What is with all this Zombie "stuff"?

This is a discussion on What is with all this Zombie "stuff"? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Is it just "code speak" for the hoards of lazy, criminal losers who live off the government and will become a major problem when their ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: What is with all this Zombie "stuff"?

What is with all this Zombie "stuff"?

Is it just "code speak" for the hoards of lazy, criminal losers who live off the government and will become a major problem when their free ride comes to a end?

Surely far sighted people like yourselves have thought of it...haven't you?

I believe we are already seeing the beginning. Just think of all the "entitlement" crowd who will start coming after the people who work and contribute to society when the Country has to tighten it's collective belts. Between them and the unions, we are being bled dry. People who think they are "owed" maximum while doing minimum or nothing at all. Thugs and "gangsters" who will try to TAKE what they want.

What is your take on this.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit51 View Post
    Is it just "code speak" for the hoards of lazy, criminal losers who live off the government and will become a major problem when their free ride comes to a end?
    No, not at all. Zombies don't want your money, they want your brains! For free-thinking, open-minded people, zombies simply represent the ultimate cataclysmic challenge in preparedness and survival. If you can survive a zombie outbreak, you can survive anything! Plus, it's a good excuse to buy more stuff.
    shooterX likes this.

Unless the zombie outbreak scenario has been referenced here for much longer than I think it has, I believe it's just part of the zombie trend that's been around for a year or two since Walking Dead and other zombie games, movies, and TV shows have surfaced. It's kind of like how some people have a sudden and insatiable desire to talk about vampires after the Twilight series became popular, except zombies are much less gay and more likely to exist one day
    l1a1 likes this.

If you haven't read 'World War Z' by Max Brooks, you should pick up a copy. I realize it’s difficult to imagine a book about zombies, but it is actually a very good novel. The zombies are a part of the story throughout the book, but most of the story is about how the effects of a globally catastrophic event (in this case a world-wide zombie outbreak) would impact all aspects of life – political, international, religious, economic, technology, agricultural, and day-to-day survival. It is written like a collection of interviews with many different people about 10 years after the events occurred. I even know a couple gals at work who have read and enjoyed it. I’ve also seen people reading it in airports. My wife (non-zombie fan) and I listened to the book-on-tape when we drove out to Virginia last year, and she even kind of liked it. It’s kind of strange to think that a story about zombies could be interesting, but Brad Pitt and Leonardo DiCaprio liked it well enough that they got into a bidding war over it (Pitt won and the movie is supposed to be under way).

Anyway, the scary part of the book is not the actual zombies – the really scary part is the inaction and ineffectiveness of the various governments around the world as they find themselves having to figure out how to combat and defeat a threat that they have never had to deal with before. In that respect, the book is probably a fairly accurate prophesy.
    mano3 likes this.

The Mr. and I read together and are both admitted zombie fans - we'll have to pick that up!! And no, I don't find it too difficult at all to imagine a book about zombie infestation being very interesting :)

Wait a bit...yall are saying zombies ain't real? what a relief,I just thought I wasn't looking in the right places.
    It is pardonable to be defeated but never surprised.
    2 Ruger alaskan .454s
    Ruger P95
    Rem 870
    Barrett .50BMG

Distinguished Member Array deadguy's Avatar
    I work in the funeral industry as well as the cemetery business. I'd like to think we are the world's first line of defense. If one pops up, i'll be sure to let everyone know. 10mm baby. That's all I have to say.
    There's nothing like a funeral to make you feel alive

It's all for the Mall-Ninja's!
    ANGLICO likes this.

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lyz_grace View Post
    The Mr. and I read together and are both admitted zombie fans - we'll have to pick that up!! And no, I don't find it too difficult at all to imagine a book about zombie infestation being very interesting :)
    You would love this sort of "book on tape" podcast that I have been hooked on for over a year now then! A new episode almost every week. It's called We're Alive: A Story of Survival. Check it out and pass it on to other zombie fans!

Chapters & Episodes - The Zombie Podcast
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Good call Deadguy. I'm of the opinion that there are far too many good ol boys, sport shooters and firearm enthusiasts for a zombie outbreak to be a legitimate threat, even if I did believe in them as a possibility.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by paaiyan View Post
    Good call Deadguy. I'm of the opinion that there are far too many good ol boys, sport shooters and firearm enthusiasts for a zombie outbreak to be a legitimate threat, even if I did believe in them as a possibility.
    There was a comedian that had a bit about how zombies would never survive because their biggest predator, a non-zombie human, is also their only food and means of reproduction (via bite). He compared that to having to fight a lion every time you wanted to have sex or eat a sandwich lol.
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Quote Originally Posted by lyz_grace View Post
    except zombies are much less gay and more likely to exist one day
    Likely? Hardly - they're among us already, mostly concentrated in Washington, D.C.
    Last edited by Rock and Glock; May 16th, 2012 at 11:11 PM.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

My take on the Zombie Apocalypse popularity is that a lot of people see it as the ultimate predator/hunter/survival outlet with absolutely no societal guilt.

I mean, really, you get to shoot seemingly living, moving things that are hunting you and you are not actually killing a thing, since they are already dead!

People in our modern age are no longer hunters or gatherers, unless you count Wal-Mart, where I assure you, a lot of those people look to be in the early stages of becoming zombies anyway. But the million years of evolution still wants to get out there and take down the mammoth.

We are, after all, the apex predators, now mostly damned to sitting behind desks, or other menial jobs, but inside of each of us is still the need to track, hunt, take down and take back to camp the kill and watch as the rest of the tribe celebrates the mighty hunter.

(I do not include the anti-gun crowd in this group - they have been in-bred to the point of being just a step above hamsters and would more than likely die in the first fifteen minutes of any apocalypse when their cell phones died and they could no longer buy a McBurger)

Anyway, that is my take on the Zombie Apocalypse popularity. Humans still need to be the apex hunter and exercise their survival instincts.

Well, that and some of the gear is just really cool looking.

Fortune Favors the Bold!

I think the whole zombie thing is getting old... zombie guns... zombie ammunition... zombie targets... the list goes on.

I'm still waiting for the commemorative zombie underpants to come out.

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit51 View Post

Surely far sighted people like yourselves have thought of it...haven't you?

I believe we are already seeing the beginning. Just think of all the "entitlement" crowd who will start coming after the people who work and contribute to society when the Country has to tighten it's collective belts. Between them and the unions, we are being bled dry. People who think they are "owed" maximum while doing minimum or nothing at all. Thugs and "gangsters" who will try to TAKE what they want.

What is your take on this.
    it is also a clever marketing scheme from a certain ammo mfg.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links