"Bat out of Hell"!

"Bat out of Hell"!

This is a discussion on "Bat out of Hell"! within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Reading the rant thread on people's favorite driving peeves made me think of our time stationed in Germany: I was driving on the autobahn late ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: "Bat out of Hell"!

Distinguished Member

"Bat out of Hell"!

Reading the rant thread on people's favorite driving peeves made me think of our time stationed in Germany:

I was driving on the autobahn late at night with a buddy coming back from some long meeting. The road was virtually empty. We were doing probably ninety which is fairly common over there (or was, before the Green Party got power). We were just lightly talking when, all at the same time, we felt like someone pushed our car to the right about a quarter lane on the shoulder. Then we saw (no b'sing) two blue flames maybe three feet long disappear to the left and in front of us. Finally it sounded like a an F4 jet just passed us on the left. No distinguishable lights, per se. Nothing in my rear view mirror to warn me. Nothing. We both jumped and yelled at the same time then looked at each other and started laughing.Of course, we had no way to know what car it was or how fast it was going but I can tell you that those blue flames were visible for about two to three seconds.
    "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." Eccl. 10:2

I'm whistling the Twilight Zone theme right now. Spooky, but cool.

Vv
    aznav and pinklady like this.

Those sneaky Germans.

Didn't you know that Volks Wagen had a jet powered Bug?

Engines recovered from the Messerschmitt ME 262 and adapted for use on the Autobahn.
    aznav and pinklady like this.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

I was thinking of a different "bat out of hell"

Hummm....Had a Corvette pass me one night about 160-180mph. Blew me off the road in an 82 Impala (tank) and almost into a guardrail. Cop was trying to catch, but gave up, checked on me and proceeded on. Thought that maybe he couldn't make the heavy curve on our local 2 lane road (actually 4 wide). Was right-he wiped out-flipped it over into a ditch. Cop said he had been going 147 and couldn't catch the buggers. They all were drunk as a skunk and ambulance called for them (but yep-they were alright). I had to give written statement. Turns out it was 3rd time, 3rd brand NEW Corvette wrecked. Magistrate later told me they got 4yrs in jail.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunsmoke16 View Post
    Hummm....Had a Corvette pass me one night about 160-180mph. Blew me off the road in an 82 Impala (tank) and almost into a guardrail. Cop was trying to catch, but gave up, checked on me and proceeded on. Thought that maybe he couldn't make the heavy curve on our local 2 lane road (actually 4 wide). Was right-he wiped out-flipped it over into a ditch. Cop said he had been going 147 and couldn't catch the buggers. They all were drunk as a skunk and ambulance called for them (but yep-they were alright). I had to give written statement. Turns out it was 3rd time, 3rd brand NEW Corvette wrecked. Magistrate later told me they got 4yrs in jail.
    WHOA!
    "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." Eccl. 10:2

It wasn't burrito night at the club,was it?
    aznav, RKflorida and Guest1 like this.
    It is pardonable to be defeated but never surprised.
    2 Ruger alaskan .454s
    Ruger P95
    Rem 870
    Barrett .50BMG

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by IronMike View Post
    As a matter of fact we both smelled rotten eggs!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by IronMike View Post
    They were on their way back from "Senior Fuentes House of Methane". (old Johnny Carson line)
    aznav likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Arborigine's Avatar
    We were travelling down a highway somewhere south of Munich a dozen or so years ago, in a VW squareback pulling a tent trailer. Plenty of tunnels and a nicely made 4 lane highway. Someone passed us at an extreme rate of speed, about ten miles later we saw where he hit the wall next to a tunnel entrance. Not much left but fire and debris.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Arborigine View Post
    We were travelling down a highway somewhere south of Munich a dozen or so years ago, in a VW squareback pulling a tent trailer. Plenty of tunnels and a nicely made 4 lane highway. Someone passed us at an extreme rate of speed, about ten miles later we saw where he hit the wall next to a tunnel entrance. Not much left but fire and debris.
    The old saw says (accurately) that there are not many accidents on the autobahn but the ones they have are spectacular.

VIP Member
    Eighty eight miles per hour!!!!!!

back-to-the-future-collection.jpg
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Wait until Steven Tyler hits the road with his latest ride....

TODAY Entertainment - Steven Tyler buys world's fastest street-legal car
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

Sounds like you got passed by a Vespa.
    aznav likes this.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

Low flying UFO.
    aznav likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links