So here's what's been consuming a bunch of my time....

This is a discussion on So here's what's been consuming a bunch of my time.... within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; An ex-neighbor asked if I could build an electric go kart for her physically challenged (is that the political correct term for today???) grandson. I ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: So here's what's been consuming a bunch of my time....

Senior Moderator

An ex-neighbor asked if I could build an electric go kart for her physically challenged (is that the political correct term for today???) grandson. I said yes and the thing became unbelievably problematic. I won't get into all that went wrong, suffice it to say I've probably designed and built about three variations. Here's the latest and last.

Oh, when you look at the pics, some of the welds aren't as pretty as they should be. I had some welder problems and just let a few ugly welds go to save the time of grinding them down.

Ross, shown here in a fitting of an earlier model,

is 18 years old, and that's as big as he's expected to get.

The go kart is electric, powered by three small 12 volt deep cycle batteries which power a 36 volt, 600W (just a bit shy of 1 HP, 746W) permanent magnet DC motor with built-in 6.67:1 gear reduction transmission. The power will be controlled either by a microcontroller and MOSFET H-bridge, which I already have designed and made, but I'm tempted to go all analog, just to show the world it can still be done. The motor speed will controlled by pulse width modulation. Ross can only operate one foot pedal and I've designed that to make the cart go, brake, and panic brake.

When he presses the switch, the control circuitry, be it digital or analog, will soft start and accelerate up to cruise speed. If he releases the throttle pedal, it will soft stop via pulse width modulating dynamic braking. If he panics and presses too hard/far on the throttle, it will sharply engage dynamic braking.

The steering is a true Ackerman configuration. I designed the geometry in AutoCad to get the response to produce the Ackerman steering. Ackerman steering is basically designing linkages to turn the inside wheel slightly sharper than the outside wheel. You can see that in the pictures here:

The final design, morphed through several four wheel variations, into it's final three wheel version.

The reason I decided on a three wheel design is it puts all the weight on the rear end of the kart on the single drive and braking wheel. Plus, it is very compliant with uneven terrain. I started with a rigid frame with the drive wheel on one side as shown in the version with Ross sitting in it. I just couldn't get comfortable with that because the drive/braking wheel would only have half of the rear end weight and it was not compliant with uneven terrain. Plus a one sided drive wheel, which is often found on go karts exhibit a resist/aid in turns. That means when you turn toward the drive wheel side, it resists the turn. When you turn the other way the drive wheel helps with the turn.

Next was a pivoting rear axle which was compliant with uneven terrain but still the drive/brake wheel would only have one half of the weight of the rear end. And it had the asymmetrical steering problem described above.

I didn't even attempt to use a live axle because it resists turns in either direction and that just didn't seem like something Ross could manage. Sooo....the three wheeler!

The two small wheels at the rear don't contact the ground - they're just catch wheels should it tip. If I could have located more weight toward the front, I probably wouldn't have put the catch wheels on at all.

In an early fitting session, I discovered if the steering wheel was positioned so he could reach it from the seat, then he couldn't get into the kart. So I designed this. Here's the steering wheel in it's drive position - notice the little ring just under the steering wheel:

That little ring is a handle to unlock the steering wheel - here it is in it's unlocked position:

This allows the steering wheel to fold forward to this position:

And as you can see, he has plenty of room to get into the kart and seat.

Here's a rear view. You can see the catch wheels, the drive wheel and the 0.8 HP motor and gearbox. I don't have the chain installed.

The wiring and control stuff begins this week. I may get a buddy to help with programming the microcontroller board or make PC boards if I decide to go analog. That will give me time to get the wiring and E-stops, etc. in place.

Just about done - I hope this week finishes it up.

Ron
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

You may think it's a simple little machine, but I'm really impressed. Looks fantastic
    jwhite75 likes this.

It was very nice of you to do for your neighbor.
    Gunnutty, Hopyard and shooterX like this.

hbc
    Wow, hugely impressive. Well done, and what a nice gesture on your part!
    Hopyard likes this.

I'm very impressed, both at the kart and the gesture for your ex-neighbor's family.

You need to guard the nip point and the chain sprocket. Too easy to get clothes, hair or fingers caught.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yoda, I am, yes.

I'm impressed! I could never do anything other than burn myself when I tried to weld...
    aznav likes this.
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

Great job Tangle, On Faster carts I put tie rods inside & idle arm under frame. That way it can take quite a hit without knocking out front end.

Your a GREAT Nieghbor & a fine man to help out the less fortunate. Good luck on the electric stuff as I see you've got a good grip on it ; )
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

I LOVE that whole project. Job well done!!
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

Maybe want to put on a front bumper just in case of a mishap or malfunction. Remember Murphy's law. The #1 injury in go-karts are foot injuries.
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

VIP Member
    I was tempted to make a wise crack about giving the kid a 2 cycle, but that would not be nice. You are a great neighbor and a kind man. Thank you for posting that.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Wow,very nice job. Your neighbor is lucky to know such a talented man.

God bless you! I can't say it any plainer than that.

You are that young man's hero.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Administrator
    Hey...Tangle. I finally got to see it finish painted and with yer modifications. You Da Man!

Can I request a VID once you get it all rigged up and running?

I want to see it rolling under its own power.
    goldshellback likes this.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

WOW!

That is a very cool project.

You are an awesome person to 1) take the time to build this and 2) even moreso to do it in such a way that isn't just to get him by.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links