Random things computers do

This is a discussion on Random things computers do within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; So I'm scrolling through the baked goods and fat kids argument, just catching up. I'm considering my options on making an amish joke about one ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By msgt/ret
  • 1 Post By MleeC

Thread: Random things computers do

Random things computers do

So I'm scrolling through the baked goods and fat kids argument, just catching up. I'm considering my options on making an amish joke about one of the posts. When I accidently scroll down the page too far and get to the "search tags" portion of the page. And see this.

put you pain in a box lock it down no one is stronger emotions site:www.defensivecarry.com - Google Search

I think this sums it up nicely. End of discussion. Forget about the crazy things kids say, what about the crazy things computers say!
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    They say “To err is human, to really screw things up takes a computer”.
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    They say “To err is human, to really screw things up takes a computer”.
    Am I ever living this at work! Our product comes in stacks of 17, 20, or 30 trays depending on the product. They just purchased a new program for shipping. The other night it separated 6 full stacks into multiple stacks. One where I should have gotten 5 full and one partial stack of product I got 4 full and 5 partial stacks. And to make it worse, they are threatening to write the dock workers up for deviating from what the computer says. I put my boss on notice, things are going to suffer for it. I'm not going to fight it, I'm just going to deal with it as it comes and so will the guys I'm shipping it too. And to think they paid good money for that program.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Computers are like firearms. They have no conscience, do not have a mind of their own, and only do what a human instructs them to do.

On the brighter side, computers and firearms are good scapegoats. They get blamed for something we (humans) are ultimately responsible for.
    JDE101 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MleeC View Post
    Computers are like firearms. They have no conscience, do not have a mind of their own, and only do what a human instructs them to do.

On the brighter side, computers and firearms are good scapegoats. They get blamed for something we (humans) are ultimately responsible for.
    That about sums it up! As a former computer programmer for 20+ years, I can attest to the fact that a computer will do EXACTLY what a computer program TELLS it to do! A computer can not and does not "think". The "error" is in the computer code, which is written by a human. All computer programmers that I knew wished that there was a DWIM instruction--"Do What I Mean". Unfortunately, there is no such instruction. The computer will do exactly what the program tells it to do--even if it is stupid. Just like that idiot on "Preppers" who stuck his thumb in front of the muzzle and then claimed the "gun" malfunctioned, people have a habit of claiming that "computers" malfunction, when it is really a "manfunction".
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

“Put your pain in a box. Lock it down. No man is stronger than one who can harness his emotions.” -Act of Valor

Links