved and issued a license.

That being said, I like the direction of the movement in this area. Hopefully more states will realize what AK and AZ among others have that carrying a firearm for self-defense is a constitutionally protected right. Now if we could just get that pesky document to apply in places like Chicago and DC.
    W9HDG likes this.
    Walk softly ...

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    If rights come from God or at the very least we are born with them and privileges come from government how do we tell them apart? In the 9th Amendment it says the following.

I do not see in that anything that implies that if it is not a enumerated right. That it is a privilege to be given or taken by the government as they see fit. Is open carry or concealed carry a right or a privilege?

Maybe a privilege is just a right we were born with that the State has decided to take credit for?

Michael
    If rights do indeed come from God, it would seem He is very discriminatory in their allocation and implementation.
    Hopyard and rammerjammer like this.
    The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody had decided not to see.
    Ayn Rand

VIP Member
    I've posted this before. I had a work colleague whose dad was an old style Southern Lawyer.
    He advised his son as follows: "son, you have no rights."
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    If rights do indeed come from God, it would seem He is very discriminatory in their allocation and implementation.
    So you want others to implement them for you? There are somethings one must do for himself. Having rights does not mean that others will not try to prevent you from exercising them. Does the fact that no one buys me a weapon or a TV station mean that I do not have the right to free speech or bear arms? No I have the right but I still have to exercise it. No one can do that for me.

Michael

Is open carry or concealed carry a right or a privilege?
    Carry of arms is a right, protected by the Constitution:

"The right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed." - 2A

If rights come from God or at the very least we are born with them and privileges come from government how do we tell them apart?
    "...they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights..." - Declaration of Independence

Seems pretty straightforward. Rights come from the Creator and can only be protected or restricted, not created, by the powers given to the government by the governed.

VIP Member
    So you want others to implement them for you? There are somethings one must do for himself. Having rights does not mean that others will not try to prevent you from exercising them. Does the fact that no one buys me a weapon or a TV station mean that I do not have the right to free speech or bear arms? No I have the right but I still have to exercise it. No one can do that for me.

Michael
    Was there something untrue in what I said?
    The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody had decided not to see.
    Ayn Rand

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    Was there something untrue in what I said?
    Not at all. Life is unfair.

Michael

VIP Member
    Not at all. Life is unfair.

Michael
    A lot of that depends on who you talk to. My life, for the most part seems more than fair. Getting back to your original question regarding carry and the Second Amendment, I currently enjoy more rights/privileges in that area than my father, grandfather and great grandfather combined enjoyed in their lifetimes. My First Amendment rights in the area of religion, otoh, are more restricted than any of them would have ever imagined possible.
    Ayn Rand

Well, according to the NC Supreme Court open carry is the right of the people and concealed carry is legislated by the state. Unless you are on your own property. Then you can carry either way with no permit. FWIW, NC is a permit-less OC state.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Links