Annoying: Cell Phone "You have been selected for...." calls.

This is a discussion on Annoying: Cell Phone "You have been selected for...." calls. within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I was driving on the Interstate today when my cell phone rang. Did not recognize the number but in my haste, I actually answered it. ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Annoying: Cell Phone "You have been selected for...." calls.

Annoying: Cell Phone "You have been selected for...." calls.

I was driving on the Interstate today when my cell phone rang. Did not recognize the number but in my haste, I actually answered it.

"Hello!" I said.

Silence.

"HELLO!"

Sales Person : Uhhhhhh, Mr. Soandso, you have been selected to recieve a $1,200 security system, you would like that wouldn't you?"

Me :No. I have a vicious dog and I am armed with a 9 millimeter semi-automatic pistol. I think I'm covered." Oh, and by the way take my number out of your system and don't call me anymore.

Then I hung up on the jerk. Do any of you seem to be experiencing calls like these?
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

2. Remove Ads

No, I quit answering unknown calls after all those "card services" calls.
    JoJoGunn likes this.
    Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
    Richard M Nixon
    Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.
    Jeff Cooper

Not many of them, but that certainly seems like a good way to stop them.
    JoJoGunn likes this.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Quote Originally Posted by Bubbiesdad View Post
    No, I quit answering unknown calls after all those "card services" calls.
    So do I, but in a momentary lapse of sanity, I made the mistake of it.

The vicious dog & 9mm comment was like the first thing that popped into my head, other than profanity. I chose the former, but did consider the latter very much so.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

You even have to list your cell phone numbers on the
    DO NOT CALL" list now.

Distinguished Member
    My only phone is my BlackBerry 9810... no landline since 1998.
    If the caller is not in my approved contacts list they go directly to voicemail.
    If the call is from a toll-free number, a no-caller-ID tag or from someone on my "no thanks" list, the phone answers the call then immediately hangs up on them without making a sound (but it does log the event).

This has made owning a phone sooooo much nicer :)
    atctimmy likes this.

I have the debt collectors calling me looking for my brother I haven't talked to in 15 years. he lives in NJ and me in Texas; I wonder how they got my number because all I have is a cell ph ?

VIP Member
    I always say my dads not here right now.

Even signing up for the opt out website, Non-profits, survey calls and community related callers are allowed to call you. So much for privacy. I found out that when a robo call is answered, it notes the time of pick up and alerts a cold caller that you are home at that time... So as many have stated, don't even answer the phone.

I did pick up a nifty gadget that I put on mu land line about 4 years ago. It plugs into your phone line and tells the caller that the number is a non working number electronically and that computer removes you from calls from then on... TeleZapper is the name of the device...

The Official Site of the TeleZapper

I got mine from a local dollar store...
    Doug;}
    RSO, WA. XDMc 9mm, S&W 642CT & 442 38 sp, 1947 Savage 99 300,
    1972 Marlin 336 RC .35, 1922 Walther Model 4, 1933 Walther DSM 34, High Standard 1954 22LR

I prefer to be judged by 12 then carried by 6

VIP Member
    My phone is for my convenience, not theirs. If I don't recognize the caller, and I'm not expecting anything new, it goes to voicemail.

VIP Member
    One of the worst and persistent is the "card services". I don't think much exists to stop them, they offer a way for you to remove yourself from their list, but I don't think it works. Besides I'm on the state and national do-not-call list and they aren't supposed to call me anyway.

I've sent in some formal complaints against them, and have talked to an authority on the subject and they used a term, which I can't remember, as to what these people are doing to prevent being caught. IOW they are shadowy and constantly changing their phone number ID type stuff so they can't be tracked easily.

It's funny (not!) if you stay on the line to talk to a "live operator" (who wants to know your credit card indebtedness) they hang up on you if you ask to be removed or deviate from whatever information they need.

I don't think telezapper works anymore as it is.
    JDE101 likes this.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    Usually I don't answer if I don't recognize the number calling.
    Once in a while if I'm in the right mood/frame of mind, I will put on my best middle-eastern accent and try to recruit them to wage Jihad against the infidels...it's a hoot.
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote Originally Posted by barstoolguru View Post
    I have the debt collectors calling me looking for my brother I haven't talked to in 15 years. he lives in NJ and me in Texas; I wonder how they got my number because all I have is a cell ph ?
    I own a PI company and I will tell you there is no such thing as Privacy. The datebases that we use will tell you more about YOU than you remember about you. Scary stuff.
    You do not know, what you do not know, until you realize that you do not know it

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stubborn View Post
    Usually I don't answer if I don't recognize the number calling.
    Once in a while if I'm in the right mood/frame of mind, I will put on my best middle-eastern accent and try to recruit them to wage Jihad against the infidels...it's a hoot.
    I need to work on mine. I always end up sounding Indian (as in Mumbai).
    Stubborn likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    Yea me too...I sound more Pakistani. but I have fun with it.
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links