Fed Up With Unarmed Victim Zones???

This is a discussion on Fed Up With Unarmed Victim Zones??? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Here is a letter I fired off to my alma mater. I am done funding her until students are afforded the right of self protection ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Fed Up With Unarmed Victim Zones???

VIP Member

Fed Up With Unarmed Victim Zones???

Here is a letter I fired off to my alma mater. I am done funding her until students are afforded the right of self protection on campus. Feel free to copy/modify this letter and fire a copy off to your favorite school.

25 May 2012
    The University of Alabama
    Office of University Advancement
    Box 870101
    Tuscaloosa, AL 35486-9983

To Whom it May Concern:

It has recently come to my attention that the University of Alabama does not allow licensed adults to exercise their second amendment rights while on campus even if they obtain a permit as authorized under Alabama Law. This is codified in the Student Handbook section J.2 and J.3.c. This infringement on liberty is not acceptable and, until it is reversed, I will no longer provide any funds to the University of Alabama or its affiliates.

Citizens who have taken the time to obtain a permit to carry a concealed weapon are much less likely than the general population to be involved in criminal activity. That notwithstanding, the administration of the University of Alabama takes it upon itself to disarm these citizens even though it cannot guarantee their safety – no university or other entity can fulfill such an assurance.

Creating unarmed victim zones is antithetical to the American Constitution and Bill of Rights. Forcing people to give up liberty for the allusion of safety is just plain ignorant. All one has to do is look at the mass shootings over the last few decades to see that the vast majority of these shootings have taken place in or at establishments that ensure the criminal will not face armed resistance. In short, the unarmed victim zone theory has not worked out so well and it is time for a change.

The Supreme Court of the United States has ruled several times that individuals have no right to government-provided protection. Warren versus District of Columbia, while being a hallmark case for this position, is but one of many. The University of Alabama is neither required or able to protect persons on its campus. It is high time to afford students the same rights on campus that they enjoy off campus.

Please remove my name from the Alumni Association rolls until such time as the second amendment rights of the law-abiding members of the student body are no longer infringed.

Sincerely,
    Last edited by ksholder; May 25th, 2012 at 07:17 PM.
    accessbob, WHEC724, mano3 and 9 others like this.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array Inspector71's Avatar
    That's a great letter! Please post their response if you get one.
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. Because it's in English, thank a vet

Distinguished Member
    I like it, but their likely response (as with many others) is essentially - "Don't give us facts and figures. We don't take that into consideration. We only look at the potential panic it would cause, even though there is no evidence that there would be any, should we reverse course. We are the administration and we don't need to use facts to come to our conclusions."
    RayBar likes this.
    EDC - Glock 36 OR Glock 30, Ruger LC9, OR Ruger SR1911 CMD AND
    Ruger LCP in Desantis Pocket Holster (backup)
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

One thing time has taught us is that the most educated people are sometimes the dumbest because they don't live in the real world. They live in a bubble and in their bubble nothing ever happens to them and when it does they "reason" an excuse why and think they can rehabilitate the criminal
    mano3 and RayBar like this.

350+ people /students killed in these safe zones over the last 15 years. The wolves know where to go to find unprotected sheep. Put a few sheepdogs in there and they might think twice about going back to school. Yes I know there is campus security. Too few for big schools. Too much damage can be done before they get there,stand around and try to figure out how the 25 of them are going to get one shooter. Remember Virginia Tech.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    One letter of dissent, do they care? Get your alumnus brothers and sisters to letter bomb them.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

I live in one big "unarmed zone", being in Canada. Honestly, it's not so bad once it's part of the culture. As a result, the BGs are an order less dangerous, too, since the vast majority of them cannot get real weaponry. The best they can often do is get imitation weapons.
    Mental illness incidents are used to threaten gun rights.
    The March of Dimes headed off the Universal Iron Lung coverage debate, just sayin'.
    Alternately, for those with a toolshed and ideas.

Roll Tide!

I hope you get a good response.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Senior Member Array Inspector71's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CanuckQue View Post
    I live in one big "unarmed zone", being in Canada. Honestly, it's not so bad once it's part of the culture. As a result, the BGs are an order less dangerous, too, since the vast majority of them cannot get real weaponry. The best they can often do is get imitation weapons.
    So, your're an advocate for gun control?
    Richard58 likes this.
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. Because it's in English, thank a vet

Kudos to you! Great letter!
    US Air Force, 1986 - 2007

"To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them..." George Mason

Quote Originally Posted by CanuckQue View Post
    I heard that junk while in Canada too. That's all it is... BS. Every morning, I picked up the morning paper to read of at least 1-3 "new" murders. Anything from being beat to death with a hammer, baseball bat, etc... to being cut and stabbed with a knife. I was "warned" several times to not go near the river walkway in the early evening or later, because "gangs" like to patrol the area and rob people.... using sawed off baseball bats as weapons and that various people had been killed.

The number of murders , were worse than any area I live around in the USA.

I began telling Canadians when this question arose...... sorry, but I would rather be in the USA and killed by being shot, than beat to death or stabbed to death in Canada.

The restrictions of guns, does not stop someone from killing someone if they are intent on killing them, it only changes the method in which they do it.
    JDE101 likes this.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Just maybe things would change if the mandated sign to post was.....

"One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

Political Calculations: U.S. vs Canada: Homicide Edition is interesting. I wonder if the demographics of the murderers as opposed to their victims would make a significant difference in the figures at the bottom of the page.

Gun Violence | National Institute of Justice It would appear that reducing gang related killing would make a huge difference as well

While that is a very well written letter, does the university itself actually have a say in the matter? Can they change the "policy"? In Ohio, the prohibition of firearms on university campuses is in the state law. The universities and colleges cannot change the policy themselves, so writing to The Ohio State University, Kent State University, Akron University, etc. and telling them to remove your name from the alumni association and to not expect any contributions to the university until they change "their" policy would be useless.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

The combined alumni of these schools are the ones controling these laws. A mass of support of this type would likely change the law.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links