Good chance of rain - put top back on my Jeep: Zippers hard to start.

This is a discussion on Good chance of rain - put top back on my Jeep: Zippers hard to start. within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Had my top down for several days. Love it! Since my Wrangler (TJ) is also my daily - I listen to the weather often. Today ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By ArmyCop
  • 2 Post By Geezer

Thread: Good chance of rain - put top back on my Jeep: Zippers hard to start.

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar

Had my top down for several days. Love it! Since my Wrangler (TJ) is also my daily - I listen to the weather often. Today and the next few for Mobile Alabama area sounded like I didn't want to risk it so I put my top back on this morning before going on duty.
    Not too hard doing this by myself - EXCEPT for those darn side windows! Starting the zippers just gives me fits.

Now - if the zippers only started at the rear bottom of each window I think that'd make a BIG improvement for me.

Anyone else have fits putting top back on alone?
    Anyone else have a hard time with putting side windows back on?
    For God, Family and Country!

Quote Originally Posted by ArmyCop View Post
    Had my top down for several days. Love it! Since my Wrangler (TJ) is also my daily - I listen to the weather often. Today and the next few for Mobile Alabama area sounded like I didn't want to risk it so I put my top back on this morning before going on duty.
    Not too hard doing this by myself - EXCEPT for those darn side windows! Starting the zippers just gives me fits.

Now - if the zippers only started at the rear bottom of each window I think that'd make a BIG improvement for me.

Anyone else have fits putting top back on alone?
    Anyone else have a hard time with putting side windows back on?
    Would soap or crisco help?
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Problem I'm having isn't from lack of lubrication but from from how at the top front where it has to start zipping - being in a small tight hard to get too location. Once it's started it's not hard to finish. I'd like it to start at the rear bottom area where it'd be a lot easier to start.

Is it the stock top? I just replaced the top on my TJ a couple months ago. The stock top it had was just too worn out. I actually had to cut a couple places to get it off as the zippers were just frozen. Obviously not the problem you're having, but I know what you're talking about. Just a tiny little space to work in to get those zippers started. Not much to do to help with that honestly. I have nimble fingers so it wasn't too terribly hard for me, but if it was cold or my hands were sore from anything it was quite the struggle.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

I called a local auto upholstery shop and they said they could replace my zippers and have the new ones start at the other end like I mentioned but it'd cost about $40 to $45 for each window.
    TheGiant likes this.

It's been a few years, but I remember that that was my main complaint. If I remember correctly, if I started the zippers BEFORE I seated the front seal/lip, there wasn't the tension that was making the task difficult - in other words keep the top limp until the very last..
    ArmyCop and Herknav like this.

Turn the jeep upside down?

HAd an old CJ7 and I had a hard time if the material was cold. The windows were not as flexable, so it was hard to line everything up right

Quote Originally Posted by NC Bullseye View Post
    Turn the jeep upside down?
    Always a possibility.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Take the carpet out, remove the drain plugs and don't worry about a little rain!

Rubbing them hard with a candle (waxing them) will help...but it's the tension thing as Geezer said above.

Quote Originally Posted by txron View Post
    HAd an old CJ7 and I had a hard time if the material was cold. The windows were not as flexable, so it was hard to line everything up right
    +1. For your application, I think Geezer's got the answer. Zip the top and then hook the seal into the lip.
    I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth.--Steve McQueen

Links