What is a vigilante? Is that a good or a bad thing?

This is a discussion on What is a vigilante? Is that a good or a bad thing? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; The main problem as I see it is that very few people are using the same definition of the word. Take the general ignorance of ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: What is a vigilante? Is that a good or a bad thing?

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    The main problem as I see it is that very few people are using the same definition of the word. Take the general ignorance of the population and add to it the tendency of some organizations to redefine the meanings of words for their own purposes (news media, governments, etc.) and the result is confusion, uncertainty, hesitation, and fear.
    It's no wonder people don't know what to think.

P.S. I think it's fascinating that the root word of "ignorance" is "ignore". Does that not imply willfulness? But that's another topic.

2. Remove Ads

I was with the USN Vigilante community. We flew the North American Rockwell RA5C. aka Vigilante; unarmed and unafraid. I was with RVAH-12, aka The Speartips, were the first ones in and the last ones out; just like a Speartip. At the time, you needed us and we did our job well. You never heard of us. That is OK.

Stay save,
    Vv

As far as vigilantes go I would say they are first off a bad thing because they circumvent the rule of law that we have in this country. Have there been situations that I have agreed with people acting as a vigilante? Yes. In certain isolated situations I feel that justice has been better served this way but as a rule definately not. Regardless of my feelings about justice, it still constitutes a criminal act.
    It's kind of like how some people have a sudden and insatiable desire to talk about vampires after the Twilight series became popular, except zombies are much less gay and more likely to exist one day

Vigilante, used to mean more a person who took it upon themselves to deal out their own form of punishment, without due process and proof the person punished was actually the person guilty of the crime or had the benefit of a trial.

Do something about stopping a crime, protecting oneself or others from a threat & crime, and even a citizen's arrest, are not considered vigilantism.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links