Fed Up With Unarmed Victim Zones???

This is a discussion on Fed Up With Unarmed Victim Zones??? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by JDE101 While that is a very well written letter, does the university itself actually have a say in the matter? Can they ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Fed Up With Unarmed Victim Zones???

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JDE101 View Post
    While that is a very well written letter, does the university itself actually have a say in the matter? Can they change the "policy"? In Ohio, the prohibition of firearms on university campuses is in the state law. The universities and colleges cannot change the policy themselves, so writing to The Ohio State University, Kent State University, Akron University, etc. and telling them to remove your name from the alumni association and to not expect any contributions to the university until they change "their" policy would be useless.
    In Alabama, guns are only restricted by law on school grounds in K-12. Even in OH, if enough alumni took a similar stance with OSU, KSU, OU, et. al., the schools would be begging the legislature to allow CC/OC on campus.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

2. Remove Ads

In Alabama, guns are only restricted by law on school grounds in K-12.
    This is true, however if you have a pistol permit, you are legally allowed to carry concealed on school grounds. The only limitation is that you not be on the premises to "do harm".
    Absent intent to harm anyone, there are no other restrictions for permit holders regarding school grounds.
    We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal...

Alabama Constitution of 1901 - That every citizen has a right to bear arms in defense of himself and the state.

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    I heard that junk while in Canada too. That's all it is... BS. Every morning, I picked up the morning paper to read of at least 1-3 "new" murders. Anything from being beat to death with a hammer, baseball bat, etc... to being cut and stabbed with a knife. I was "warned" several times to not go near the river walkway in the early evening or later, because "gangs" like to patrol the area and rob people.... using sawed off baseball bats as weapons and that various people had been killed.

The number of murders , were worse than any area I live around in the USA.

I began telling Canadians when this question arose...... sorry, but I would rather be in the USA and killed by being shot, than beat to death or stabbed to death in Canada.

The restrictions of guns, does not stop someone from killing someone if they are intent on killing them, it only changes the method in which they do it.
    I hear that, there's no doubt that the media wants to keep us afraid. They'll arrange their stories so that it seems like we're in perpetual danger from violence. The truth is that 'bad guys' are so low on my radar of worries that they nearly don't matter. The vast majority of violence here is either domestic violence or druggie-on-druggie; I don't really have that as an issue in my life!

Quote Originally Posted by Inspector71 View Post
    So, your're an advocate for gun control?
    Well, sensible gun control, sure. But that's just a catchphrase, really. What's "sensible"?

All I'm saying is that I'm used to the gun control here. I was born into this culture, and raised in it, and so I'm used to it. The bad guys have a heck of a time getting guns, and I honestly don't mind that. The regulations are a hassle for people like me, but that's all it is, a hassle. They don't interfere with what I want to do. Now, if there was some serious threat of my current rights being restricted, I might feel differently. But, as it is, ehn, I'm used to it.
    Our current plan for Universal Iron Lung coverage, just sayin'.
    Wisest. Retirement. Plan. Ever.
    Good thing the March of Dimes worked. How, why?

Alternately, for those with a tool shed, ideas, or creative loved ones to tell..

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CanuckQue View Post
    All I'm saying is that I'm used to the gun control here. I was born into this culture, and raised in it, and so I'm used to it. The bad guys have a heck of a time getting guns, and I honestly don't mind that. The regulations are a hassle for people like me, but that's all it is, a hassle. They don't interfere with what I want to do. Now, if there was some serious threat of my current rights being restricted, I might feel differently. But, as it is, ehn, I'm used to it.
    You sound like the frog in the pot. Feels good til it gets too hot. Glad you like it but you can keep it. We don't want it to migrate south.
    MleeC and JDE101 like this.

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

Yeah, I can understand that. Don't me wrong, I don't like dealing with the hassle of bureaucracy, but it's only just a hassle
    Our current plan for Universal Iron Lung coverage, just sayin'.
    Wisest. Retirement. Plan. Ever.
    Good thing the March of Dimes worked. How, why?

Alternately, for those with a tool shed, ideas, or creative loved ones to tell..

Distinguished Member Array lowflyer's Avatar
    Good letter. I noticed one typo. I think you meant to say "illusion of safety" instead of "allusion."
    Whatever doesn't kill you postpones the inevitable.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lowflyer View Post
    Good letter. I noticed one typo. I think you meant to say "illusion of safety" instead of "allusion."
    Good catch, thanks. I will make that change in my master in case I use that part of the text in another letter - probable.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links