Rural internet service

Rural internet service

This is a discussion on Rural internet service within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Living in the country sure has some advantages, but it also has some downsides too. About the only decent choice for internet service here is ...

VIP Member

Rural internet service

Living in the country sure has some advantages, but it also has some downsides too. About the only decent choice for internet service here is satellite, in fact we have two, one for television and one for internet connection. The one we have for the internet is Hughesnet, we've had it for about 7-8 years, it's alright, certainly nothing to brag about. Right now my system is having some intermittent connectivity problems and may be dying; I was thinking about what may out there that is better?

I saw an ad for Exede broadband, which is essentially a satellite internet connection similar to Hughes, but it's using a new satellite that supposedly gives subscribers up to 12 mbps. Does anyone have Exede or know anything about it?

In a related matter, we have a new cell phone tower nearby, about one-half mile away, it's not operational yet. Some company owns it and AT&T will definitely be on it, plus some others probably. My question is this, and I don't know much about cell towers, but is it necessary for them to connect new wiring or fiber optics from the cell phone tower to a local phone switching station. If so, they would pass by with new wiring right past me, and I was wondering if the new wiring would have the possibility of me getting internet connection that way. I know it wouldn't be associated with the cell phone tower, but you'd think the upgrade in wiring would give local customers the option of tapping in for internet connection. If that is in the future I might hold out for that, but not sure of this at all.

Any help would be appreciated
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

My company provides me with a Verizon card and my parents have one also at Thier farm and have very good luck with it. I have had satellite Internet and it is ok as long as no clouds in the sky where the wireless card works well 99 percent f the time. I don't think that is much over 30 a month around here which is less then half of the satellite we used to have

I'm not too knowledgable on the finer points such as equipment, contracts, and speed, but AT&T does offer several internet options. It might be worth a look now that they're in your area.

Administrator
    Right now I'm using a Verizon USB Mobile Broadband (4G LTE) thingy on the wifes cheapie laptop and it works pretty well.
    I've used it in a few remote areas and it was still fine but, I wouldn't call it a Smokin' Hot Internet device.
    But, at least it doesn't stall out or bump me off like their 3G did constantly.

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar
    Yep, I'll add to the USB service crowd... got one for my Dad who would otherwise have to use dial-up (and still does, can't break him of it). He likes having both though, sometimes one is faster than the other - kind of hit or miss.

So what has happened to all this money the FCC collects on our phone bill to provide service to rural location?

VIP Member
    Good question and I might have stumbled on the answer. I called Exede and inquired about the various service plans, the first plan he offered was pretty much a free government-backed plan. Granted the speed and useage was slow and low but it was CHEAP to get into, and he referenced the govt as the backer and mentioned some law that had recently been signed.

It was too slow and low for me and I quickly told him no, but he kept referring back to it, I'm guessing it was very profitable for them.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Lead Moderator
    Sending this through excede service internet. I works fairly fast and is miles ahead of the old Wildblue sat service I upgraded from. I have had better speed and connection in general than the old Wildblue dish /service. If it works as good as mine I think you will be happy. Not a computer guru so can't give you any stats, sorry.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    Sending this through excede service internet. I works fairly fast and is miles ahead of the old Wildblue sat service I upgraded from. I have had better speed and connection in general than the old Wildblue dish /service. If it works as good as mine I think you will be happy. Not a computer guru so can't give you any stats, sorry.
    Thanks, I was hoping someone was a subscriber. Exede advertises up to 12 Mbps, though not guaranteed. My Hughesnet connection, I tested 3 times yesterday, is running less than 2 Mbps.

BTW thanks for the previous suggestion of the USB card. Actually we have one for our iPad, and use it pretty reliably when we travel, but at home, we are still pretty far away from an active cell phone tower. A nearby tower is being built, it's not online yet and I don't know if it will support our card. When I built our house in the mid 80's I used foam board insulation right behind the bricks, the insulation is two-sided aluminum foil and that hinders us from getting strong wireless signals. That stuff works much like the foil hats !

Links