Embarrassing moment for one of our clients! - Page 2

Embarrassing moment for one of our clients!

This is a discussion on Embarrassing moment for one of our clients! within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by Hopyard I am 100% serious. And yes, for three little plants. The issue isn't the plants. The issue is the child's behavior. ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree80Likes

Thread: Embarrassing moment for one of our clients!

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    I am 100% serious. And yes, for three little plants. The issue isn't the plants. The issue is the child's behavior.

Dad needs to figure out what is going on, who the kid is hanging with, what else he might be into, and get with
    a program to fix the problems before someone gets arrested, before the bad G friends show up at the house to do violence,
    before the cops get involved and take the house and the kid.

I realize the situation may vary from one state to another, but even if possessing 3 plants "isn't a big deal," sneaking them
    up in the attic without the dad or mom knowing about it IS a big deal. It says, BRAT. BMW says, spoiled BRAT.

Like I said, I'd sell the BMW and pack the kid off to boarding school.
    I agree somewhat with Hop is saying, my Dad would have reacted in a similar manner. And unfortunately many of the kids that go to this high school (a public school btw, not private) qualify as spoiled brats, many BMW's and high dollar SUV's driven by kids that most likely don't deserve them. Too many of these kids begin to think they can do anything they want without repercussions. I see this as much the parents fault as the kids, like I said earlier, my Dad was completely aware of what we did growing up, because he was involved with us and what was going on in our lives. This situation makes me wonder how involved these parents were with their kid. If I had pulled this I would have lost my car and been under house arrest for the duration of the summer, without time off for good behavior!
    "Don't start none, won't be none!"

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    @Hop:Why on earth do you think that kids don't smoke pot, drink, or take drugs at a boarding school? I know many kids that go to boarding schools (almost sent my son to Phillips Exeter) and they booze it up and smoke pot like the rest of kids their age. Now, they are not under your roof. I think it is sad that a parent feels they can not discipline nor control their child and they feel the only recourse is to send them away.
    Pick the school carefully. Since you are in NH, home of the boarding school universe, I'm sure there must be some fine ones
    with house parents that instill obedience. Help that unfortunate parent pick a suitable one, where the kids don't get to use heaters in their rooms in January.

About 30 years ago I had the "good fortune" of staying in the dorm at one of these
    fine institutions designed for training the offspring of the wealthy; not too far from Dartmouth. For me it was a 5 day business meeting. Just the living arrangement should
    be considered punishment for the boy, and I was paying a pretty penny for it too.

Besides, it seems dad can't parent, so he needs to hire someone who can. Boarding school for the little twit; tie the Kangaroo Down.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Kids got a BMW from daddy and is growing pot in daddy's house. And the best we can come up with is the seriousness of the offense? I gotta tell you that this little boy would have lost his car, cell phone, tv, computer, and nearly his life. He can't be trusted so take the door off his room so the parents can view it anytime they walk by. He had better change his attitude drastically or his little butt would be skidded out on the lawn. Anybody here think this is the first problem with junior? He's already up to growing his own dope so we know he is a doper. Daddy can lose his house because of the dope, and if he doesn't control this little gangsta he's raising he will lose more than that. It's all about trust, and junior deserves none.

I am 100% serious. And yes, for three little plants. The issue isn't the plants. The issue is the child's behavior.

Dad needs to figure out what is going on, who the kid is hanging with, what else he might be into, and get with
    a program to fix the problems before someone gets arrested, before the bad G friends show up at the house to do violence,
    before the cops get involved and take the house and the kid.

I realize the situation may vary from one state to another, but even if possessing 3 plants "isn't a big deal," sneaking them
    up in the attic without the dad or mom knowing about it IS a big deal. It says, BRAT. BMW says, spoiled BRAT.

Like I said, I'd sell the BMW and pack the kid off to boarding school.
    Would you react in the same way if it was three bottles of liquor or a couple of cases of beer?
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

Wouldn't it seem sensible and fair to evaluate the boys past before you send him off to boarding school? Does he do well in school, sports, etc.. Do his friends seem like good kids? Has he ever done anything this serious in the past or is this a first offense?
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

Quote Originally Posted by Sig35seven View Post
    Would you react in the same way if it was three bottles of liqueur or a couple of cases of beer?
    Even if he doesn't, why should he? Growing cannabis in most states is a FELONY. While alcohol may be illegal for the son to have and/or acquire, it won't land his parents in prison if it's found in their house.

Quote Originally Posted by lyz_grace View Post
    Even if he doesn't, why should he? Growing cannabis in most states is a FELONY. While it may be illegal for the son to have and/or acquire, it won't land his parents in prison if it's found in their house.
    Agreed. But if every parent sent their kids to a boarding school for something that was illegal it would start a new cottage industry. I don't know squat about this family except a third hand story on the internet. It does not tell us the families situation or if the kid has been in trouble before. Some folks never go up to their attics except to get the Christmas tree out. So a blamket statement that the dad is a peon and not a fit parent is an idiotic statement.

Agreed. But if every parent sent their kids to a boarding school for something that was illegal it would start a new cottage industry. I don't know squat about this family except a third hand story on the internet. It does not tell us the families situation or if the kid has been in trouble before. Some folks never go up to their attics except to get the Christmas tree out. So a blamket statement that the dad is a peon and not a fit parent is an idiotic statement.
    I agree, I'm not in on the boarding school thing. I think, in the event that this kid is as spoiled as he seems to be (may not be, not my call), the parents need to own up and mend their relationship with their kid. Punished to the nth degree? Yes. I think boarding school is kind of a copout though.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sig35seven View Post
    Would you react in the same way if it was three bottles of liquor or a couple of cases of beer?
    No, but I can't lose my mansion from the kid having some liquor unless he gives it to friends.

I've stated here many times that personally I would be very libertarian about the drug issues, but the problem in that house has nothing to do with drugs, really. It has to do with a disrespectful thoughtless teenage twit who needs to be taught
    that dad is KING of that house.

Uh, how old was that kid-- 16 going on 17? (Can't recall from the OP). If I can't pack him off to boarding school I'd buy a GIANT
    SIZE calendar. I'd count off the number of days till he turns 18. I'd buy another GIANT SIZE calendar; one going forward however many days from his 18th birthday. I'd get big red crayon.

I'd sit the kid down and show him the calendars. And I'd inform him that every time he screws up by my standards, I'm going to mark off one of those days, and that when he runs out of dates without marks on them and is 18 ---- there is a door at the front of the house and his mom will have the suitcase packed.

I also like the idea of removing the door from his room. A little creative humiliation would reassert in whose home he is living.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

No, but I can't lose my mansion from the kid having some liquor unless he gives it to friends.

I've stated here many times that personally I would be very libertarian about the drug issues, but the problem in that house has nothing to do with drugs, really. It has to do with a disrespectful thoughtless teenage twit who needs to be taught
    that dad is KING of that house.
    And the lesson is to exile the kid from the kingdom? A lot of mythology and folk lore I have read the returning exiled person has an attitude, started an army, and conquered the kings castle.
    Moops likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lyz_grace View Post
    I agree, I'm not in on the boarding school thing. I think, in the event that this kid is as spoiled as he seems to be (may not be, not my call), the parents need to own up and mend their relationship with their kid. Punished to the nth degree? Yes. I think boarding school is kind of a copout though.
    It is a copout, but clearly dad and mom are insufficiently aware of what is going on in their home to keep the kid.
    If both parents are determined and committed to parenting, then maybe the drastic step isn't needed.
    lyz_grace likes this.
    Andrew Jackson

VIP Member
    And the lesson is to exile the kid from the kingdom? A lot of mythology and folk lore I have read the returning exiled person has an attitude, started an army, and conquered the kings castle.
    I didn't say throw the kid out of the kingdom. I said pack him off to school where the supervision is tight.

I think your analogy would apply to calling the cops and getting the kid arrested. Yes, then he might well return with an
    attitude and an army. I was suggesting a middle ground for parents who seem to not know how what is going on under their
    noses.
    Andrew Jackson

Distinguished Member Array Lotus222's Avatar
    Kids do things without regards to what their parents think?? NEVER...

I had an attic in my closet when I was in HS. Kept my booze in there. I didn't get caught. I turned out just fine. Would I have been in trouble? Threatened with being grounded for life and my car taken away. In actuality, probably grounded for a month, though.

If it was one of these 16 states (and DC), he would have gotten a slap on the wrist. ...Or it could have been his parents, anyways.
    16 Legal Medical Marijuana States and DC - Medical Marijuana - ProCon.org

...It seems that some of the states are starting to have a little problem with that whole felony thing... Funny that our Nations Capital does too.

It is a copout, but clearly dad and mom are insufficiently aware of what is going on in their home to keep the kid.
    If both parents are determined and committed to parenting, then maybe the drastic step isn't needed.
    If Junior is already driving a car, it's far too late for "committed parenting". They need to apply damage control and quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by shooterX View Post
    +1 Hopyard, this disrepect shown to his folks is enormous, and as many of us have stated, is a major problem in our society today!
    Quote Originally Posted by shooterX View Post
    Well I do think many people do parent still, I know I do, and most of my family that have children do. Can't paint with such a broad brush stroke.
    Isn't this a bit hypocritical?
    "Your mind is the weapon, all the rest are just tools." --gasmitty

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links