Earthquake in the Gulf of Mexico

This is a discussion on Earthquake in the Gulf of Mexico within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; An earthquake was registered this morning at 9:56Am in the Gulf of Mexico. 6.0 on the Richter Scale. No Tsunami warnings known of yet. I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

An earthquake was registered this morning at 9:56Am in the Gulf of Mexico. 6.0 on the Richter Scale. No Tsunami warnings known of yet. I felt tremors here. Anyone else experience it? Just a light shaking, no damage. Very odd. Kind of scary too.. I always said its either hurricanes or volcanos, or earthquakes or tornados.. depending on region.. now I wonder if this will recur! Three of four sucks!
    Last edited by floridaguy911; September 10th, 2006 at 12:56 PM.
    N.R.A. Member
    G.O.A. Member
    Unified Sportsmen of Florida Member

Assistant Administrator
    R6 would not I'd hope have enough energy to create a significant Tsunami but it sure feels close to home Huh!

I can't recall right now how the ''ring of fire'' ties in with the Gulf region.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

First Time I Have Heard...

of this! Obviously, we felt nothing in the Gainesville Area, but we did live in Alaska's Aleutian Islands for 7 years and had earthquakes every week. (I believe the 'ring of fire' is in the Pacific...)
    The largest quake we had was an 8.0! We were evacuated into the mountains, but no tidal wave. The center was on the ocean floor a few miles off the island of Adak (where we lived).

It was a very secure naval base which was used to monitor Russian activity...no news...kept quiet...no one said much. Adak Naval Air Station is now closed, so I don't have to kill anybody after telling them about this news.

It was 'attention getting'... much bigger than the usual 2.5 - 6.5 range that we had many...many of...
    The concrete floors rolled like waves of water, walls slowly moved...it was very odd. It lasted for about 45 seconds and everyone, being very used to quakes, started looking around with grave concern. It created a (boat type) motion sickness for a lot of people...me included! (The normal quakes were never a concern!)

Earthquakes are a unique experience...I hope that we here in Florida don't have to worry about a BIG one...ever!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Ring of fire? Wrong ocean.

Quakes can happen all over. There was another there that registered 5.2 back in Feb. As for tsunamis, there needs to be significant displacement togenerate tsunamis. You can have a big quake, but without big displacement, then no tsunami or no big tsunami.
    Last edited by Double Naught Spy; September 10th, 2006 at 05:33 PM.

Many of us in Florida probably felt it, but didn't recognize it for what it was.

I certainly felt it, at first I thought it was a sonic boom. But then I noticed I wasn't actually hearing it, and it was lasting too long.

If you felt it, add your info to the data base. Or if you just want to read up on it, you can do that too.

For the "real deal" info, go HERE.

mm
    Political Correctness has now "evolved" into Political Cowardice.

Double Naught...

Not wrong ocean...The so called 'Ring of Fire' is the Northern part of the Pacific PLate...in the Pacific Ocean!
    The 8.0 earthquake took place while we were in Adak, Alaska...it was in the Aleutian Trench...just 10-12 miles from the coastline of Adak...the Aleutian Trench is the northern part of the Pacific Plate.

Stay safe!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    of this! Obviously, we felt nothing in the Gainesville Area, but we did live in Alaska's Aleutian Islands for 7 years and had earthquakes every week. (I believe the 'ring of fire' is in the Pacific...)
    The largest quake we had was an 8.0! We were evacuated into the mountains, but no tidal wave. The center was on the ocean floor a few miles off the island of Adak (where we lived).

It was a very secure naval base which was used to monitor Russian activity...no news...kept quiet...no one said much. Adak Naval Air Station is now closed, so I don't have to kill anybody after telling them about this news.

It was 'attention getting'... much bigger than the usual 2.5 - 6.5 range that we had many...many of...
    The concrete floors rolled like waves of water, walls slowly moved...it was very odd. It lasted for about 45 seconds and everyone, being very used to quakes, started looking around with grave concern. It created a (boat type) motion sickness for a lot of people...me included! (The normal quakes were never a concern!)

Earthquakes are a unique experience...I hope that we here in Florida don't have to worry about a BIG one...ever!

ret
    That not the set of Islands smack dab in the middle of the Bering sea, the Domids or similar? Where the Soviets had one Island and the US the one next to it?

Adak Island...

is about a 1,300 mile flight out into the Aleutian Chain. The U.S. owns the chain out to the end...Attu. The last two islands are Kiska and Attu. They were occupied by the Japanese during the war.

Colin...I believe you are speaking of the Diomede Islands...much further north and lie between Alaska and Siberia (Russia). Little Diomede belongs to the U.S. and Big Diomede belongs to Russia.

ret

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I did not fill it,did not know about until I
    signed on and checked the news.
    "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
    - Sir Winston Churchill

Member Array chiefs-special-guy's Avatar
    I was at my computer, maybe looking at this site and felt it in my feet. I thought it was a large truck passing by, or the AC kicking in.I actually got up and looked out the window, etc. When I saw the article on CNN, I was astounded.
    That's the news from the Plains..
    God Bless
    Six for sure...Uh, I mean Five. Five for sure..

Administrator
    The last time I felt the Earth move under my feet I think I was listening to a Carole King album.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

The ring of fire is essentially from west coast of S. America up the west coast of central and N. America, across the Aleutian Islands, down Japan and into the Philippines and S. Pacific Islands. The ring is the edges of the Pacific and Nazca Plates being subducted beneath continental crust.
    http://pubs.usgs.gov/gip/dynamic/fire.html

I wouldn't worry about the Gulf becoming very active. The east coast and Gulf are on the trailing edge of the N. American Plate, and so are less subject to the pressures built up out west, the leading edge of the plate.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Not wrong ocean...The so called 'Ring of Fire' is the Northern part of the Pacific PLate...in the Pacific Ocean!
    The 8.0 earthquake took place while we were in Adak, Alaska...it was in the Aleutian Trench...just 10-12 miles from the coastline of Adak...the Aleutian Trench is the northern part of the Pacific Plate.

Stay safe!

ret
    No, the Gulf of Mexico is in the wrong ocean to be part of the Ring of Fire. The thread is about the quake in the Gulf of Mexico. P95 said he wasn't sure how the Gulf tied to the Ring of Fire and I was stating that the quake and Gulf of Mexico are in the wrong ocean. In other words, there isn't a direct tie between the quake in the Gulf of Mexico and the Ring of Fire.

Sorry for the confusion. That is what happens when you start a response, then your kids grab you for rough-housing, and you get back and finally post the reply without checking to see who had posted in the mean time. I did not see your post.

Double Naught...

[QUOTE=Double Naught
    Sorry for the confusion. That is what happens when you start a response, then your kids grab you for rough-housing, and you get back and finally post the reply without checking to see who had posted in the mean time. I did not see your post.[/QUOTE]

Not a problem...perhaps I too...was not reading ALL or the thread additions...no harm meant...
    I tend to get off on tangents when talking about the Aleutian Islands...it was a great place to live!

Enjoy your kids...that time is more important anyway!

ret

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    Great, first we get hurricaines in the Gulf, now earthquakes. What next, swarms of Locusts?
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links