Death Row Inmate Wants Hip Surgery

This is a discussion on Death Row Inmate Wants Hip Surgery within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; You are correct GG healthcare is not a constitutional right but the 8th amendment states: Prohibits excessive fines and excessive bail, as well as cruel ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree54Likes

Thread: Death Row Inmate Wants Hip Surgery

VIP Member
    You are correct GG healthcare is not a constitutional right but the 8th amendment states:

Prohibits excessive fines and excessive bail, as well as cruel and unusual punishment

Cruel and unusual punishment is a phrase describing punishment which is considered unacceptable due to the suffering, pain, or humiliation it inflicts on the condemned person. They especially include some forms of capital punishment. These exact words were first used in the English Bill of Rights in 1689, and later were also adopted by the Eighth Amendment to the United States Constitution (1787) and British Slavery Amelioration Act (1798).

So it will be argued that this is in fact cruel and unusual punishment as defined by law and the taxpayers will have to pay for this surgery or whatever he needs even if the day after he gets out of the hospital he goes to the execution chamber. Such is life.

Nick not disagreeing with you at all I have watched and then had to clean up the mess after people blew themselves up in the name of religion so not much makes me gasp anymore. The fact is though you either support the constitution as a whole or not at all, you cannot pick and choose based on what you like or don't like.

Mass murderers, rapists, pedophiles all have the same rights that you or I have like it or not and are in fact innocent until proven guilty and even after being found guilty are protected by the law and keep many of the same rights and protections under the law.

Now before someone jumps up and states how I am some weak, liberal minded whatever. Those of you that know me from this forum know my views by now and being liberal, soft on crime, sympathetic to criminals and so on is not in my nature. I am simply saying the Constitution, like the Bible, is a take it or leave it document, it all applies or none of it applies that is a simple fact of life.
    21bubba likes this.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

2. Remove Ads

I don't endorse any state-sponsored cruelty. I don't want to excuse cruelty, or pay people to be cruel. If the man is in severe or constant pain, he should have access to pain medication.

That said, I wonder if there're any experimental hips that need to undergo clinical trials? Honestly, if everyone gives a 'best effort', and the company would be willing to pay for the surgery (and if the treatment was likely to relieve the man's pain), it should be fine to do. It would be win/win. The inmate could get relief, and the company would have the opportunity to conduct an autopsy on their patient.
    l1a1 and babarock like this.
    Mental illness incidents are used to threaten gun rights.
    The March of Dimes headed off the Universal Iron Lung coverage debate, just sayin'.
    Alternately, for those with a toolshed and ideas.

Delayed justice can be sweet justice at times...I'm just sayin'...

I'm not saying that those on death row should be abused, but until all the poor people in this country can get a hip fixed for free, the dirtbags in jail should be the LAST ones in line.
    Spirit51, GunGeezer and msgt/ret like this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

This hip issue seems like more of a quality of life thing, and not a life threatening condition. He can get by with pain meds, or they should make it an opportunity for students getting in to that line of medicine to get experience under their belts.

Giving this guy a top of the line replacement hip is like replacing the ball joints on a car you're sending to the junk yard next week.
    GunGeezer and Spirit51 like this.

I'm of the thought, Those convicted of a capital offence, Well Lose their rights OMO ; )
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

VIP Member
    Folks you are all absolutely right. It is just like the tv talk shows who spend thousands on DNA testing to prove "Who baby daddy is" while there are inmates where DNA evidence could prove final innocence or guilt but they cannot afford it and the state won't pay for it.

I like the idea of the "experimental hip" at least get some use out of him. I agree that is pain meds will work forget about the surgery.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Give him a damn wheelchair,it ain't like he walks more than eight feet in any direction most of the day.
    RETSUPT99 and Spirit51 like this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Having had a hip replacement I can tell you having a bad hip it's like having a tooth ache all the time. Even laying in bed.

Let's not forget what this guy did. He is a horrible killer and the logical solution is to exterminate him to put him out of his misery but NO new hip.

Would you give a mad dog a new hip or would you shoot it in the head?

If it were left up to me I'd rip off his bad leg and beat him to death with it!!! Then sell the video to help pay for his jail time expenses.
    GunGeezer, msgt/ret and ccman like this.
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoJoGunn View Post
    Yep.

"I don't always do hip replacement on death row convicts, but when I do............."
    Do you drink Dos Equis?
    JoJoGunn likes this.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Quote Originally Posted by C hawk Glock View Post
    Do you drink Dos Equis?
    Absolutely. It would definitely enhance my surgical "skills".

I was replying in silly way to someone who said they had the "tools" to do the surgery.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Need tools for surgery for this guy? Got me thinking. Medical experiments on his hip? Great idea.

Lets do an experiment to find out out much gun powder(tool) it would take to blow his leg clean off. Then let new medical students see if they can save him before he bleeds out. Now that's a win/win.
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    By the way, over the past 3 years I have had both my hips replaced. My right one 3 yrs. ago and my left one a little over a yr. It took almost 2 yrs. to completely re-hab. the right and I still am having some pain issues in my left butt cheek area. Yes, it's a different pain & a whole lot better than the constant hurt I suffered while doing anything but sitting before the surgery, but pain is still pain. This guy should be dead before he has a pain free day. I say give him some heavy-duty drugs and I'm betting he forgets the whole hip replacement thing. I waited 20 yrs. from the time I was first diagnosed as needing my hips replaced until I had the first one done. My primary care physician actually was the one who convinced me to wait. He told me the risks of major surgery and that the longer I waited, the better the outcome because of advances in technology. 20 yrs. ago I would most likely have had to have another replacement after 10 yrs. and I would have had a scar about 10 to 15 in. long. My surgeon promised me that no matter how long I lived, I would never wear out these hips and you would have to be way too close to my bare butt to even see my 3-4 in. scars.

Forget him. Why should we pay for that?

Why don't we get him a flat screen and cable TV while we're at it? A bad hip is an illness or condition NOT a punishment. Punishment is inflicted
    Why?? Because at the last second, the Police are minutes away.

Death Row Inmate Wants Hip Surgery
    How about some surgery to harvest whatever useable organs he has before he gets the needle. That way he could be giving back something instead of taking more from society.
    msgt/ret and Spirit51 like this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links