Am I crazy? Or is this wrong

This is a discussion on Am I crazy? Or is this wrong within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I should not start a thread like that because last time most folks agreed with each other and thought I was crazy But I shall ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Am I crazy? Or is this wrong

Am I crazy? Or is this wrong

I should not start a thread like that because last time most folks agreed with each other and thought I was crazy But I shall try again.

Since as long as I can remember and my dad who is a HS teacher the seniors at high schools do a senior skip day (usually the day before finals or around then). They usually go to like the beach or something like that. Well, this one teacher is scheduling a quiz the day of senior skip day. My son is ticked. It is an AP math course so he can't afford to blow it off. At least his class is at 8:00. Some of the seniors have it at 11:00.

Am I crazy or is this plain flat out wrong. It is a tradition, at least here in northern NE since my dad can remember and this righeous Bozo is trying to ruin it. Funny thing is, it is an AP class. These kids have tried hard for 4 years to get into good colleges. Wife is the HS nurse and she said the entire staff is ticked at this dude.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    That teacher is a control freak, a narcisist and a jerk .... all rolled into one.
    Most teachers I know look forward to senior skip day, lighter load that day.

He probably didn't have any friends to skip school with when he was a senior.
    SpencerB and packinnova like this.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

VIP Member
    Think of it as part of his education; He'll be dealing with people like that for the rest of his life.
    shooterX and atctimmy like this.

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    Did it on purpose!
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

Kudos to the teacher.

School is in session and they are supposed to be there, so I see no reason the teacher should schedule around their desire to break the rules. Maybe the kids can learn that their actions have consequences, even when "everybody has been doing it".
    surefire7 likes this.
    "Legitimate use of violence can only be that which is required in self-defense."
    Ron Paul.

The liberals control the government indoctronation centers.Have you seen the garbage their forcing the kids to learn about these days? Your not crazy,you just don't understand the liberal agenda.
    Spirit51 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by BigFish View Post
    Kudos to the teacher.

School is in session and they are supposed to be there, so I see no reason the teacher should schedule around their desire to break the rules. Maybe the kids can learn that their actions have consequences, even when "everybody has been doing it".
    I guess I would agree with you if it were not for a tradition that has been going on in High Schools for at least 60 years that I know of. And all of the teachers besides this buffoon do not work around it. And no teacher I know of schedules a quiz the 2 days before finals. He did it for the sole reason of keeping kids in class. They enjoy it also. But, I respect your opinion.

Focus, desire, attitude. The goal is to become educated. The point of a prep school is: to prepare the students. Yet, all students are individuals. Indeed, some in any given class are likely to not be able to afford to "blow it off." Seems to me that the instructor should be available to all who choose to attend, if the community is going to support a "skip" day. If any students attend, then, then they've got access to the resource; if not, not. After all, if the result of such "skips" is failure to be prepared, either via blowing an AP grade/test or admission to a university, then the value of a "skip" day seems rather hollow.
    surefire7 likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array Once's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    Think of it as part of his education; He'll be dealing with people like that for the rest of his life.
    I would agree with this. However since it is a long standing tradition I think you can make it an exception. I do have a question, is this guy new?
    Second thing I would do is have everyone that had to stay and take the quiz meet him at the end of his last class and ask as many questions of him so he has to stay and answer them, that way you can screw the end of his day up where he would be wanting to go home.
    suntzu likes this.

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    If I remember right, we had one teacher that would do this. If you didn't skip the class & passed the quiz you could skip the finals; and count the quiz as your final exam.

-

I'm with the teacher. Most folks don't have a boss who would say "sure, just skip any day you want". And the excuse "it's tradition to skip work for [insert traditional thing here]."

If it's just a quiz, how can he not afford to blow it off....unless he hasn't done the other work well enough to pass without that quiz.

VIP Member
    Does the school not have a principal who sets policy? There is either a senior skip day or there isn't.
    IF it is approved, then the teachers should all be going along with it. If it is not approved, then no one should be going.

The fish rots from the head. Don't blame the teacher.
    shooterX, atctimmy and surefire7 like this.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

VIP Member
    Have them change the skip day, and don't let news of it leak up.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    I think the teacher is just trying to be one of those people that says 'you'll be dealing with this the rest of your life'. While it is true, high school is one of the last points in your life- before you retire- that just skipping a day doesn't hurt anything.

Nobody gave us any trouble at my school about our skip day.

I don't see it as much as being a matter of tradition- it's one day of the school year where kids can still be kids. Once you graduate and get to college you have to grow up, buckle down, and really start working. My wife, due to health problems and her major, was in college for five years. Depending on what they do after they graduate, those kids are looking forward to at least 4 more years of school, and then another 10-30 to pay back all of their student loans. I think they deserve one day where they don't have teachers/adults pressuring them into 'this is how the rest of your life will be'.

That teacher is just a... few things that shouldn't be said in a family friendly environment. Sorry.
    goldmaster likes this.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Does the school not have a principal who sets policy? There is either a senior skip day or there isn't.
    IF it is approved, then the teachers should all be going along with it. If it is not approved, then no one should be going.

The fish rots from the head. Don't blame the teacher.
    Bull. No skip day is "sanctioned". It is a tradition that has been going on forever around here. This is just a righteous teacher. If you think he is right to keep the kids in school I respect that opinion. But to now pass the buck to the principal is just plain lame. The principal can not officially do anything. The kids not at school are marked absent. The teacher is a jerk imposing his values on the system. My wife knows the teacher and he is a jerk.
    DontTreadOnI likes this.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links