Am I crazy? Or is this wrong

This is a discussion on Am I crazy? Or is this wrong within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by NC Bullseye So if enough people break the rules long enough then it's ok? Kind of like if enough illegal aliens keep ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Am I crazy? Or is this wrong

Quote Originally Posted by NC Bullseye View Post
    So if enough people break the rules long enough then it's ok?

Kind of like if enough illegal aliens keep coming into the country without following the laws then that's ok too.

Either have it where the day is a planned holiday or enforce the unexcused absences.

I guess there is such a thing as "just a little pregnant".
    It IS considered an unexcused absence. Guess all of the adults here are perfect also using sick days for personal days.....give the kids a break or are you forgetting what it was like being a senior. Oh yeah, you had to walk to school 12 miles in the snow upphill both ways....

Whenever my Dad told me as a teenager how easy I had I just laugh. Or how easy it is for a kid today. Things are different and kids have mre stuff becasue as a parent I want my kid to have nice stuff as long as he keeps his nose clean.
    My dad said he had to juggle things to have a job, be an alter boy, play sports, keep his grades up, have a used car, and save for college...
    Well, my son has a job, plays hockey and lacrosse, gets straight A's, tutors kids, volunteers in the community, has a 1999 SUV that he pays for the gas and insurance, studies on his own (he speaks 3 languages), and has a job. Where is the difference? And yes I am proud of him. But kids still have a lot of the same worries that our parents had. College is a bigger worry becasue the costs is extravegant.
    DontTreadOnI likes this.

2. Remove Ads

I participated in my senior skip day. My Mom even called in "sick" for me. We went bowling then went to a driving range (golf) and then played a couple rounds of mini-golf. It had no effect on who I was or my work ethic and I went on to college, got a degree and got hired in that field within 3 months of graduating. Not saying that it corrupts anyone, and yes it is breaking the rules, but it's one of those things that let's kids be kids one more time before you get booted into "the real world". (like has already been mentioned)

The principal attempted to put a stop to it by threatening detentions and things like that to those that skipped, but just about everyone had their parents call in sick for them and that almost made a loophole unless the principal could prove otherwise.

I even participated in our version of a senior prank. The night before our last day we all set up tents on the front lawn and camped out. The faces of the teachers coming over the hill in the morning was great!
    atctimmy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    It IS considered an unexcused absence. Guess all of the adults here are perfect also using sick days for personal days.....give the kids a break or are you forgetting what it was like being a senior. Oh yeah, you had to walk to school 12 miles in the snow upphill both ways....

Whenever my Dad told me as a teenager how easy I had I just laugh. Or how easy it is for a kid today. Things are different and kids have mre stuff becasue as a parent I want my kid to have nice stuff as long as he keeps his nose clean.
    My dad said he had to juggle things to have a job, be an alter boy, play sports, keep his grades up, have a used car, and save for college...
    Well, my son has a job, plays hockey and lacrosse, gets straight A's, tutors kids, volunteers in the community, has a 1999 SUV that he pays for the gas and insurance, studies on his own (he speaks 3 languages), and has a job. Where is the difference? And yes I am proud of him. But kids still have a lot of the same worries that our parents had. College is a bigger worry becasue the costs is extravegant.
    So, instead of rewarding a child that is excelling by say, oh I don't know, maybe taking them out for a father son special outing or maybe a free tank of gas you choose to reward them by allowing them to go against the rules set by the school system.

You can justify it any way you want but it still boils down to you rewarding good behavior with allowing them to break the rules or laws set forth for all students.

And the slope gets more and more slippery.

You're argument that
    Guess all of the adults here are perfect also using sick days for personal days....
    does nothing but reinforce my earlier question, so as long as people do it often enough and for long enough it makes it alright to break the rules?

There's a teaching moment wrapped up in this. Your choice is what you want to teach.

The teacher is a JERK!
    If you died today and stood in front of God and He asked you " Why should I let you into My Heaven?" what would you say?

Administrator
    I would agree that the teacher is a jerk if it's a long standing school tradition.

Look at all of the teachers recently that protested (whatever daheck it was that they were protesting) and had Doctors (on scence) to write them phony medical excuses. They are not entirely innocent either.

Back when I was in school every other day was a "skip day" for me since about 7th Grade and I'm doing just fine these days.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links