You Think the Confessor to Etan Patz'z Murder is for Real or Not?

This is a discussion on You Think the Confessor to Etan Patz'z Murder is for Real or Not? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Think The Confessor of Etan PLatz's Murder, the little boy from 70s, is Real or Not? The NJ man who just confessed to the 30+ ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Hopyard

Thread: You Think the Confessor to Etan Patz'z Murder is for Real or Not?

You Think the Confessor to Etan Patz'z Murder is for Real or Not?

Think The Confessor of Etan PLatz's Murder, the little boy from 70s, is Real or Not?

The NJ man who just confessed to the 30+ years ago missing child case, Etan Patz, the child publicized on milk cartons in the 70s - the one police were futilely digging up the basement for in Manhattan a couple of months back - there's no physical evidence left. The body was supposedly left in nearby trash. There was no gun. No bullets. Just this guy's confession and what he mentioned to a few others over the years: how do police know it's a real criminal event being confessed to? Lots of time they get a lot of phony confessions. Especially on the anniversary of unsolved murders. Today is such an anniversary - of Etan's disappearance.

What do you think? I hope he is the one for the parents' sake.

(I posted this on another forum too - I'm fascinated by a case that's all verbal, one man's words of guilt and what evidence police pursue in such a situation.)

2. Remove Ads

Not sure but I keep hearing newscasters mispronounce Patz (like Paytze), Harry Caray like.

VIP Member
    I am skeptical. But, what I don't know is if this guy lived a normal quiet life for the last 35 years or was
    he in and out of trouble or in and out of various institutions.

I find it almost impossible to believe that someone who killed once like they are claiming, didn't do it
    many times more, and didn't get into trouble for so many years.

In short, my acceptance of the confession would depend in large part on what they have on the guy besides
    the confession, in the way of his life's history.
    Last edited by Hopyard; May 26th, 2012 at 09:20 AM.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    I am skeptical. But, what I don't know is if this guy lived a normal quiet life for the last 35 years or was
    he in and out of trouble or in and out of various institutions.

I find it almost impossible to believe that someone who killed once like they are claiming, didn't do it
    many times more, and didn't get into trouble for so many years.

In short, my acceptance of the confession would depend in large part on what they have on the guy besides
    the confession, in the way of his life's history.
    He supposedly has a long psychiatric history, including schizophrenia and hallucinations - which may explain why he did it - crazy impulse - but also leaves your question: if he was mentally ill once in a way that led him to kill, why 33 yrs of no criminal behavior?

They need more than a confession to pass the evidentiary test of the law - good thing, not this guy, but we all know how many "confessions" alone that convicted some in the past were coerced, "suggested" by police after 18 hrs of questioning etc. But that leaves the prosecutor with s sticky case: no forensic evidence of any kind, no witnesses, nada. Plus the mental history.

Tough and unclear one.

Plus, anniversaries of unsolved crimes tend to bring out the crazy "confessor". The boy disappeared 33 years ago Friday - it's an anniversary. Guy could be nuts and have done it, or the guy could be nuts and confess to something he is delusional about, a BELIEF he did it - he did though tell a few people thru the years he had done something "bad" to a boy in NYC, may even have told them he killed a boy. That gives the confession some backing - maybe.

"reasonable doubt" ...... he won't be convicted of anything based upon what they have, unless they have a lot more than what's being said.

Did he ? Schizophrenic aren't known for molesting or killing children. That part , doesn't fit. But, he said he had an "urge to kill" , which can be true of a Schizophrenic if those voices start in . They are doing a mental eval, and that will tell them a lot right there.

If he gave specifics, they could verify, that might be one thing.... but they don't know any of the specifics, so it's really hard to say on this one. But, he did work right there, etc. where the boy disappeared.....

This is a case that has always bothered me.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Senior Member Array Chad Rogers's Avatar
    It's not like the guy came from L.A. to confess to a murder in NYC. He literally worked in a store that was on a route the boy took to/from school, no? And Etan Patz did disappear as if the earth swallowed him up.

I can never figure out why just because somebody commits an act of pure evil there are so many folks lined up to say "Oh he must be crazy."
    "People who take an Internet handle of a great warrior, are usually the first to go fetal when crunch time comes." - Me

Distinguished Member
    I don't know, the police don't have much to go on but his word, and they supposedly he had told family members in the past that he killed someone in NYC but never said who. If that is true, why didn't the family come forward sooner?

I can't imagine being Etan's parents and not knowing what happened for 33 years. It must be eating them up, plus it was the first day he was walking to school by himself.
    "I got a lot of problems with you people!" - Frank Costanza

VIP Member
    There was a news story that the boy's family earlier won a civil judgment against someone who I think is in jail on an
    unrelated crime, in which the jury assigned civil liability for the murder to this other man. That muddies the muddy
    water even more, if true.

http://articles.philly.com/2012-05-2...-antonio-ramos

2 million dollar judgment against a guy named Ramos for the crime.

I'm not saying this guy didn't do it, he might have. I just think the evidence is really really really shaky. And the prior civil judgment will further muddy the waters greatly.
    Last edited by Hopyard; May 26th, 2012 at 09:21 AM. Reason: added url
    Chad Rogers likes this.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Links