Search bubbles

Search bubbles

This is a discussion on Search bubbles within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I came across this site this morning and I thought it was interesting: http://dontbubble.us It is admittedly a plug for the search engine duckduckgo, but ...

Thread: Search bubbles

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar

Search bubbles

I came across this site this morning and I thought it was interesting:
    http://dontbubble.us

It is admittedly a plug for the search engine duckduckgo, but it has some references and suggestions for searches, such as 'guns' to run in google (try it). What the article points out is that Google will filter the results and present to you things that it thinks you will like based upon your past searches. In other words, it filters the results to be in line with your views and suppresses contrary ones. Whether or not one views this as a good or bad thing is an individual preference, of course.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9700 using Tapatalk

The internet can, if we allow it, "filter" the news of the world to "fit" our preconceptions, thus reinforcing all of our beliefs, right wrong, healthy, unhealthy. This is not terribly different than the media in prior generations either though, as competing choices gave users choices that could have the same effect. For example, purchasing the WSJ rather than USA Today daily, or watching FOX versus MSM choices.

To be honest though, I really don't believe a search engine should anticipate my views or suppress contrary views. I think it should be my choice.

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    -
    I always clear my history & try alternative search methods to get what I want. The paid search 'results' are a real pain, though.
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

To show how truly ill I am, I was just contemplating what they do on tax law searches.

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    What you want to watch with google is whether or not you've (ever) signed in for their services, e.g. Google Docs, and they can then identify your browser. See the attached screen shot, where I've highlighted the place to look. When your logged in, the color of the indicator is light grey, making it very easy to miss. Clearing the history should help in this regard. They had my work computer pegged and I noticed some interesting differences between Google results for a keyword such as "guns" and other search engines, where the Google results did seem oriented towards my interests.
    Attached Images

Links