Simple Quiz

Simple Quiz

This is a discussion on Simple Quiz within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Please pause a moment, reflect back and take the following multiple choice test. The events are real. Do you remember? 1. 1968 Bobby Kennedy was ...

Thread: Simple Quiz

Simple Quiz

Please pause a moment, reflect back and take the following multiple choice test.

The events are real.
    Do you remember?

1. 1968 Bobby Kennedy was shot and killed by?

a. Superman?

b. Jay Leno?

c. Harry Potter?

d. a Muslim male extremist between the ages of 17 and 40?

2. In 1972 at the Munich Olympics, athletes were kidnapped and massacred by?

a. Olga Corbett?

b. Sitting Bull?

c. Arnold Schwarzenegger?

d. Muslim male extremists mostly between the ages of 17 and 40 ?

3. In 1979, the US embassy in Iran was taken over by:?

a. Lost Norwegians?

b. Elvis?

c. A tour bus full of 80-year-old women?

d. Muslim male extremists mostly between the ages of 17 and 40?

4. During the 1980's a number of Americans were kidnapped in Lebanon by:?

a. John Dillinger?

b. The King of Sweden ?

c. The Boy Scouts?

5. In 1983, the US Marine barracks in Beirut was blown up by:?

a. A pizza delivery boy?

b. Pee Wee Herman?

c. Geraldo Rivera?

6. In 1985 the cruise ship Achille Lauro was hijacked and a 70 year old American passenger was murdered and thrown overboard in his wheelchair by:?

a. The Smurfs?

b. Davey Jones?

c. The Little Mermaid?

7. In 1985 TWA flight 847 was hijacked at Athens , and a US Navy diver trying to rescue passengers was murdered by:?

a. Captain Kidd?

b. Charles Lindberg?

c. Mother Teresa?

8. In 1988, Pan Am Flight 103 was bombed by:?

a. Scooby Doo?

b. The Tooth Fairy

c. The Sundance Kid?

9. In 1993 the World Trade Center was bombed the first time by:?

a. Richard Simmons?

b. Grandma Moses?

c. Michael Jordan?

10. In 1998, the US embassies in Kenya and Tanzania were bombed by:?

a. Mr. Rogers?

b. Hillary Clinton, to distract attention from Wild Bill's women problems?

c. The World Wrestling Federation?

11. On 9/11/01, four airliners were hijacked; two were used as missiles to take out the World Trade Centers and of the remaining two, one crashed into the US Pentagon and the other was diverted and crashed by the passengers. Thousands of people were killed by:?

a. Bugs Bunny, Wiley E. Coyote, Daffy Duck and Elmer Fudd?

b. The Supreme Court of Florida ?

c. Mr. Bean?

12. In 2002 the United States fought a war in Afghanistan against:?

a. Enron?

b. The Lutheran Church ?

c. The NFL?

13. In 2002 reporter Daniel Pearl was kidnapped and murdered by:?

a. Bonnie and Clyde ?

b. Captain Kangaroo?

c. Billy Graham?

Nope, I really don't see a pattern here to justify profiling, do you?

So, to ensure we Americans never offend anyone, particularly fanatics intent on killing us, airport security screeners will no longer be allowed to profile certain people. They must conduct random searches of 80-year-old women, little kids, airline pilots with proper identification, secret agents who are members of the President's security detail, 85-year old Congressmen with metal hips, and Medal of Honor winning and former Governor Joe Foss, but leave Muslim Males between the ages 17 and 40 alone lest they be guilty of profiling.

As the writer of the award winning story " Forrest Gump " so aptly put it,

"Stupid is as stupid does."
    "No man's life, liberty, or property is safe while the Congress is in session."
    Mark Twain
    S&W M&P 40

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    Like a "famous" person once said,"there is nothing wrong with shootin',as long as the right people get shot".

I would say,"there is nothing wrong with profileing as long as the right people get profiled".

Relizeing that there always exceptions to the rule,why in hell would
    anybody feel that a 80 year old, white,Jewish woman, be plotting to hijack the next airliner ??????????? -------

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    Oh, jeez, don't get me started. The airlines and TSA have busily (and expensively) been fighting the last war since 9/11/01.

Ain't NO BODY gonna be able to take over an airplane and fly it into buildings any more. Ever. At the first hint of something not being right, the passengers and crew will Flight 93 the BG's.

Any Air Marshals on such a flight will have their hands full trying to keep the passengers from killing the hijackers.

So the lines, the metal detectors, the searches, etc. are all a BIG waste of time and money.

You want airline safety? Let your CCW passengers carry their pieces on the planes.

There wouldn't BE any WTC's collapsing if that was allowed.

Profiling is all well and good, except that it doesn't work. Because the bad guys figure out that they just have to look diferent and then they walk right through security.

I'm with Randytulsa on this one. Let the good guys go armed and we'll see how many hijackings happen as a result.

AE

VIP Member
    We profile everyday. Concealed weapon holders profile (or should) more than the rest of the sheeple.

Most of us don't go thru our day in condition WHITE, like most average people do. Since we tend to be more vigilent, we use what tool?..WE PROFILE!

We look at people we come in contact with & we PROFILE them! I see a little old lady & to me she is less of a potential threat to me than the hoodlum with his hands in his pockets, hanging out looking suspect. That doesn't mean I totally discount the grannie, because some grannies can be dangerous. (recent headlines prove that)

AND GUESS WHAT?????..PROFILING WORKS!

Depending on what situation you are in you look around & see who might be a threat....that threat could white, black, red, yellow, brown, atheist, Christian, Buddist or Muslim. It could be male, female or even some combination!

As far as terrorism goes, we should be profiling....it isn't some Methodist grandmother with knitting needles that are TRYING TO KILL US, it is young Muslim males! So profile away....I don't mind.

Randy, as to airline hijackings, I hope your right but I think as time has passed you will see most sheeple go back to ignoring the evil that men do. I can see where it could happen again UNLESS there are some SHEEPDOGS on the flight. I would like to see CCW allowed on airliners but that is NOT GOING TO HAPPEN!

There have been a lot of flights I have been on, where people avoid any kind of contact or conversation that used to be prevalent just a decade ago. People are to self-absorbed & are also to worried about offending someone that they stop interacting & ignore what happens around them.

9/11 brought it home to a lot of people, but as time goes on emotions wain & people go back to their bad habits. As exampled in Flight 93 & other flights since that didn't end badly, when someone tries something on an airliner, it isn't EVERYBODY onboard that react to it.........It is only the SHEEPDOGSthat do something.....the sheep just sit & bleat...........
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    We do that because once you start officially profiling, its a slippery slope - much like registering every firearm or keeping official records. There are consequences to every desicion like that and many are completely unforseen. I am as well with RandyTulsa, stop with the super-duper anal screening and let us carry on aircraft. Numerous studies have shown that shooting a pressurized cabin wall will not cause explosive decompression - despite what makes good Hollywood.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

Assistant Administrator
    Profiling is instinctive - bit like how we judge folks on ''first impressions''

It's how we deal with them that matters - balanced judgement as against pure knee-jerk. That judgement well may support the initial profiling but cannot be taken as set in concrete.

Remember too - the best ''con' man'' is the guy who seems so ''normal'' and nice that he couldn't possibly be other than a good guy. It could be one like this who initiates the next event - simply because he is all but ''profile proof'' and everyone sees him as beyond reproach!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    I've already ranted about the so-called security measures at the airports.

But profiling does work to an extent, so long as it is focussed properly. Yes, I'm sure Al-qeda has little old ladies of Norweign descent in their ranks. But not as many as Muslim male extremists mostly between the ages of 17 and 40. And the IRA is full of people who would not fit that profile. But they don't want to end western civilization as we know it, and are very unlikely to hijack an aircraft with Americans on it.

Let those of us with numerous background checks keep our guns, knives, liquids, golf clubs, whatever. Let the sheep know to punch, kick, bite, spit, throw whatever they have at potential hijackers. Arm the air crews. Stop this farce that these security measures are doing anything.

I am against profiling. If you look nervous/jumpy/break eye contact/etc... further investigate. If you are guarding a secure area, you treat everyone alike, ex-governors, federal agents, MOH winners, grannys, women, children, etc. You search every single person who wants/needs acces unless they are on an official capacity you recognize. You don't know if that person is right in the head/is being forced to contraband dangerous items on board/etc.

Terrorism is evolving. Is not just the muslim looking guy. Tymothy McVeigh was convicted for the Oklahoma building bombing, he wasn't muslim looking. Lets treat everyone the same and look for body language, not body color/origin/nationality - we will be more secure that way. Profiling is an excuse for racism.

My 2 cents.

If I worked TSA, I would profile whether it was officially sanctioned or not.
    I think most TSA personnel do profile. They are not robots - they are human and have common sense.

I have mixed feelings about the resources spent on checking people that, to me, appear harmless - for example the elderly women. Or, in my personal experience - my dad - 87 years old; WWII veteran; faithful, law-abiding American citizen - but he gets hassled because his metal knee-replacement sets off the metal detector.

Allowing armed citizens on planes - not going to happen.
    However, I agree that pilots should be armed and arilines should provide additional armed security.

I also agree that the passengers will rush a hijacker - I know I would. But, if the pilots' throats are slashed - that's not going to save the plane.

My strongest feelings about this War, is that we - the United States of America - should be "united".
    I'm disturbed by the politics of the "left" and others that argue against our efforts to fight these %$#*&s.

If you're not with us, then get out of our way.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SixBravo View Post
    We do that because once you start officially profiling, its a slippery slope - much like registering every firearm or keeping official records. There are consequences to every desicion like that and many are completely unforseen. I am as well with RandyTulsa, stop with the super-duper anal screening and let us carry on aircraft. Numerous studies have shown that shooting a pressurized cabin wall will not cause explosive decompression - despite what makes good Hollywood.

Quote Originally Posted by cagueits View Post
    I am against profiling. If you look nervous/jumpy/break eye contact/etc... further investigate. If you are guarding a secure area, you treat everyone alike, ex-governors, federal agents, MOH winners, grannys, women, children, etc. You search every single person who wants/needs acces unless they are on an official capacity you recognize. You don't know if that person is right in the head/is being forced to contraband dangerous items on board/etc.

Terrorism is evolving. Is not just the muslim looking guy. Tymothy McVeigh was convicted for the Oklahoma building bombing, he wasn't muslim looking. Lets treat everyone the same and look for body language, not body color/origin/nationality - we will be more secure that way. Profiling is an excuse for racism.

My 2 cents.
    I think we're getting hungup on the media's interpretation of 'profiling'.

Here your saying you're against profiling in the first breath ("I'm against profiling"),....then in the next you're advocating profiling ("We should be looking for anybody nervous..etc.."). That is PROFILING!

Profiling shouldn't & isn't just based on race, it is & should be based on the situation you are trying to prevent. As to anti-terrorism...you look for the a particular 'profile'....until the enemy changes tactics, then you change as well.

If your looking for drug dealer, you look for the characteristics of a drug dealer. Looking for a pedophile, you look for those characteristics......etc.........

In all of those cases you are............PROFILING.

Here is a simple example......

Let's say a series of robberies have occurred. There are witnesses that ALL said it was committed by a 'Little Green Man'.

How do you proceed?

By investigating & searching every person in sight or do you look for.......................LITTLE GREEN MEN!...of course, you look for LGM. Anything else is senseless!.......But guess what? you just used PROFILING, so to be politically correct.......you now have to look for 'Big Blue Women' & 'Fat Purple Kids'.

I'm with you on wanting to have people like ourselves, armed, on board airliners. But it will not happen!

You have to be realistic in this. It has been five years since 9/11 & we still haven't completed the task of arming the pilots.

There is no way in hell you are going to get anywhere close to allowing us on an airliner armed. The sheeple aren't going to allow some Joe Blow like you & me to protect them.......they want BIG GOVERNMENT to do it.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

goawayfarm - I see your point, so I will modify it to againts racial/etnic profiling. I also see you example of looking for someone with such and such characteristics. I still think I made my case clear - treat everyone the same going into a secure area.

Links