Discharge or fire box.

Discharge or fire box.

This is a discussion on Discharge or fire box. within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Do any of you use a safety box to point your weapon at when chambering a round? I have always felt that the action of ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Discharge or fire box.

Discharge or fire box.

Do any of you use a safety box to point your weapon at when chambering a round? I have always felt that the action of chambering a round in a semi-auto is about the most dangerous thing an average person will do with their firearm during the course of a day. I know military bases use these and some police departments around here use them. If you have one what did you make it out of?
    I live in a small rural town and just step outside and point it at the petunia's if I'm worried about a mishap.

Michael

I just muzzle downwards towards an exterior wall when chambering so if by some crazy chance it discharged it would hit a wall then dirt.

NRA's number one safety rule.ALWAYS keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction.Second,keep your booger digger off the trigger until your ready to shoot.If you ALWAYS do this,you should'nt have a problem.

VIP Member
    I don't have a special place, I just make sure that it's pointed in a direction where a slam-fire won't have dire consequences.

This is more difficult for apartment-dwellers. I've heard Ayoob suggest a large stack of magazines or books..

Distinguished Member
    No fire-box's here... just common sense.
    If it's out of the safe, it's in a holster.
    If it's out of the holster it's pointed in a safe direction... or a target.

Same for me STL. Index finger on the slide and rack it. The trick is, I rarely do that. I leave mine chambered pretty much all the time.
    joker1 and Justified like this.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Quote Originally Posted by RayBar View Post
    NRA's number one safety rule.ALWAYS keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction.Second,keep your booger digger off the trigger until your ready to shoot.If you ALWAYS do this,you should'nt have a problem.
    Agreed, you shouldn't have a problem. Trouble accidents do happen, firearm malfunction, slam fires due to high primers, etc. The barrel or box is like extra insurance. Why do you think that experienced armorers use them?

Michael

Senior Member Array MotorCityGun's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RayBar View Post
    I don't want to hijack this thread, but I prefer Cooper's FOUR (4) safety rules.

1.All guns are always loaded. Even if they are not, treat them as if they are.
    2.Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy. (For those who insist that this particular gun is unloaded, see Rule 1.)
    3.Keep your finger off the trigger till your sights are on the target. This is the Golden Rule. Its violation is directly responsible for about 60 percent of inadvertent discharges.
    4.Identify your target, and what is behind it. Never shoot at anything that you have not positively identified.

Sorry for the interruption, now back to the original post...

When I chamber a round, I'm observing Rules 1, 2 and 3 above.
    “They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.” - Ben Franklin

NRA Life

To answer the original question; no I do not have a bucket or box of sand or magazines or wet newspapers to point at when I pull the trigger.

If one were to have a large number of exposures (if you did this frequently or all day long) it would be a good idea. Familiarity breeds contempt? Is that the saying?

Edit: I just reread the original question and the OP is actually asking about chambering a round. I don't think I will ever use a safe firebox when chambering a round.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

all of the above

All of the above for safety, but I carried in several South American countries. Every embassy that I went to had a fire box at the US citizen entrance where you had to clear your weapon and turn it over to the National Police manning the metal detector you would then go through. Gun got locked up until you left.
    Cherokee Slim
    NRA, SASS #72605, ROII, WBRO, Ocoee Rangers, Tennessee Mountain Maurauders. Semper Fi

What, wait a minute...you guys all carry with a round in the chamber? Isn't that dangerous. I mean even the Israeli's aren't that crazy. Won't it go off on its own? I read about it all the time.

Seriously, just point in a safe direction like everyone said.

VIP Member
    I guess I am in the minority. I actually do use a "back stop".

I am an apartment dweller. In my combination exercise/storage/dry-fire room I have around twenty telephone directories on a shelf. I use this for dry-fire and for chambering a round.

I certainly get some odd questions about all those phone books sometimes.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

In the military we use clearing barrels, they are for confirming your weapon is empty prior to entering a building. When we go condition 1 (chambering a round) we do so with weapons aimed at a berm (safe direction). FWIW.

Senior Member Array highvoltage's Avatar
    Get a 50 gallon drum, cut the front open, fill it with sand and prop it up.

Fire Box.JPG

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links