I had an incredible opportunity yesterday!

This is a discussion on I had an incredible opportunity yesterday! within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; My dad was in Dayton Ohio yesterday attending a ham fest. My son and I drove up from the Cincinnati area to visit the USAF ...

Like Tree6Likes
  • 5 Post By ericb327
  • 1 Post By JoJoGunn

Thread: I had an incredible opportunity yesterday!

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar

I had an incredible opportunity yesterday!

My dad was in Dayton Ohio yesterday attending a ham fest. My son and I drove up from the Cincinnati area to visit the USAF museum. My dad had a friend with him that is an aerospace engineer working with NASA on manned missions to mars. We all headed out to the museum. We got a guided tour from one of the smartest guys on the planet. This guy knew everything about the planes. I was completely blown away. I told my son that hardly anyone gets the experience we did. It was great to see my dad who has finally recovered from cancer surgery last July. Anyone within driving distance should go see the USAF museum in Dayton Ohio, it's Free!

Just thought i would share!
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    Wow. What an experience!!
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

Sounds outstanding!! You should have recorded the whole thing
    We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would harm us.
    - George Orwell Military

VIP Member
    Fantastic way to spend the day, been wanting to visit the museum myself, may even find an airplane or two that I have worked on or flown. Anytime you can spend wit a parent is precious.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Justified View Post
    Sounds outstanding!! You should have recorded the whole thing
    I had no idea about this guy until he started talking in the museum. I told my son to stick close, listen, ask questions and consider himself lucky. We found out some interesting stuff about stealth technology that is not advertised. Some Russian Scientist actually pioneered it and wrote a paper on it. Years later we started listening. The radar signature for B2 bombers and the F22 Raptor is the size of a golf ball.
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    I haven't been there in probably ten years. It's strange how when something that people come from all over the nation to visit is right down the road it is not really a big deal to locals. I think I will make sure to get by there within the next few weeks.
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Quote Originally Posted by ericb327 View Post
    I had no idea about this guy until he started talking in the museum. I told my son to stick close, listen, ask questions and consider himself lucky. We found out some interesting stuff about stealth technology that is not advertised. Some Russian Scientist actually pioneered it and wrote a paper on it. Years later we started listening. The radar signature for B2 bombers and the F22 Raptor is the size of a golf ball.
    I love info like that. For some reason it is the only stuff I remember, not birthdays or anniversaries.
    We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would harm us.
    - George Orwell Military

I've had the pleasure a couple of times to visit this location. It is a treasure. Glad you had a good time with family and friends.
    GCO Member
    NRA Member
    NRA RSO & Certified Basic Pistol Instructor

I have been there at least 4 or 5 times, the last one in 2003. The place is awesome, each time I go, I see something that I didn't on the last trip.

I have also told lots of people about the place too. I need to go back to it again sometime.
    oneshot likes this.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Took my kids and they loved it. Pretty heavy moment looking at Bock's Car, the actual B-29 that dropped the A bomb on Nagasaki. A lot of history and amazing technological innovation documented in that place for sure. Kids loved the space capsules as well.
    It's kind of like how some people have a sudden and insatiable desire to talk about vampires after the Twilight series became popular, except zombies are much less gay and more likely to exist one day

VIP Member
    WPAFB... Wright-Patterson Air Force Base - Home

Is one very cool palce.
    I was there with my wife in '89, right after our first born came, literally a couple of weeks.
    My cousin from Sacramento who works with the government in enviromental matters, was there for something, and gave me a holler, so we went down for a few days.
    He had clearance to access the other bldgs. that are not part of the every day display, but still had aircraft, and other things that were not top secret, but still not available to the general public.
    We vowed we would take another trip there , and in 2007, went down with our 4 kids, who at the time were 18, 15, 13 and 3.
    They had a great time, but still not as worked up as their old man gets when he sees things like that.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Sounds like a great place to visit. I live very close to Whitman Air Force Base and love seeing the B 2 Stealth almost every day. It is beautiful. Missed the open house there this weekend. I will try to NOT miss the next one.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Spirit51 View Post
    Sounds like a great place to visit. I live very close to Whitman Air Force Base and love seeing the B 2 Stealth almost every day. It is beautiful. Missed the open house there this weekend. I will try to NOT miss the next one.
    Please tell me you don't live in Knob Noster! I spent 2 glorious days at Whiteman back in, I think it was 77, it was Dover AFB contingency base, and we had to hurricane evac out to there.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Sounds like a fun time, I'll have to look into it if I'm ever in the area. If you are really into planes you should check out EAA some time. Here in Oshkosh, Wisconsin we have the biggest airshow in the world every year. People come from all over to check it out, it really is a great opportunity.

Links