Am I crazy? Or is this wrong

This is a discussion on Am I crazy? Or is this wrong within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I believe 'hazing' has it's place in tradition, too! Should we be allowing THAT tradition to continue? Curious... It is important for organizational leaders to ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Am I crazy? Or is this wrong

I believe 'hazing' has it's place in tradition, too!
    Should we be allowing THAT tradition to continue?
    Curious...

It is important for organizational leaders to sometimes take unpopular positions regardless of the 'heat' in the community.
    Should one do what is popular or right? ...the two do not always meet.
    Hopyard likes this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    There have been a lot of good points made in this thread, many wise words of wisdom.

But I stand by my original comment: the teacher is just being a jerk. Regardless of the potential lessons learned, he's just doing that to be a jerk.
    Hopyard likes this.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

You know, from the student's point of view, it sucks. And I understand why. Yeah, senior skip day has been around for a long, long time.

From the teacher in question's point of view... Hey, it's his prerogative to schedule whatever he wants on that day. I wouldn't necessarily say he is on a power trip or narcissistic or all of that. Maybe it's not so much about the quiz he's scheduled, but his opportunity to personally impart a "life's lesson" on choices and personal responsibility. In which case it has less to do about math, and more to do about building character.

In my high school, he wouldn't have been alone in scheduling something important on senior skip day. Several teachers did have quizzes or some project the student had spent time doing all quarter which was due on that day, and not allowed to be turned in early. How's that for sucking? Working on a project all quarter long, and then it's due on senior skip day? That stings a heck of a lot more than a quiz!

To be honest, I can't remember if I participated in senior skip day or not. Not that I was beyond skipping school. I did on a couple occasions, but I do remember that going out to have a drunken bender and wreak havoc wasn't part of my entertainment. A lot of people did go do that. I wasn't part of that crowd.
    RETSUPT99 likes this.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I appreciate where you're coming from, Bark'n, I really do. I ended up graduating high school with barely a 2.0 GPA, made possible by a host of teachers that gave me passing grades just so I could continue to play sports -- true story. Truth is, I skipped so much in my Jr and Sr year that by the time Sr skip day rolled around they were considering naming it after me. So I guess I side a little more with the students on this one.
    tcox4freedom likes this.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Curious...

It is important for organizational leaders to sometimes take unpopular positions regardless of the 'heat' in the community.
    I am talking about a harmless tradition and of course their are limits. Won;t get into the Augusta Golf Course membership LOL. But I am willing to meet 1/8 of a way on this. If the school announced at the beginning of the school year that this long standing tradtion will not allowed and that teachers will ensure that school work is assigned for everyday of the last three weeks up to the finals then at least the kids would know ahead of time and not make plans. This dork, oops, teacher announced the quiz the day before.

Anyway, I do not remember in any grade where the last two weeks there were meaningfull assignments EVERY day, escpecially the last week. That was make up time, extra study time for students having trouble, cleaning the classroom, turning in books.

Quote Originally Posted by bigmacque View Post
    There have been a lot of good points made in this thread, many wise words of wisdom.

But I stand by my original comment: the teacher is just being a jerk. Regardless of the potential lessons learned, he's just doing that to be a jerk.
    Thanks for that comment! Whew! I was trying to find a way to tie this into a gun forum and you have done it for me. It is just like a person OC'ing just to make a point even though it is his right LOL
    bigmacque likes this.

Senior Member Array Inspector71's Avatar
    Glad that's finally settled. So, now what is your son gonna do? Is he gonna take a skip day or take the quiz?
    Hopyard likes this.
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. Because it's in English, thank a vet

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Curious...

Hazing worked for years. It fell out of favor when we started producing week suck kids. Kids so sensitive that they need a pill to function. A skip day has nothing to do with hazing. Come on Ret.....
    Last edited by Harryball; May 30th, 2012 at 03:56 PM.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Quote Originally Posted by Inspector71 View Post
    Glad that's finally settled. So, now what is your son gonna do? Is he gonna take a skip day or take the quiz?
    Of course he is going to take the quiz. That kid is much more mature than I was at his age He is lucky. It is his first class. The other AP class is at 12. The seniors are meeting at a beach 1:30 minutes away so he will skip the rest of the day. The other kids are screwed.

And he doesn't need it for his grade. Even if he got missed it it doesn't weigh that much. Drop him to an A-. Not enough to affect his standing with Tulane with his final transcript. But he is an upstanding kid so he will do it. As far as those that feel the teacher is correct i appreciate their opinion. (though wrong LOL..j/k). But the fact is he is doing it to be a jerk. It was scheduled when he found out when the kids were skipping tomorrow and my wife just walked in the door (she is a nurse at the school) and said he is persona non grata with the other teachers. He was boasting about it.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Does the school not have a principal who sets policy? There is either a senior skip day or there isn't.
    IF it is approved, then the teachers should all be going along with it. If it is not approved, then no one should be going.

The fish rots from the head. Don't blame the teacher.
    This is how it was when I went to High School, it was a planned day, part of the school schedule. Also, if you had all of your require credits needed to graduate, you were able to come to school late or leave early depending on the class schedule you carried for the year and/or semester.
    "Don't start none, won't be none!"

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    Thanks for that comment! Whew! I was trying to find a way to tie this into a gun forum and you have done it for me. It is just like a person OC'ing just to make a point even though it is his right LOL
    I think I laughed out loud a little bit when I read this one.

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    Oops. I forgot too. Yup - you're nuts.
    Same here- definitely crazy.

But not because of this.
    suntzu likes this.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

VIP Member
    I don't look at this as breaking the rules. I look at it as a reward to Seniors for a job well done. IMO the teacher is a jerk.

Also i don't think the school could be held accountable for having a Seniors day off. Kids get days off all year long for hollidays and special occasions. This could be a scheduled Senior day off and it would be no different than any other holliday.
    Hopyard likes this.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

So if enough people break the rules long enough then it's ok?

Kind of like if enough illegal aliens keep coming into the country without following the laws then that's ok too.

Either have it where the day is a planned holiday or enforce the unexcused absences.

I guess there is such a thing as "just a little pregnant".
    Hopyard, msgt/ret and RETSUPT99 like this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    teachers do not do sick days so they can get a contract.
    WI students just got a lot of skip days, and so did their protesting legislators. What kind of message does that send the kids?

Some of the most memorable traditions aren't in the rule books; they're in the hearts of the community bound together by them. If a student is marked absent, the school can't be held liable. For a teacher to sour the senior class, as well as the families and alumni, and to do so out of apparent pettiness, is unconscionable. When there's nothing I can do about hurtful stupidity, I'm told to learn from it. Well screw that. Suntzu, if I called you crazy, it would be the pot calling the kettle something.
    suntzu likes this.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links