What are you guys grillin' with?

This is a discussion on What are you guys grillin' with? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I'm one of those crazy guys who finally bought into the Big Green Egg. I love mine. Doesn't matter if it's January and snowing, it ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: What are you guys grillin' with?

I'm one of those crazy guys who finally bought into the Big Green Egg. I love mine. Doesn't matter if it's January and snowing, it just works. Retains heat. If you want a grill for steaks, dogs, burgers, etc. then save your money and buy a grill. If you plan to smoke meat and do it hassle free with charcoal, buy a BGE. it does both really well.

My wow moment was a 15 hour smoke on three pork shoulders without adding any additional charcoal during the smoke.

Did I say they are pricey? They are. I moved up from a Weber kettle. Was a hit at first. So glad I could afford one when I did.
    Cory1022 likes this.

2. Remove Ads

I have been cooking outside on a grill for years,usually several times a week.Almost anything I can cook inside can be cooked
    outside on a grill and tastes so much better. I purchased a Chargriller combo Gas/Charcoal grill with a smoke box on the side from Academy Sports 2yrs ago. Best of both worlds. I am also a fan of natural lump charcoal, much better then regular charcoal. Sometimes cant find it out here so Kingsford is next best choice.

I just picked up a Weber 22.5" today. I gave an old gas grill that I had to my parents, it was too big for me and never did cook evenly. The Weber seems perfect for myself and when I have my girlfriend over. Now I have to shop around for good buys on charcoal if I plan on grilling multiple times per week.

Weber Kettle grill for me. It is getting old and I need a new one. Been looking at a gas grill,,,,but wife would pitch a "you know what" if I do. So time for a new Weber.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

You will never regret a Weber; I have several and the Weber Kettle's are fantastic. You can get basically the same grill with different bells and whistles for example with an ash can catcher, table/propane starter (Performer), etc. But, the basic weber kettle is the main part of the grill. I've never had a Big Green Egg and one day I may venture that way. I have two Weber Smokey Mountain smokers for smoking meat and I absolutely love them. You can smoke with a kettle grill, but a real smoker will allow you do to much more. As mentioned, chimney's are great. I recommend going to the Virtual Weber bullet dot com web site. Great source for all kinds of grilling, smoking, gas/charcoal, recipes, etc. I use it all the time. And as mentioned, never, ever buy the match light stuff. Good luck from another kentuckian! Steve
    DefConGun likes this.

I am 30 year grill man and I would say go to bass pro and buy the "off brand", Browning, Big Brown Egg - superb and $500 cheaper than the comparable Green egg. Do it!

I've had the 22" Weber silver for about 3 years now and love it. I use Kingsford and a chimney.

I cook on it a lot, mostly just for me, the wife, and the kids. It's nice to have the extra room though for when we have people over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Mike
    Glock 17, Dale Fricke Archangel, Wilderness Tactical belt.
    My Guns and Tattoos Blog

Gas
    Why?? Because at the last second, the Police are minutes away.

I'm a charcoal man for grilling, but my parents discovered something for smoking that's interesting. They have a two-chamber smoker. In the small chamber there's a propane fire ring from a turkey fryer, with a cast-iron skillet on the grill above it. Wet wood chips go in the skillet, and the propane does a great job of keeping a consistent temperature without much hassle. The best ribs I've ever had came out of that smoker.
    ericb327 likes this.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    Check out the barbecue bible by Steven Raichlen. Great recipes and he talks about methods, types and theory. Also has a section for resources. My favorite cookbook after James Beard!
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

I used my Weber Silver charcoal grill last night for the first time. Cooked salmon and it came out delicious. Now I am constantly thinking about what I want to cook next.

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    I went to out yesterday and was going to look at the Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Series Kettle. Can you believe that no one locally had it? I was pretty much in the frame of mind to pick one up that day - but it was a big no-go.

Last night I found one on the Bass Pro site. I didn't originally consider Bass Pro b/c this seems like an item that they would carry with a great mark-up considering how its not an item that is at the heart of their core business. Can you imagine to my surprise, however, when I found out that they were about $10 less than everyone else (on Google shopping) but was also offering free shipping?? Sears actually had the grill listed cheaper than Bass Pro but by the time you throw on $24 for shipping; Bass Pro worked out to be $1 cheaper, even after throwing in the Weber chimney.

I ordered the grill and the chimney from Bass Pro last night. I got a confirmation number but never got the confirming email. I called and inquired about it today and they said the order is good to go but hasn't shipped yet. She said I'll get it next week. Seems to be a little slow on the shipping but I won't complain per the free shipping - I'll wait a few days to save $24.

In the meantime, I found a nifty starter that might be a little more convenient on starting the coals than the chimney, albeit - its a lot more expensive. I looked at the Looflighter at the mall yesterday but decided I didn't need it.

After looking at it today, I reconsidered at how convenient the device might be to have and as a gift, my mom ordered one for me.

I'll let you guys know how I like it and will post pics when I get the Weber.

Here's a demo for the Looftlighter, I can't wait to try it out;

Quote Originally Posted by ericb327 View Post
    Check out the barbecue bible by Steven Raichlen. Great recipes and he talks about methods, types and theory. Also has a section for resources. My favorite cookbook after James Beard!
    Agreed, no need to spend the long dollar....

ericb327 likes this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    This is my Baby! The bushes behind are sage and to the right is my mint.

My Baby.jpg

I cooked Asian Grilled Chicken thigh last night. I made up this recipe last night.

Skinless Chicken Thighs
    3 TBSP Asian Fish Sauce
    Handful chopped mint
    1 Stalk Lemongrass finely chopped
    1 inch fresh ginger finely chopped
    1 TSP sugar
    Juice of one lime
    3 TBSP Sambal Chili Paste
    1 TBSP canola oil
    1 handful chopped cilantro
    1/4 cup water
    2 cloves garlic finely chopped

Mix all ingredients and marinate chicken two hours in baggie or dish that lets marinade cover.

Make 4 cuts to the bone, two on each side of thighs.

Cook over medium to low heat paying attention not to burn. Some char is desirable.

Spoon remaining marinade over chicken during cooking. Make sure the marinade cooks off to avoid salmonella poisoning.

Enjoy!
    ron8903 likes this.
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

Webber Kettle grill user here, 22, 18 inch.

check out BBQpitboys.com, great recipes for the webber
    "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
    - Sir Winston Churchill

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links