Soldier finally gets his guns back

This is a discussion on Soldier finally gets his guns back within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; "The active duty soldier who had his guns confiscated by the District of Columbia two years ago will have his property returned by Memorial Day. ...

Like Tree7Likes
  • 2 Post By mlr1m
  • 1 Post By dukalmighty
  • 3 Post By RETSUPT99
  • 1 Post By msb45

Thread: Soldier finally gets his guns back

Soldier finally gets his guns back

"The active duty soldier who had his guns confiscated by the District of Columbia two years ago will have his property returned by Memorial Day. It took the help of a high-powered lawyer, two U.S. Senators, a member of Congress and national publicity to force the obstinate District to show some respect for the Constitution. It should never happen again."
    MILLER: Soldier gets his guns - Washington Times
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

2. Remove Ads

I wonder how much it cost him to get them back? Seems to me that if D.C. was in the wrong they should have to pay his costs.

Michael
    Guest1 and Eagleks like this.

I wonder if the lawyer took his case "pro Bono" free,sometimes people /companies/government will pull some stunt that an ordinary person doesn't have the ability to fight,and every now and then a lawyer will take up their case to try to right a wrong.
    In all reality these types of overbearing government figures that thumb their noses at due process etc. can cause rational people to become irrational.
    Guest1 likes this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    The article states that he was lawfully transporting his guns through DC. IIRC, he actually made a stop at Walter Reed for an appointment and was, therefore, not lawfully transporting as he stopped in DC for other than an incidental stop (gas, meal, bathroom break).

Don't get me wrong, I think this whole line of law is stupid as the 2A addresses the issue pretty well, but with our current SCOTUS and the proclivity to allow infringements by calling them reasonable regulations (and then not even defining what that term means), one needs to be aware of and follow the laws if they don't want trouble. The soldier did not do so, and trouble found him. He is lucky to not have a felony conviction and it is down right amazing he is getting his weapons back from DC. All things considered, it would have probably been cheaper to go replace what was stolen by the DC cops ($10K IIRC) than to pay the lawyer, but...

I am glad it all worked out for him in the end, but this does reveal why it is important to know and follow the laws.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

People should want MORE government because.....????????
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Nice how they can prove they're in the wrong when enough sunlight shines on them. I'm sure they'll get right on returning all the other guns they've stolen tomorrow.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    Nice how they can prove they're in the wrong when enough sunlight shines on them. I'm sure they'll get right on returning all the other guns they've stolen tomorrow.
    Don't hold your breath!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Just what we need -- 2 US Senators need to step in to force some petty bureaucrat to do his job. Q - How many times has something like this happened where the heavy hitters didn't get involved? A - Too many

Another lesson learned, never consent to a search. If he would have just shut up and refused a search I bet he wouldn't be in this shape. For those who say what's the harm, here your proof. As for me, yea I'll stand here while you call a judge and articulate pc. Arrest me so you can search as "incidental" to an arrest, that's what lawyers are for.
    gigamortis likes this.

i'm glad the man got his guns back. Good on the two US senators who went to bat for him.

Links