Bow Hunting

This is a discussion on Bow Hunting within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I live in south Florida and am interested in getting into bow hunting (boar, bear, alligator/crocodile, etc.) & bow fishing. The only problem is I ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By chiefjason

Thread: Bow Hunting

Bow Hunting

I live in south Florida and am interested in getting into bow hunting (boar, bear, alligator/crocodile, etc.) & bow fishing. The only problem is I have no experience bow hunting (or hunting in general) & have no idea where to get started.

Any pointers on a good forum or place an amateur can go to get started would be greatly appreciated.

2. Remove Ads

Archerytalk.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Mike
    Glock 17, Dale Fricke Archangel, Wilderness Tactical belt.
    My Guns and Tattoos Blog

Check out your F&G dept, in MO free classes are offered. A good bow shop can get you set up correctly. A few things that get ignored:
    1) broadheads shoot differently than field points (even of the same weight). Practice with field points, but sight your bow in with the broadheads you intend to hunt with. Number your arrows (sharpie on a vane works well) to determine if one is consistently out of the group.
    2) visualize the path of the arrow with respect to the vital organs - if the deer is quartering away, you'll have to shoot farther back than a broadside shot.
    3) your point of impact will vary when shooting from a elevated stand so try to sight in your bow from a similar height. If you can't, the distance for your sight pin that matters is the level distance from the bottom of your tree to the animal, not the incline distance from your stand to the animal.

Sponsor
    Find a local bow hunting shop. The locals are always going to do more for you than the big box stores.

Remember that you do not need the newest, fastest, most high tech. gear to kill Bambi. My first deer was taken with a bow that, by today's standards was just barely better than a stick and a string. Bambi still went into my freezer.

Google 3D shoots in your area. Great fun. Great training. And a great way to meet other archery enthusiasts.
    Last edited by luvmy40; May 18th, 2012 at 08:25 AM.
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

All I do is bow hunt I do recommend goin to a pro shop to make sure everything is set up right and tuned. The above statement that broad heads shoot different is only the case if you shoot cheap ones or your bow isn't tuned. I use slick tricks they are a 4 blade fixed blade and shoot right with my field points.

I'll second finding a local shop and the 3D shoots. Maybe look for a local group that shoots. And practice. A lot.
    ctr and CaptSmith like this.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

VIP Member
    Are crossbows legal for all the game you wish to pursue?
    Some will cry foul, but oh well.
    If you are still young in age then maybe go with a moderately priced compound package. You can find them for around $300-500 .

As an aside, here's proof that if your timing is right, you can do your gator AND pig hunting at the same time,
    800-Pound Gator Caught By Georgia Man | www.wsbtv.com

Personally I think I would go out gator hunting with a little more medicine than a just a bow.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Legality of crossbows depends on the state - some are only for disabled hunters, some are legal for all during rifle season/disabled only during archery season.

Links