Why I Hate 9-1-1, Cell Phones, and Good Witnesses (Long) - Page 2

Why I Hate 9-1-1, Cell Phones, and Good Witnesses (Long)

This is a discussion on Why I Hate 9-1-1, Cell Phones, and Good Witnesses (Long) within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I would stop and have in the past. But that is me. I would not judge anyone else who feared for their safety who did ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Why I Hate 9-1-1, Cell Phones, and Good Witnesses (Long)

I would stop and have in the past. But that is me. I would not judge anyone else who feared for their safety who did not stop.

Michael
    Spirit51 likes this.

I haven't ran a CB in my V770 for about 5 years now. I just got tired of all the jackasses whispering "I ain't got no panties on." or screaming "BABBA BOOEY, BABBA BOOEY!"

I'll agree it's a shame we don't stop to render help, but in today's litigious society, and also fear that that stopped vehicle or person is really a trap, you can't blame anyone. We had one like that not too long ago here in town:

http://www.clarksvillenow.com/16-Yea...g-Str/12956608
    "Stand your ground, don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!" - John Parker April 19th, 1775 Lexington, MA

Μολών λαβέ!

Quote Originally Posted by Katana View Post
    I haven't ran a CB in my V770 for about 5 years now. I just got tired of all the jackasses whispering "I ain't got no panties on." or screaming "BABBA BOOEY, BABBA BOOEY!"

I'll agree it's a shame we don't stop to render help, but in today's litigious society, and also fear that that stopped vehicle or person is really a trap, you can't blame anyone. We had one like that not too long ago here in town:

http://www.clarksvillenow.com/16-Yea...g-Str/12956608
    The guy with no panties is still out there. Seems like every time I turn on the CB near a big city I find him. I use my CB for bear reports or to find out why traffic is stopped. Also handy in the winter to find out what kind of mess I'm about to drive into.
    As far as stopping to off help, I like to think I would if I was in a situation that called for it.

I have thought long about responding to this one. I know many of you are coming from a personal incident, but as a professional who spent many years running all types of horrible accidents...you can't just rush in. Let me point out a couple.

A young couple ran into a pole...electric lines fell on the car...it caught fire. We could do nothing until the power was cut. We had to physically restrain a female student who was fighting to get to the car. If she had, we would have had three dead people and not just two. What was it like hearing two people burn to death screaming? You have no idea and I can still hear it, but what good is it for others to go to certain death and still do no good.

A woman stopped behind a car that had a accident...late at night. As she was going to the car, walking behind it another car going at a rapid rate hit her car from behind pushing it into the initial car in front...sandwiching her in between. The people in the first car had minor cuts and bruises. The woman who wanted to help lost both of her legs.

I have been to many calls were strangers stopped to help before our arrival and most of the time it is helpful, but be aware that "tunnel vision" can get you seriously injured or killed yourself. Be aware and beware. Never ever smirk at "Scene Safe". It doesn't help anyone (including the person you stop to "help") if you add to the patient load.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

I still stop to assist people if it seems needed. I'm used to being on my own, and also being able to protect myself when necessary.

I think "immediate help" , is much better than "help is on the way".

I've been trained in all types of things, including rescue, emergency extractions, and initial trauma treatment. And, I have decent mechanical skills and I'm always carrying tools, etc. ... and if all else fails, a windshield punch, an 8 lb sledge hammer, and a good crowbar. Have good strong chain, cables, etc. as well.

Jumped into & pulled drivers out of burning truck and cars that have been rolled, etc. .... and gotten drivers out safely, Imagine I'll still do it again if the need arises.

I've been stranded in the middle of nowhere. It's not fun. Been caught in a blizard while alone, not fun.

Sorry to hear your friend died, when if someone had just checked him .... rolling him over could have saved his life... if they had been there in time.
    Mike1956 likes this.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Distinguished Member Array Arborigine's Avatar
    I have a J&M CB on my bike, few friends have MC CBs anymore. Go for a ride with the local chapter of the Goldwing riders group, they ask "Who DOESN'T have a CB"? A buddy on a GL-1500 and i would ride both ends when running with a pack of a different sort, kind of nice knowing whats going on at the other end or finding out why someone dropped out. Didn't happen enough to warrant the expense. I rode with this guy a lot, it was nice roll into a town and split up to find a restaurant, campground, etc. faster. The lack of a decent ground plane limits distance to only a few miles, I understand FRS radio has a much better range.
    Most of the non-trucker CB trash is clogging up forums on the internet these days, the Usenet is dying slowly, I don't know where they hang anymore as I stick to topical forums like this one.
    As to wrecks, do what you would like done for you. When i help out a stranger and they thank me, I ask them to pass it on tp another stranger.

Sorry to hear about your friend.

Note that in many states a version of a "Good Samaritan" law may help you if you have the appropriate training. YMMV.

I've stopped, I've helped, and will do so again with extreme caution as always, IFF I can make a difference. Most recently, I did so last winter with a car out of gas on a blind hill with a curve to boot and no shoulder to use, so I parked on the shoulder at the crest of the hill, called 911, put my flasher on just to get traffic slowed and helped the elderly, very financially challenged driver get his truck off the highway (US 24) and then ran him for gasoline and gave him the money for the gas. No big deal, but if I hadn't, the scene was just a multiple vehicle accident waiting to happen.

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Does anyone still monitor CB and can you even find them. I've been on long stretches of interstate where
    there were no cell towers and would have been up the creek without something like CB had something gone wrong.

If these are still available and monitored, I think I'll get one for my next long trip. Cell is great for what it is.
    Smartphones and GPS are wonderful, but sometimes the old ways work as well; good maps, a dashboard compass, and a
    CB (not really the old way as its modern, but you all get the idea I'm sure.

If you are too young to remember the hay day of CB, you are too young to carry. (How's that for throwing some flame on the board? )
    I still have one in my PUT. I also keep one in my other vehicles. But, I generally don't monitor any of them unless I'm traveling through a big city like ATL or Knoxville.

• IMHO- Cb's are still the best way to get up to the minute "traffic" updates on the road ahead.

I will also get on the CB if I see a truck on the side of the road with flashers on.
    • First; to ask if the driver needs assistance &
      Second; to warn any trucks that me be coming upon the situation.

I grew up using the CB & used one for years OTR.
    But (Like the OP), I've definitely noticed a change in folks on the highway. I've even experienced truckers that seem to go out of their way to run by me as close as possible when I've been broken down on the side of the road. The drivers could have at least given me the courtesy of moving left a little instead of passing within inches of me & my vehicle while I'm stopped in an "E" situation on the shoulder.

Again, truckers & trucking just isn't the same as it used to be. There seems to be a whole lot more stress on the drivers; and in turns, there seems to be a whole lot more drivers that just don't care. (Personally, I'm glad I'm no longer driving a truck.)

-

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    Sorry to hear about your friend.

Note that in many states a version of a "Good Samaritan" law may help you if you have the appropriate training. YMMV.

I've stopped, I've helped, and will do so again with extreme caution as always, IFF I can make a difference. Most recently, I did so last winter with a car out of gas on a blind hill with a curve to boot and no shoulder to use, so I parked on the shoulder at the crest of the hill, called 911, put my flasher on just to get traffic slowed and helped the elderly, very financially challenged driver get his truck off the highway (US 24) and then ran him for gasoline and gave him the money for the gas. No big deal, but if I hadn't, the scene was just a multiple vehicle accident waiting to happen.
    Thanks. I keep tools, a tow rope, jumper cables and a fuel can in my pick-up for just-in-cases, and have had occasion to use them all for stranded folks. I also have a first aid kit, but fortunately, have never used it. I am also minus a jacket and a few bucks from when a driver's Volvo burnt to the ground after he narrowly escaped with his life on a cold day. On a more positive note than reflected in my initial post, there have been times when people DID stop and ask me.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tcox4freedom View Post
    I still have one in my PUT. I also keep one in my other vehicles. But, I generally don't monitor any of them unless I'm traveling through a big city like ATL or Knoxville.

• IMHO-
    • Cb's are still the best way to get up to the minute "traffic" updates on the road ahead.

I will also get on the CB if I see a truck on the side of the road with flashers on. First; to ask if the driver needs assistance & second to warn any trucks that me be coming upon the situation.

Like the OP, I grew up using the CB & used one for years OTR. But, I've definitely noticed a change in folks on the highway. I've even experienced truckers that seem to go out of their way to run by me as close as possible when I've been broken down on the side of the road. The drivers could have at least given me the courtesy of moving left a little instead of passing within inches of me & my vehicle while I'm stopped in an "E" situation on the shoulder.

IMHO; truckers & trucking just isn't the same as it used to be. There seems to be a whole lot more stress on the drivers; and in turns, there seems to be a whole lot more drivers that just don't care.

-
    I'm thinking that shift in general attitude goes beyond truckers, even though that wasn't clearly reflected in the OP.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Spirit51 View Post
    I have thought long about responding to this one. I know many of you are coming from a personal incident, but as a professional who spent many years running all types of horrible accidents...you can't just rush in. Let me point out a couple.

A young couple ran into a pole...electric lines fell on the car...it caught fire. We could do nothing until the power was cut. We had to physically restrain a female student who was fighting to get to the car. If she had, we would have had three dead people and not just two. What was it like hearing two people burn to death screaming? You have no idea and I can still hear it, but what good is it for others to go to certain death and still do no good.

A woman stopped behind a car that had a accident...late at night. As she was going to the car, walking behind it another car going at a rapid rate hit her car from behind pushing it into the initial car in front...sandwiching her in between. The people in the first car had minor cuts and bruises. The woman who wanted to help lost both of her legs.

I have been to many calls were strangers stopped to help before our arrival and most of the time it is helpful, but be aware that "tunnel vision" can get you seriously injured or killed yourself. Be aware and beware. Never ever smirk at "Scene Safe". It doesn't help anyone (including the person you stop to "help") if you add to the patient load.
    I have had my fair share of dealings with professionals, and while by-and-large they have been positive, incompetence and ineptitude isn't strictly the domain of the private citizen.
    William T. Sherman

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    I'm thinking that shift in general attitude goes beyond truckers, even though that wasn't clearly reflected in the OP.
    I agree-
    I do think "technology" has definitely played a role in our society becoming more detached & less social.

On the other hand,
    I also believe "forums" like this have also helped society. I love being able to come to places like this & get to know people I never would have been privileged to communicate with otherwise.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tcox4freedom View Post
    I agree-
    I do think "technology" has definitely played a role in our society becoming more detached & less social.
    That could be a topic of a very long thread all by itself. Each advance isolates us further socially.
    William T. Sherman

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    I have had my fair share of dealings with professionals, and while by-and-large they have been positive, incompetence and ineptitude isn't strictly the domain of the private citizen.
    Not sure what prompted this response, but it think it is fair to say there are cases of "incompetence and ineptitude" in all fields. That includes LEOs, firefighter, EMS, doctors and even truckers. Most I have seen are not so. I was lucky to work with experienced and dedicated and COMPETENT people, but there were a couple of them that didn't fit that description.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Spirit51 View Post
    Not sure what prompted this response, but it think it is fair to say there are cases of "incompetence and ineptitude" in all fields. That includes LEOs, firefighter, EMS, doctors and even truckers. Most I have seen are not so. I was lucky to work with experienced and dedicated and COMPETENT people, but there were a couple of them that didn't fit that description.
    My response was prompted by the couple you mentioned. I will give you a for-instance. Some years ago, I discovered an elderly woman who had fallen in her yard on a cold winter night, and laid there helplessly for a some time. I summoned neighbors with blankets and had one call 9-1-1. Being the good witness, I quickly surmised that she probably had broken her hip, and was incoherent. We covered her and kept her still. The city-employed, certified EMTs arrived, at which time I advised them of her hip, and her delirium. Instead of taking control of the situation, they repeatedly asked her what she wanted them to do. Eventually, based upon her responses and despite our urgings to the contrary, one tried to help her stand (on what actually was a broken hip) with the assistance of a neighbor lady. She collapsed and literally passed out. She was eventually transported, and died a few weeks later.
    William T. Sherman

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links