Memorial Day Tribute

Memorial Day Tribute

This is a discussion on Memorial Day Tribute within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; In honor of Memorial Day and for all of the brave service men and woman who have served our country from 1776 through to today, ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By JoJoGunn

Thread: Memorial Day Tribute

Memorial Day Tribute

In honor of Memorial Day and for all of the brave service men and woman who have served our country from 1776 through to today, I put together this short video. This is also for my Dad, 86, a WWII veteran of the Battle of the Bulge 1944-45. God Bless.

Memorial Day Tribute
    "I'm not IN danger Skyler, I AM the danger!"

much appreciated!

Thank you servicemen and women past, present and future

Great video...Thank you...but...

Memorial Day is not to honor those who served...it's to honor those who made the ultimate sacrifice during their service

Memorial Day, originally called Decoration Day, is a day of remembrance for those who have died in our nation's service. There are many stories as to its actual beginnings, with over two dozen cities and towns laying claim to being the birthplace of Memorial Day. There is also evidence that organized women's groups in the South were decorating graves before the end of the Civil War: a hymn published in 1867, "Kneel Where Our Loves are Sleeping" by Nella L. Sweet carried the dedication "To The Ladies of the South who are Decorating the Graves of the Confederate Dead" (Source: Duke University's Historic American Sheet Music, 1850-1920). While Waterloo N.Y. was officially declared the birthplace of Memorial Day by President Lyndon Johnson in May 1966, it's difficult to prove conclusively the origins of the day. It is more likely that it had many separate beginnings; each of those towns and every planned or spontaneous gathering of people to honor the war dead in the 1860's tapped into the general human need to honor our dead, each contributed honorably to the growing movement that culminated in Gen Logan giving his official proclamation in 1868. It is not important who was the very first, what is important is that Memorial Day was established. Memorial Day is not about division. It is about reconciliation; it is about coming together to honor those who gave their all.
    Memorial Day History

Veterans Day is set aside to honor everyone who served...
    VCDL Member
    "Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready."
    Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by DaveJay View Post
    Great video...Thank you...but...

Memorial Day is not to honor those who served...it's to honor those who made the ultimate sacrifice during their service

Memorial Day History

Veterans Day is set aside to honor everyone who served...
    Thank you for the distinction. I should have said, "...for those brave service men and women who served and made the ultimate sacrifice..."

May they rest in eternal peace.

My paternal Grand Father was a doughboy in WWI or "The Great War" as he called it. He had his complete uniform from the service, metal Brit style helmet too.

I was about 8 years old and he would go, taking me along, dressed in that uniform to Memorial Day services at a local cemetary. There buried, were the remains of many soldiers from the American Civil War to probaby Viet-Nam. Some of the graves had M1 Garands with fixed bayonets stuck in the ground and WW II style chrome helmets placed over the rifle butt.

Grandad was always chosen to read the poem "In Flanders Fields" just before they fired an M1 Garand salute and the mournful sound of Taps played on a bugle. I would take the paper "poppies" the local VFW distributed and put them at each grave while Grand Dad read the poem. Then stand beside him and salute, dressed in my kids "Army" uniform.

Often I would see a tear or two in his eyes as he read the poem. I was not old enough to understand just why, but in later years, it suddenly hit me and I knew.

I think about my Grand Dad every Memorial Day, how he loved that uniform and how he honoured the war dead. He went on to meet up with his buddies in 1988, but he is alive and well in this ol' boy's memory.

Hat's off and a big salute to my Grand Dad, Herman D. Williams, Pvt. 3rd Division, U.S. Army.
    BroBud and WHEC724 like this.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Quote Originally Posted by JoJoGunn View Post
    My paternal Grand Father was a doughboy in WWI or "The Great War" as he called it. He had his complete uniform from the service, metal Brit style helmet too.

I was about 8 years old and he would go, taking me along, dressed in that uniform to Memorial Day services at a local cemetary. There buried, were the remains of many soldiers from the American Civil War to probaby Viet-Nam. Some of the graves had M1 Garands with fixed bayonets stuck in the ground and WW II style chrome helmets placed over the rifle butt.

Grandad was always chosen to read the poem "In Flanders Fields" just before they fired an M1 Garand salute and the mournful sound of Taps played on a bugle. I would take the paper "poppies" the local VFW distributed and put them at each grave while Grand Dad read the poem. Then stand beside him and salute, dressed in my kids "Army" uniform.

Often I would see a tear or two in his eyes as he read the poem. I was not old enough to understand just why, but in later years, it suddenly hit me and I knew.

I think about my Grand Dad every Memorial Day, how he loved that uniform and how he honoured the war dead. He went on to meet up with his buddies in 1988, but he is alive and well in this ol' boy's memory.

Hat's off and a big salute to my Grand Dad, Herman D. Williams, Pvt. 3rd Division, U.S. Army.
    God Bless You JoJo

Thanks to ALL the men and women in uniform, and their families. God bless all of you.

Sponsored Links