Bad - Culpeper VA officer indicted for murder in woman’s shooting

This is a discussion on Bad - Culpeper VA officer indicted for murder in woman’s shooting within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; BY DONNIE JOHNSTON Donnie Johnston: djohnston@freelancestar.com By Newsroom Staff on May 29th, 2012 7:22 pm Fredricksburg.com My Comments: I don't know where to fall on ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Bad - Culpeper VA officer indicted for murder in woman’s shooting

I'm the guy next door that is polite, but does not tell you crap.

Bad - Culpeper VA officer indicted for murder in woman’s shooting

BY DONNIE JOHNSTON

Donnie Johnston:
    djohnston@freelancestar.com
    By Newsroom Staff on May 29th, 2012 7:22 pm
    Fredricksburg.com

My Comments: I don't know where to fall on this one. Something smells funny in Denmark here.... Read the article and what details they give. You may fall on either side of this one after the second time you think about it.

According to the Virginia State Police, Harmon–Wright has been charged with one count of murder, malicious shooting into an occupied vehicle, malicious shooting into an occupied vehicle resulting in a death and use of a firearm in the commission of a felony.

-----(snip - skipped a lot of detail in the article).........

The state police, who initially investigated the incident, issued a statement the day after the shooting saying that Cook had rolled up her car window, which caught the officer’s arm and caused him to be dragged. Cook’s husband said later that the Jeep had no power windows.

-----(snip)-------

Sources have said that Cook was struck in the head.

The witness said Harmon–Wright, an Iraq War veteran, continued to fire his weapon as Cook’s vehicle rolled slowly south on East Street before finally coming to a stop against a utility pole.

Cook was struck several times, according to sources, and pronounced dead at the scene.

Read and ponder the rest of this at: Culpeper officer indicted for murder in woman’s shooting - The News Desk

2. Remove Ads

Sounds like many "facts" are being restrained from being released. Sad no matter who's fault. I don't really get the charges being filed though. Kinda sounds like being charged for the same thing twice.

VIP Member
    ETA: This post is based purely on the information available. My opinion could change if more information comes in.

I think he's going down. IMO he lost it and made a bad decision.

The sad part is that it seems she was part of the problem. So many people want to argue with police, then they get smacked down and go cry about it later. "Why oh why did this happen?" It happened because you didn't de-escalate the situation when you had the chance. There is no winning a fight with police while on the side of the road.

This woman paid for her defiance with her life. Now she didn't deserve to be shot (IMO) but she is not blameless. She was told at least twice by a uniformed officer with gun in hand to "Stop or I'll shoot". She didn't stop and she got shot.

Now remember boys and girls, the man pointing the gun at you makes the rules. End of lesson.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    ETA: This post is based purely on the information available. My opinion could change if more information comes in.

The sad part is that it seems she was part of the problem. So many people want to argue with police, then they get smacked down and go cry about it later. "Why oh why did this happen?" It happened because you didn't de-escalate the situation when you had the chance. There is no winning a fight with police while on the side of the road.

This woman paid for her defiance with her life. Now she didn't deserve to be shot (IMO) but she is not blameless. She was told at least twice by a uniformed officer with gun in hand to "Stop or I'll shoot". She didn't stop and she got shot.

Now remember boys and girls, the man pointing the gun at you makes the rules. End of lesson.
    Remember in the 1930's and early 40's life was much easier if you didn't argue with the nazi ss. I'm not comparing police officers to nazis by any means. I have the utmost respect for leo's as by and large they go above and beyond. But a police officer is not always right and I will stand up for myself.

P95
    The officer seemed to loose it when the woman started to drive away. Regardless of the intent of the woman...good or bad...she was unarmed and broke no laws. She was free to leave the premises as she attempted to do when the cowboy cop shot her down. I hope he serves lots of time.

Senior Member Array Inspector71's Avatar
    The thing I don't understand is why the LEO felt the need to draw and fire, unless he had undisputable evidence the person fleeing was a dangerous felon? I have seen nothing to indicate that was the case. Was his arm trapped inside the window as he claims, or was his hand on the door handle as a witness reported? Hopefully, the truth will come out on all counts in trial.
    Spirit51 and atctimmy like this.
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. Because it's in English, thank a vet

This will be a interesting case to follow. On face value it seems the officer was being a "power tripping", over bearing cowboy.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Doodle View Post

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post

Remember in the 1930's and early 40's life was much easier if you didn't argue with the nazi ss. I'm not comparing police officers to nazis by any means. I have the utmost respect for leo's as by and large they go above and beyond. But a police officer is not always right and I will stand up for myself.
    What are you saying here? You would have shot the officer? You would have fought him for control of his gun?

Did you read my post at all? Let me paraphrase it so you can better understand.

The cop is going down because he lost it and murdered this woman.

She (the victim) picked a fight with the wrong police officer and she died because of it. She may have been right but now she's dead. Do you think that was a win for her?

I'll say it again just for you. Don't argue with police on the side of the road. There is no winning that argument. The time and place to argue is later in court or in front of the chief. I don't mean that people should roll over for the Gestapo. I mean that you should SURVIVE and then fight at the proper place and time.
    WHEC724 and SIXTO like this.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by P95 View Post
    The officer seemed to loose it when the woman started to drive away. Regardless of the intent of the woman...good or bad...she was unarmed and broke no laws. She was free to leave the premises as she attempted to do when the cowboy cop shot her down. I hope he serves lots of time.
    You have no idea if she had broken or was breaking a law at the time. She was not obeying a lawful order from a uniformed officer. That's breaking the law right there.

I think the officer was wrong but you are just speculating and stating it as fact.
    SIXTO likes this.

"[A special investigative grand jury Tuesday handed down a murder indictment against the Culpeper town policeman who shot and killed a 54-year]"

He will go to court, No getting out of it..
    H/D

Quote Originally Posted by Crashoften View Post
    Sounds like many "facts" are being restrained from being released. Sad no matter who's fault. I don't really get the charges being filed though. Kinda sounds like being charged for the same thing twice.
    I live in Culpeper County and you're right, many facts are as yet unknown by the general public. It's very disturbing to the entrie community. I personally wonder about the driver's medical state. By all accounts, she was a quiet, stable person with no history of contact with police or any other trouble in her life. Did she understand that the man was a police officer? Many conditions can cause a person to become disoriented and unable to properly respond to their environment. Some descriptions sound like she may have been confused before the officer even arrived on scene.

We won't know until the case is completely resolved, if even then. In any case, if one of us continued to fire at a fleeing/departing subject we'd face the same charges the officer is facing.
    The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good.

George Washington

Administrator
    Let me say this first so certain types dont turn this into a flame war again... A GJ with far more information that we have indicted the officer, so I do believe plenty of wrong was done by him. I also have some officer safety and tactics question about the incident to after reading the article...

But there are a couple of statements made in the previous posts and in the article that are flat wrong and only add to the sensational journalism that is designed to get the simpletons in an up roar;

First, she was indeed armed. That Jeep is one hell of a weapon.
    Second, she did in fact break a law or two. The officer was conducting a legit investigation and she failed to comply with a legal and lawful order. Now that doesn't mean she should have been shot by any means, but its not like the officer walked up and killed her in pure cold blood.

Moderator hat on;

This has nothing to do with concealed carry, its being moved to off topic
    goldshellback and Adameeski like this.
    "Just blame Sixto"

For me it all boils down to this.
    Was the officer operating within his legal power when he shot the person. If so we need to look into changing the law.
    If on the other hand if the officer used excessive (illegal) force then he should be treated the same as any other person who might take another persons life.

Just as self-defense does not shield a citizen from just any homicide. Neither should wearing a badge.

Michael

Maybe the police are held to the same standard....
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Have you ever been dragged by a vehicle? We have had a few LEO's in DE both killed and greviously injured as a result of being dragged by a motor vehicle. If someone is willing to drive away while you are trapped by their vehicle, they are going to either kill you, or hurt you very badly in the process. Put in the same situation, they get one, maybe two chances to stop, then I'm going to shoot them.
    atctimmy likes this.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links