Am I crazy? Or is this wrong - Page 2

Am I crazy? Or is this wrong

This is a discussion on Am I crazy? Or is this wrong within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I look at it as a lesson in life and the consequences of ones choices. Skip class, pay the price in grades. Skip work, risk ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Am I crazy? Or is this wrong

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    I look at it as a lesson in life and the consequences of ones choices. Skip class, pay the price in grades. Skip work, risk getting fired.

When I was in school, the year ended early for the seniors. That was official. Others tried to enact an unofficial 'skip day', usually to their detriment as the consequences were extra sever to discourage it.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9700 using Tapatalk

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolvingMag View Post
    Once you graduate and get to college you have to grow up, buckle down, and really start working...
    LOL. College for me was more like "throw up, double-down and really start partying".
    atctimmy likes this.

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    LOL. College for me was more like "throw up, double-down and really start partying".
    Well, for the people who take AP classes, it doesn't usually seem to go that way. Unless you go to USC.....

But, here in Rock Hill, at Winthrop- where my wife went- it's very different from your college days. Especially since it's gotten so expensive... I almost throw up every time we mention student loans.

Partying on the weekends is one thing. But, you don't get to have much fun during the week. My point was just that 'skip day' is one of the few times where you're 'allowed' to do something 'wrong' as a kid without getting in any real trouble.
    suntzu and WHEC724 like this.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolvingMag View Post
    Well, for the people who take AP classes, it doesn't usually seem to go that way. Unless you go to USC.....

But, here in Rock Hill, at Winthrop- where my wife went- it's very different from your college days. Especially since it's gotten so expensive... I almost throw up every time we mention student loans.

Partying on the weekends is one thing. But, you don't get to have much fun during the week. My point was just that 'skip day' is one of the few times where you're 'allowed' to do something 'wrong' as a kid without getting in any real trouble.
    My son is going to Tulane...he better not be falling down drunk LOL!!!!And I Agree 100 percent. Let them have that one last rebellious moment. A lot of these kids have worked hard to get into good schools where they will be tasked. And let them be kids one last time....
    Besides, how many folks take a 'sick' day to go play golf? Sick days are not personal days....just saying

The up side of this is that the kids will have to put the teacher's desire before their own desires. Especially difficult with an ass for a teacher. Good self-discipline for the students. Try to remember that H.S. seniors are basically teen age pests. Taking AP classes doesn't change a thing, actually makes it worse since more is expected from those students. Hey kids! Suck it up and do as you're told.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    Bull. No skip day is "sanctioned". It is a tradition that has been going on forever around here. This is just a righteous teacher. If you think he is right to keep the kids in school I respect that opinion. But to now pass the buck to the principal is just plain lame. The principal can not officially do anything. The kids not at school are marked absent. The teacher is a jerk imposing his values on the system. My wife knows the teacher and he is a jerk.
    Everything good and bad that goes on in that school is on the principal. S/he knows what the traditions are and it
    is her duty to fix this problem.

Edit-ADD-- And the problem may be the teacher. That's still on the principal.
    S/he can fix it.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Everything good and bad that goes on in that school is on the principal. S/he knows what the traditions are and it
    is her duty to fix this problem.

Edit-ADD-- And the problem may be the teacher. That's still on the principal.
    S/he can fix it.
    What is he going to do? Demand that the teacher not schedule a quiz on that day? He can't do that. Get real. If he put pressure on the teacher 5 bucks says he would go complain to the beloved teachers union who would most likely back him.
    How about a real simple solution. The man is a dork and maybe he should attend therapy so that he is no longer a dork.

Oh, I might add I am sure that if the teachers were stuck getting a new contract that one of the ways they show defiance is to stage a sick day where all the teachers call in sick...Guess that is OK for the teachers to call in sick and leave the students hanging right...

There's nothing wrong w/ a skip day and teachers should try to remember what it was like when they were kids. Everyone needs a break and a day or two before finals is a great time to blow off some steam and get relaxed before (possibly) the most important tests of your life. Once in the "real world" you get sick and vacation days, this is no different. Hell, my mom and dad gave us each 1 day per year that we could take off for any reason/no reason, w/ no questions asked and they would call in for us.
    Hopyard likes this.
    Smith & Wesson M&P9c
    Sheilded Holsters Double Phalanx

Well, I have a view that probably most won't like.

I was the head of the fish, so to speak.

Skip days are not sanctioned, nor can they be...

I would applaud that teacher for following the rules.

Anyone who would like to run a school district and allow students to have a 'sanctioned' skip day is a lawsuit looking for a place to happen.
    We all know that these kids skip school to go out and party, for the most part, and just let one kid get injured or killed while out on a 'sanctioned' skip day...plan on opening your wallet.

By law (different numbers in different states) students are REQUIRED to spend a certain number of hours/days in the classroom...usually around 185. Student have the remaining 180 days enjoy time with their friends.

OMOYMV
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Whats the quiz worth to his grade. If the percentage is low. Skip the class...

Edit: Forgot to answer your question. Yes you are crazy...
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    Edit: Forgot to answer your question. Yes you are crazy...
    Oops. I forgot too. Yup - you're nuts.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post

Anyone who would like to run a school district and allow students to have a 'sanctioned' skip day is a lawsuit looking for a place to happen.
    We all know that these kids skip school to go out and party, for the most part, and just let one kid get injured or killed while out on a 'sanctioned' skip day...plan on opening your wallet.

By law (different numbers in different states) students are REQUIRED to spend a certain number of hours/days in the classroom...usually around 185. Student have the remaining 180 days enjoy time with their friends.

OMOYMV
    Not quite. I do respect your thoughts but consider this: I have said in replies that the school is not sanctioning nor should sanction any sick day. Matter of fact, I said the principal can not go to the dork of a teacher and put pressure on him to drop the quiz. That limits liability to the school. I mean what else can they do?

As far as the other 180 days...well not really. We are talking about seniors. Many start college in August. Some are joining the military right after school. Others move away becasue their families were waiting for them to graduate with their friends. So, they do not have that 180 more days or an entire summer with theirfriends. This might sound hypocritical or whatever but it has been a tradition in this area for over 60 years. It is not knew and a common and accetpted practice. If a kid needs to stay in school for that day for graduation requirements then that still holds true.
    If this is a new thing at a school I can understand why teachers would not allow the kids to skip.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post

OMOYMV
    Isn't it really in the semantics? I realize its more than half a century since I was in HS but we had one day off
    where as a school arranged event everyone went to an amusement park. They did the same at my son's HS
    about 20 years back. It isn't uncommon for schools to arrange off campus events. Calling it a "skip" day may not be
    the wisest way to name it, but if it is recognized as happening by the school, and allowed, it is an official event
    and the teacher involved should go along with it. And if it is not recognized by the school, and not allowed, then the head
    fish should squeeze the teachers who go along with the game and apply an appropriate punishment to the kids who skip.

You can't have it both ways. It is either official or it is wrong. If it is official, that teacher is not playing right. If it
    is unofficial, and everyone is turning their head, well they will deserve the lawsuit when something happens to one of the
    kids who skipped while all pretended nothing was going on.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Isn't it really in the semantics? I realize its more than half a century since I was in HS but we had one day off
    where as a school arranged event everyone went to an amusement park. They did the same at my son's HS
    about 20 years back. It isn't uncommon for schools to arrange off campus events. Calling it a "skip" day may not be
    the wisest way to name it, but if it is recognized as happening by the school, and allowed, it is an official event
    and the teacher involved should go along with it. And if it is not recognized by the school, and not allowed, then the head
    fish should squeeze the teachers who go along with the game and apply an appropriate punishment to the kids who skip.

You can't have it both ways. It is either official or it is wrong. If it is official, that teacher is not playing right. If it
    is unofficial, and everyone is turning their head, well they will deserve the lawsuit when something happens to one of the
    kids who skipped while all pretended nothing was going on.
    I just want to make sure I got this right. You do not care about a harmless tradition that goes back 60 years in this area and would put a stop to it. Got news for you...the kids are still marked as absent. But sure, why don't we find a long list of traditions in sports, schools, whatever and stop them becasue it wasn;t like that when I was a kid.

And maybe I can see your point if teachers do not do call in sick days so they can get a contract. Great freaking example that is for the kids.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links