Double Jeopardy Redefined???

This is a discussion on Double Jeopardy Redefined??? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by nedrgr21 Like I said: "Researchers who announced the stunning arrest rates in 1967 were stumped by data deficiencies, such as their inability ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Double Jeopardy Redefined???

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nedrgr21 View Post
    Like I said:
    "Researchers who announced the stunning arrest rates in 1967 were stumped by data deficiencies, such as their inability to tell whether the same person was being counted more than once -- an often overlooked point the researchers made in their own report. "

The newer study only accounted for 3 very small areas of the country - not statistically significant.

And there was a political motive behind the report: "That report's finding on arrest rates, while attention-grabbing, was ancillary to its main purpose of making law-and-order recommendations to President Johnson." So, given the political climate of the Cold War, there was probably pressure for the report to substantiate the need for more law enforcement, i.e. bigger budgets

Look at what going on at the time - the Red Scare, the Cold War, etc - it's easy to come up with estimates like that when witch hunts were the norm.

I chalk it up to being in the same group of statistical studies that gave us "over 3k children are killed by guns every year", "you are 93 times more likely to be killed by a gun in your own home", and any other studies quoted by VPC or the Brady Bunch.
    If you think carefully about what it is saying, you will see that it makes sense. The report is claiming
    that a male individual's life time chance of being arrested (for all possible reasons) is 50%. With the huge number of
    crimes on the books for which an arrest might be possible, this doesn't seem unreasonable. The reports are
    not saying 50% of men commit felonies or 50% of men commit serious misdemeanors. The reports are speaking
    only of arrests for all causes, and not of either the nature of the accusation or conviction rate.

I totally disagree with the political point you tried to make regarding the LBJ motives or that this report
    had a thing to do with the Cold War.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

2. Remove Ads

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links