Am I a Fuddy Duddy?

This is a discussion on Am I a Fuddy Duddy? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; On a flight from New Orleans to Houston a young man a couple of rows behind me was talking loudly and when he said some ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: Am I a Fuddy Duddy?

Am I a Fuddy Duddy?

On a flight from New Orleans to Houston a young man a couple of rows behind me was talking loudly and when he said some curse words I turned and told him to watch his language. He was talking loud enough for about 10 rows of people to hear him and I was wearing earplugs. He used the S word and A word several times but I responded when he used the F word twice in the same sentence.

I then noticed there were no kids in sight, only adults, but there was an elderly lady within earshot. The flight was full and I had no option to get away from the foul language.

In the young mans defense, I don't think he realized that he said it. I wasn't angry at him I just didn't want to hear that foul language, if he had kept his voice down I wouldn't have said anything.

To give you an idea of the volume, I could not hear the safety instructions from the flight attendant because this young man was talking so loudly.

Was I being too prude? Or otherwise exceeding my authority?
    babarock, Stubborn and Ram Rod like this.
    Yoda, I am, yes.

2. Remove Ads

I tend to keep to myself, if I have a problem I bring it to whoever is in charge and let them handle it. If it needs quicker attention (my kids are with me), then I'll deal with it myself.

I agree with you. You are "trapped" in a small place, you have the right to not be bombed with loud vile language. Stick to your guns. The kid needs to realize that not all people want to hear his loud foul mouth.
    mano3 and Rock and Glock like this.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

I think you did fine. The youth of this nation could stand to learn some more respect.
    shooterX and goldshellback like this.
    "My problem with life is not that it is rational nor that it is irrational, but that it is almost rational." - G.K. Chesterton

If you're a Fuddy Duddy, I'm one too.
    phreddy, sigs, RoadKill and 5 others like this.

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Badey View Post
    I think you did fine. The youth of this nation could stand to learn some more respect.
    I'm part of the youth of this nation, and couldn't agree with you more. Public is public, and if someone comes and tells you they don't appreciate something you're doing (within reason) take it like a man, be reasonable, and realize this world does not revolve around you.
    Spirit51 and surefire7 like this.
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

NCG
    I must be a fuddy duddy too. I completely agree with you. Whippersnapper needs to watch his language!!

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    The youth of this nation could stand to learn some more respect.
    I'm with you. However, "youth of this nation" needs to include people in their 40's and younger.
    Hopyard likes this.

Senior Moderator
    You should have slapped the piss out of him.

Oh wait... we cant do that anymore for fear of being sued. Sorry.

About all we can do nowadays is to rat him out to the stewardess and hope that it is taken care of. If not, complain loud and long until something is done.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

VIP Member
    I think you did the right thing. I have to admit that I can have a foul mouth at times, however I do attempt to keep my voice level and comments appropriate based on who's around me.
    "Don't start none, won't be none!"

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    You should have slapped the piss out of him.

Oh wait... we cant do that anymore for fear of being sued. Sorry.

About all we can do nowadays is to rat him out to the stewardess and hope that it is taken care of. If not, complain loud and long until something is done.
    Can't even do that to your kids without fear of going to jail today. Pretty sad if you ask me. I used to be told to go pick my own switches off of a tree.
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Senior Member Array MotorCityGun's Avatar
    Seriously, U DA' MAN.
    “They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.” - Ben Franklin

NRA Life

I was wondering if my fellow passengers were going to start clapping but alas.. that is actually the first time I have said something to a complete stranger admonishing their actions, I had not even looked at him before I turned and spoke so I was glad he was a 20 something and didn't look like hulk hogan.
    Ducmonster likes this.
    Yoda, I am, yes.

if that kid in FLA who shall not be named had a bit more respect for others he probably wouldn't have gotten into the incident that got him shot

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    I have travelled for a living for 30 years, It never ceases to amaze me how people act on planes. The language is bad, but i really do not want to hear any of their conversation. Goes for cell phones too. I have on rare occasions said something, but starting an eight hour flight in an argument with your seatmates can be awkward.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links