4th Ammendment, anyone? Police stop 19 cars, handcuff occupants & search all vehicles

This is a discussion on 4th Ammendment, anyone? Police stop 19 cars, handcuff occupants & search all vehicles within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Police Stop, Handcuff Every Adult at Intersection in Search for Bank Robber - ABC News Police said they had received what they called a “reliable” ...

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree128Likes

Thread: 4th Ammendment, anyone? Police stop 19 cars, handcuff occupants & search all vehicles

4th Ammendment, anyone? Police stop 19 cars, handcuff occupants & search all vehicles

Police Stop, Handcuff Every Adult at Intersection in Search for Bank Robber - ABC News

Police said they had received what they called a “reliable” tip that the culprit in an armed robbery at a Wells Fargo bank committed earlier was stopped at the red light.

“We didn’t have a description, didn’t know race or gender or anything, so a split-second decision was made to stop all the cars at that intersection, and search for the armed robber,” Aurora police Officer Frank Fania told ABC News.

Officers barricaded the area, halting 19 cars.

“Cops came in from every direction and just threw their car in front of my car,” Sonya Romero, one of the drivers who was handcuffed, told ABC News affiliate KMGH-TV in Denver.

From there, the police went from car to car, removing the passengers and handcuffing the adults.

“Most of the adults were handcuffed, then were told what was going on and were asked for permission to search the car,” Fania said. “They all granted permission, and once nothing was found in their cars, they were un-handcuffed.”

The search lasted between an hour and a half and two hours, and it wasn’t until the final car was searched that police apprehended the suspect."

2. Remove Ads

Just thinking - I'm betting the "reliable tip" was a GPS device.
    Secret Spuk and pilot101 like this.

Here's how to get away with a bank robbery: come out of the bank with the loot, grab your cell phone and call 911. Tell them you saw a Mexican fleeing the bank wearing a blue shirt and gray pants and he got into a black 1997 Honda Accord, lic. plate beginning with "HK". That should buy you enough time to get your white, green shirt wearing self into your Chevy! That may've been what happened here, albeit with limited success.

Senior Member Array Inspector71's Avatar
    I'm old and grumpy, but I hope I can hang on just a little longer. I can't wait to see what happens next in what used to be America.
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. Because it's in English, thank a vet

OK, the tip actually turned out to be reliable. BG caught. Good.......... right.....?!?

Uh, putting myself in that situation, not knowing what was going on, I probley would not have granted premission to search my vehicle. I'm not 100% certin I would say no, but I've done it before. I'd be in a 'hurt' just because I'd more than likely been carrying.... double 'oh no' for me in this sceniro.

I'd had nothing to hide, but............... This is just sticky and bad on so many levels.
    msgt/ret, Badey, mano3 and 4 others like this.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

There's no way I would have consented to a search. There's a good chance I'd have popped a curb and gotten the heck out of Dodge, thinking there might be a shootout about to happen.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    while driving myself out of there at almost any cost, id be 911'ing that there is an invasion of possibly UN peacekeepers at X & Y street

g-d save the queen and what the heck has happened to the country i was raised in?

and the fact that some one was actually caught is worse cause it now reinforces this brute farce tactic
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Ah, the "new and improved" America......... What's not to love about it!!!!
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

Being that the perp was caught and everyone else was released after their innocence had been proven I believe that most Americans are probably OK with this. I'm afraid "land of the free, and home of the brave" is quickly becomming little more than an empty phrase uttered before a baseball game.
    "The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good.
    --George Washington

Senior Member Array GeorgiaDawg's Avatar
    Bad move. Handcuffs should not have been used on anyone but suspects in the crime.
    mcgyver210 likes this.
    "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." - Ephesians 2:8-9

“The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed” - Ayn Rand

Quote Originally Posted by craze View Post
    Being that the perp was caught and everyone else was released after their innocence had been proven I believe that most Americans are probably OK with this.
    I am uncomfortable with this method. I don't think the "ends justify the means". I don't need to "prove" my innocence. I thought I was innocent until proven guilty. I'm not trying to nitpick, I'm just a crotchy old geezer who probably should back off the coffee in the afternoon.

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    Wow, I would definitly not have consented to searching my car or person, and would most definitly be contacting a lawyer. I don't necessarily like the concept of sueing people if you feel slighted, but money talks, and I would be wanting to kick the police department in the proverbial nuts, not just a slap on the hand, to nip this trend in the bud. What is next, lockdown a whole neighborhood and search door to door? Blockade towns because you had a tip there was a drug shipment driving through, or a criminal on the loose? This is outrageous, and I hope someone presses charges against the department.
    atctimmy, RichB70, FTG-05 and 1 others like this.
    Walk softly ...

Distinguished Member Array Burns's Avatar
    Terrible police work all around. You put 18 cars of people at risk by ILLEGALLY trapping them in with the criminal instead of allowing them to leave.
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

Quote Originally Posted by Burns View Post
    Terrible police work all around. You put 18 cars of people at risk by ILLEGALLY trapping them in with the criminal instead of allowing them to leave.
    Exactly. If the "suspect" had been an armed and unstable person, there could have easily been a shootout. We all know what happens when you corner things with claws.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

VIP Member
    “Once officers got to his car, they found evidence that he was who they were looking for,” Fania said. “When they searched the car, they found two loaded firearms.”
    If that were the only evidence they found how many of us here would have been arrested in the same circumstances???
    MisterAvis, BkCo1, FTG-05 and 1 others like this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Links