A Pat on My Own Back!

This is a discussion on A Pat on My Own Back! within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Reminds me of the inverted proverb: "Let your own lips praise you, and not another!" This, obviously, does not mean squat to anybody but me. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: A Pat on My Own Back!

Distinguished Member

A Pat on My Own Back!

Reminds me of the inverted proverb: "Let your own lips praise you, and not another!"

This, obviously, does not mean squat to anybody but me. However, about twenty minutes ago I finished a sixty-hour, labor-intensive software change. Keeping in mind that I am techno-impaired, my latest Mac operating system kicked me out of my perfectly fine 25 year address system. Currently, I have just under 900 addresses in my program. I had to first learn how to merge the old software with the new (almost impossible). I would say that even that probably saved me a good forty extra hours of work. My wife was a great help in walking me through, line-by-line, every jot and tittle, every minutiae of words, letters, numbers, emails, prefixes, suffixes, job titles, kids, names, ages, birthrates, blah-blah-blah. Makes me ill just reciting it.

Next I had to merge this monster with my headquarters list. "Why not just use you HQ's list and save yourself the trouble?" Good question! Because both our lists have faulty data entries plus I have a personal list for friends, family, etc. that I use the same software with.

Last, I had to learn to use a "transfer" software system that HOPEFULLY allows for a seamless transfer of information to my organization's hard drive. This makes it much easier for hq administrative staff to interpret and enter the data. Still have a long ways to go in getting proficient with it but this is the guy that didn't know the difference between "download" and "upload" just a couple years ago (no, that's not a joke).

Just rereading this puts me to sleep. But, hey, it's like a thousand pounds off my shoulders. It also means my newsletter goes out next week. It also means that up to 30% of those on the list will hear from me for the first time in one to three years (I had no idea they didn't get our twice-a-year newsletter - what do I know? I'm just the hired help.). Well, now I can finish packing. Movers come Monday. IIIIIIEEEEEEEeeeeee!!!!!
    RKflorida and Hopyard like this.
    "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." Eccl. 10:2

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    Congrats!
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Uh, yeah...... Bravo Zulu on what you said.....

All I read was "Blah, blah, blah, dang computer, blah, blah, blah..........

I can upload and download a few things, but.......

You. Da. Man.
    aznav and Badey like this.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Hey remember............"A Pat On The Back IS Only 15" Away From A Kick In The A$$".....
    Hopyard and aznav like this.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by goldshellback View Post
    Uh, yeah...... Bravo Zulu on what you said.....

All I read was "Blah, blah, blah, dang computer, blah, blah, blah..........

I can upload and download a few things, but.......

You. Da. Man.
    I'm offering software courses starting next week, shell, wanna be the first?
    goldshellback likes this.
    "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." Eccl. 10:2

Quote Originally Posted by aznav View Post
    I'm offering software courses starting next week, shell, wanna be the first?
    Ya know...... If I could get an aznav certification (AND some range time thrown for giggles.....) my company MIGHT just finance it
    aznav likes this.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Senior Member Array GeorgiaDawg's Avatar
    Congrats! It's always nice to finish a massive undertaking.
    "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." - Ephesians 2:8-9

“The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed” - Ayn Rand

VIP Member
    Good for seeing it through. Have a happy and safe move.

I nearly threw one out in the yard once, does that count? Or spending 2 1/2 hours on the phone with tech support only to find out he is throwing darts at the flow chart and has no idea.

My best so far is getting one back from the blue screen of death long enough to save all my data. Then wiped it and reloaded.
    aznav likes this.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Quote Originally Posted by goldshellback View Post
    Ya know...... If I could get an aznav certification (AND some range time thrown for giggles.....) my company MIGHT just finance it
    AZNAV certification almost sounds legit. Is it an evergreen certification or does it expire in 3 years. Do I get to keep the empty brass?
    aznav likes this.
    It's kind of like how some people have a sudden and insatiable desire to talk about vampires after the Twilight series became popular, except zombies are much less gay and more likely to exist one day

VIP Member
    Good job...computer insultant.

Take care during the move. You may pat yourself on the back, but don't throw it out.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Accomplishment, one of the great "feelings" we experience. Congrats.

... job titles, kids, names, ages, birthrates ...
    Bob's birthrate, eh? How does that compare to Al's birthrate? With the new program, just think how much databasing you can do, to get answers to those much-wondered questions your previous program couldn't answer.

Glad you survived the ordeal, AZ. Upgrades can be a pain, to be sure. BTDT ... for 25yrs. But when the thought of upgrades gets you down, just think: you're on an easier-to-use Mac, right? Just think how bad it could be ...
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Wow! That was a massive amount of work. I would rather take the gas pipe. In my old age I no longer thrill at doing computer work. I dread it. I just want the darn thing to work so I can do my stuff. Last month I finally made the move from XP (32) to Windows 7 (64). It was something I'd been putting off for a couple of years because I have so many programs and files. I do video editing, book editing, audio work, database stuff and the usual Internet stuff plus Bit Torrents and Newsgroups. It wasn't as bad as I had anticipated, but still it took 2 days plus for another month I'll be finding stuff that has to be installed. I hope this OS lasts for a long, long time.

Anyway, good job and you should be proud, it's very exhausting work. Rather be at the range computing a 2" group from my Model 10.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Bob's birthrate, eh? How does that compare to Al's birthrate? With the new program, just think how much databasing you can do, to get answers to those much-wondered questions your previous program couldn't answer.

Glad you survived the ordeal, AZ. Upgrades can be a pain, to be sure. BTDT ... for 25yrs. But when the thought of upgrades gets you down, just think: you're on an easier-to-use Mac, right? Just think how bad it could be ...
    Somehow, I missed this entirely. "Birthrate"? I'd bet a week's salary that was autocorrect in action.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links