What are you guys grillin' with? - Page 2

What are you guys grillin' with?

This is a discussion on What are you guys grillin' with? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Good old hickory in my smoker...Propane with lava rocks. After about two years the lava rocks get nice and seasoned. I use it all and ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: What are you guys grillin' with?

Good old hickory in my smoker...Propane with lava rocks. After about two years the lava rocks get nice and seasoned. I use it all and make no apologies for it...
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

A big +1 for the Big Green Egg.

But if you choose a Weber, I still highly recommend using Hardwood "Lump" charcoal. NOT briquettes.

I.e. "Wicked Good" is one of my favorites, or even the inexpensive "Cowboy" brand is better than briquettes.
    DMan and Cory1022 like this.

Where is the best/cheapest place to buy a Big Green Egg (Small)? Amazon?

As mentioned once or twice, Hardwood provides the best flavor. Briquettes are "okay" but not the "ready to light" stuff that already has the lighter fluid soaked into it, that is NASTY! If you do use it, let it burn a LONG time before putting any food on it. Gas is great if you don't want the flavors from the smoke - which in some cases is where I am at. Smokey flavors on some of the non-meat items I cook move the flavors away from what I am looking for.

Now with all this talk of grilling, we need some recipies going! Where is that thread?
    "Gun Free Zones" is where only criminals carry guns.

Right now....I have a small Kingsford grill for outside. It's one of those tailgate size quick and easy grills. I like steak so therefore I also have one of those high wattage George Foreman grills for inside. If it's raining....no problem. I don't cook for a family, just me and maybe the the girlfriends whenever. I do like the Kingsford mesquite charcoal that has the wood chips already in the cubes. Easy light and easy cooking. I pretty much use Lawry's seasoning salt for all my grilling. Tony Chatchers Creole seasoning for my chicken, and Lawry's lemon pepper for my fish. What more do you want to know now that you've made me hungry?
    DefConGun likes this.

If you're buying charcoal briquettes, the only brand to use is Kingsford. (But don't use the "ready light" as many others have mentioned. Kingsford charcoal will give you less hassles. It burns consistently and evenly and it does not go out.

Don't skimp and get the cheapest no-name charcoal you can find. It's really worth it to go Kingsford.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Weber one touch, lump charcoal, and a chimney.

Weber is the best. They invented the grill...If you go check out their website you can see the history story about how it was a bouy he cut in half to grill out of. Their website has some really great grill creation ideas/recipes as well. I prefer Kingsford Matchlight charcoal & Kingsford starter fluid. It just tastes better. Need some hickory smoke chips to sprinkle on as well. McCormack's Montreal Steak Seasoning to sprinkle on. Leo & Perryman's Worstershire (they invented it). Praise Alla sprinkle for bread or fries/tots or taters. Garlic minced to spread on the steak or stuff a potato (roll it in foil and cook in the coals) and Budwiser regular to sprinkle on the burgers and steaks (don't tell the guests, but they will eat the burgers faster than you can cook them)- not to drink...save the Miller Lite for that. I usually marinate the steaks in Bud for a few hours in fridge, get a big piece of AL foil cupping it and pouring some in, steak in then and garlic rubbed on them, foil closed up and cook for a little while on grill. BEWARE when removing that the liquid is extremely flammable. Drag the steaks out onto the grill, leaving the garlic on top & pour a little more Bud on them. Cook just long enough to sear the bottom and turn it over, putting some Leo & Perryman's Worstershire on them. Cook a little longer. Should be very tender. I use the Montreal Steak Seasoning on almost all veggies, especially green beans (best flat style, cooked in crock pot with bacon, onion, butter & Montreal SS added). If cooking chicken or pork chops, I just use the italian seasoning sprinkled on them. BBQ recipe: 1 jar Kraft BBQ sauce mixed with 1/2 Bud in a bowl, stirred up with 2 tspn black pepper and it tastes just like the KFC on chicken.

HCF
    I like my New Holland. Lifetime burner, ignitor, stainless pan you can fill to steam food, built in smoker box, indirect flame.

VIP Member
    Get a Webber and come to the darkside of Propane or Natural Gas. Far more predictable and versitile. I can cook darn near anything on my Webber Genusis.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Administrator
    The better quality charcoal grills have a fired glass/enamel coating on them. The Webers have the superior glass/enamel fired on coating.
    The cheaper charcoal imported grills are coated with high heat paint.
    If you get one coated with a high heat paint then you need to light up some charcoal in it and really get it hot BEFORE you ever grill anything on it.
    You need to burn that smell out of the paint or it will transfer to your food.
    The Chinese do not care if they kill Americans with their cheap grill paint. We are obviously still "the enemy" with them.
    So you MUST burn the crap out of that paint and break in a cheapo grill before you cook on it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    I agree w/ the Kingsford charcoal. I actually have some mesquite wood chunks and I soak those in some water and then add only a few in right before I put my meat on.
    If I am grilling anything that I don't want too mesquite-ish then I add a few pieces of apple wood.

I went through several before finally dropping the dough on a Weber Genesis. Man it was so hard to pay that for a grill, but it has been worth every bit of it.
    C hawk Glock likes this.

VIP Member
    Heck you guys are making me hungry!
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

If any of you haven't already, you have to make beercan chicken. It is out of this world. Basically buy a whole chicken, jam a half full beercan up it's a...Err opening, slather the outside with butter and spices and throw it on the grill in the standing position. It will cook and the beer, or whatever you decide to use will basically boil and self marinate the bird from the inside out. The outside will be crispy and the inside moist and juicy. Turns out a lot like the rotisserie chicken you can get in the grocery store.

This recipe is dependent on the bird arriving at your grill only after being killed, field dressed, gutted, and de feathered. Don't want anyones neighbor thinking you are performing voodoo rituals at dinner time. :)
    It's kind of like how some people have a sudden and insatiable desire to talk about vampires after the Twilight series became popular, except zombies are much less gay and more likely to exist one day

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    Thank you so much for all of the wonderful responses! Alot of great tips and advice in this thread.

I have never heard of the Green Egg. I looked it up and it does look like a marvelous device - a little out of my price range for the moment though. I'll be sure to tell my buddy about it. He likes to grill too and makes a cheap steak from the grocery taste pretty good by grilling it with some soy sauce and garlic salt.

I didn't know there was that much difference in charcoal. I will make sure to get the good stuff. I might even try the non-brisket kind, if I can find it.

I looked at the Weber Smokey Jr. the other night at Wal-Mart and was real tempted to buy it. I also looked at the 18.5 & 22.5" Webers. The 18.5 is more along the lines of what I was thinking about but with the 22.5 only being $20 more, it tempts me to get the bigger model. Mostly I'll be cooking for myself but it would be nice to have the extra grill real-estate for times when you have a few friends over.

The Webers do cost alot more than the cheap grills but it sounds like you really get what you pay for in these things. It sounds like several of you guys have gotten a lot of service from your models.

I'll be sure to make a post when I do get one. I'm going out tomorrow after church and might stop somewhere to look at grills. I'm already tempted to pick one up.

Thanks again guys!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links