Getting ready for a garage sale at Grandma's house with Anti Sister in-law

This is a discussion on Getting ready for a garage sale at Grandma's house with Anti Sister in-law within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; So this weekend we were helping the wife's Grandma get ready for a garage sale. I was outside finishing up some yardwork when my sister ...

Like Tree12Likes
  • 7 Post By BigStick
  • 2 Post By Guest1
  • 1 Post By Guest1
  • 1 Post By Nick62
  • 1 Post By gasmitty

Thread: Getting ready for a garage sale at Grandma's house with Anti Sister in-law

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar

Wink Getting ready for a garage sale at Grandma's house with Anti Sister in-law

So this weekend we were helping the wife's Grandma get ready for a garage sale. I was outside finishing up some yardwork when my sister in-law starts freaking out and my wife calls me inside. I'm busy, and I can tell from my wife's voice that it isn't urgent, so I put the last of the pile I was working on in the yard debris bin and head towards the front door.

My wife come out holding a revolver and a disgusted look on her face. Now, my wife is not exactly a gun person, but she shoots well enough and has a basic knowledge of guns, so I am confused by her demeanor in this sittuation. I was excited that they had found something cool, and annoyed by her sister, but was not sure why my wife looked unhappy.

I figured it out as she got within 20 ft and I could actually see the "gun."

It was an old bb gun shaped like a classic revolver. One of the cast metal type where the two halves are molded as one piece each and there is a giant/gaping seam down the entire length of the barrel and there are no moving parts but the hammer and trigger, the "cylinder" shaped portion is molded into the frame with the rest of it.

I started laughing when I realized that my wife's expression of disgust was not for the "weapon" itself, but for her sister reaction of fear/panic/phobia to a toy that could clearly never contain even so much as the gunpowder from a cap gun. I thought the "gun" was neat and started trying to figure out how it worked while the SIL panicked that the neighbors could see us with this "weapon" and might call the police.

After explaining to her that OC is legal in WA and that the police would not show up and shoot us because we were holding a toy gun, I asked her how much she wanted to put it up for in the garage sale. She insisted that I remove it from her presence and that she would never sell something like that at her garage sale. She then made me promise to put it away out of sight until we left the next day.

The whole sittuation was actually very entertaining, and I have a new bb gun out of the deal. I wonder what she would have done if I had lifted my shirt and said: "That's not a gun, now this is a real gun" (with a great Australian accent of course).
    Walk softly ...

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    2 generationss of social engineering.....guns are evil

but its ok if we call the police to come by and protect us with their guns
    ....assuming the BG's left us alive to be protected.

---so, how was the sale? anything else of interest?
    Be aware, be deliberate in your actions and be accurate.
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    Maybe Grandma wanted to keep it? Did you ask!
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

I think I would put her away and out of sight till the next day!
    goldshellback and BigStick like this.

When seconds count,the police are minutes away!
    Quote Originally Posted by claude clay View Post
    2 generationss of social engineering.....guns are evil

but its ok if we call the police to come by and protect us with their guns
    ....assuming the BG's left us alive to be protected.

---so, how was the sale? anything else of interest?
    msgt/ret likes this.

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    The sale is next weekend, we were just helping to get everything ready. The sister lives there with Gma, and Gma already told me to take anything I wanted. She even tried to force a bunch of stuff on me I didn't want. I had to keep saying, no thank you, we already have something like that...

I usually have some really interesting conversations with the SIL. Most of them brought about by her lack on information that she gets in her "news" shows (Colber and that other "funny" guy, can't remember his name). She may usually be wrong, but she is usually at least willing to talk about it. This time just made me shake my head and sigh.
    Walk softly ...

Quote Originally Posted by BigStick View Post
    I wonder what she would have done if I had lifted my shirt and said: "That's not a gun, now this is a real gun" (with a great Australian accent of course).
    ^^^+1^^^

Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan; by way of St. Mayberry, GA
    I can't advise you on anything, I'd get us both in trouble.....
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Different strokes. You will probably never win this battle.
    "Clearly that's a YOU problem not a ME problem."

If the old gal was that freaked out over a BB gun, just imagine how she'd react to a fake big hairy spider in the toilet bowl! (hint hint)
    babarock likes this.

Wonder if you could get a few bucks for the SIL?
    GCO Member
    NRA Member
    NRA RSO & Certified Basic Pistol Instructor

NCG
    Wow! Have fun with ALL that. LOL

I have to wonder if SIL experienced some attempted break-ins at her place or was otherwise threatened with violence if she'd be tripping over herself to call you to come over to protect her!
    BigStick likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by BigStick View Post
    I wonder what she would have done if I had lifted my shirt and said: "That's not a gun, now this is a real gun" (with a great Australian accent of course).
    Sounds like something I would have done, right there. LOL.

Your sister-in-law.... need de-programming.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Links