Hitchhikers

This is a discussion on Hitchhikers within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I was reading a thread on here and it triggered some memories. Back in 1970 when I was stationed at Ft. Eustis, VA. during AIT, ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Hitchhikers

Hitchhikers

I was reading a thread on here and it triggered some memories. Back in 1970 when I was stationed at Ft. Eustis, VA. during AIT, I use to hitchhike all over the East coast and never have a problem getting a ride. Now that I think about it, I can't remember the last time I seen someone hitchhiking along the highway.

Of course it's common sense these days not to pick someone up but... Has anyone seen any hitchhikers in their travels?
    I think, therefore I am...

<the Menace>

2. Remove Ads

Most are beggars around here, holding signs that they're broke and need a lift or money. Too scary these days to give anyone a lift...
    US Air Force, 1986 - 2007

"To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them..." George Mason

Sometimes see them on Hwy.13 between Clinton and Springfield, but I would never pick one up.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

I had not thought about it but I agree. Hitchhikers are rare. Everyone used to do it and pickup people.

Around here its normally young Marines,not hitchin just walking,and I'll stop and offer a ride anytime I've room for them.
    atctimmy likes this.
    It is pardonable to be defeated but never surprised.
    2 Ruger alaskan .454s
    Ruger P95
    Rem 870
    Barrett .50BMG

I have rarely seen hitchhikers.

But the other day on NPR I heard a story about an educated professional couple who turned around for a hitchhiker because the wife thought that he looked like the writer/director John Waters. Low and behold it was him hitching across the country for stories for his next book. He accepted the ride and bought the couple lunch. They even helped him find his next cardboard sign to get another ride. I would pick up a guy like John Waters for the great stories he'd have and to make new ones. But the typical hitchhiker would only see my taillights as I kept on driving.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

I used to pick them up but now a day you are too easy of a target while driving to be shot or killed

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis1209 View Post
    I was reading a thread on here and it triggered some memories. Back in 1970 when I was stationed at Ft. Eustis, VA. during AIT, I use to hitchhike all over the East coast and never have a problem getting a ride. Now that I think about it, I can't remember the last time I seen someone hitchhiking along the highway.

Of course it's common sense these days not to pick someone up but... Has anyone seen any hitchhikers in their travels?
    Once in a great while. Thing is...the law cracked down a lot, and of course things got riskier over the years. You and me might remember the 70's, but it's a totally different world now. More evil, less caring, etc.......... Last time I picked up a hitch-hiker was about four years ago. She was walking along side the highway and not even putting her thumb out but I knew she was in trouble. Apparently just got in an argument with her boyfriend and left out from home on foot. About 29 years old. She just wanted to get to town. I gave her my cell phone to call her mother apparently somewhere close in the county. Dropped her off at the Wal Mart super to wait for her mom to pick her up.
    The human condition never changes.....those in need of help, and those willing to help those in need. Compassion and caring is what it takes. Simply put, life is not always easy or simple. I figure that local laws have killed plenty of folks in need or put them behind bars. As a nation we should care for our own fellow man and have compassion. These days.......it's the bad news that makes this ideal less attractive than before. Why not give a ride when you're going the same way and someone is afoot? You have to be more aware now and prepared...but it's the same compassionate human response. Not everyone in need has put themselves willingly in that position. And I do believe there is still more good out there than evil. Just be careful.

See them all the time in northern NH. Usually hikers that got off the wrong trail head and weather is moving in and they don't feel like hiking another 5 miles because of their screw up.

I live near the County jail so I see hitchhikers all the time. (they get released but don't have a ride)

Wouldn't ever stop though.

Quote Originally Posted by STLRampage View Post
    I live near the County jail so I see hitchhikers all the time. (they get released but don't have a ride)

Wouldn't ever stop though.
    They won't release them around here unless a ride picks them up at the front door.

I see one or two a summer outside of the city. In the city, no hitchhikers, just panhandlers.
    "All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse, and a good wife." - Daniel Boone

I used to pick up hitchhikers when I was younger. I enjoyed hearing their stories. I'm a little older, a little wiser, and a lot more conscious of danger now.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    They won't release them around here unless a ride picks them up at the front door.
    Just a tip. Be leery of picking up hitchhikers near a jail, one way to tell is they are give them clear plastic bags for belongings , most leave with them in hand.
    Most have to have a ride or some a bus gives them a ride to a bus station

Sent from my 300 baud modem

VIP Member
    I hardly ever see them anymore, but will generally give them a ride to the next town when I do see them.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links