Video taken night of fatal shooting shown to jurors-houston shooting

This is a discussion on Video taken night of fatal shooting shown to jurors-houston shooting within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; was it murder or self-defense, he left his home to confront people at a party to turn the music down but he had a gun ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree88Likes

Thread: Video taken night of fatal shooting shown to jurors-houston shooting

was it murder or self-defense, he left his home to confront people at a party to turn the music down but he had a gun with him.

When Raul Rodriguez went to tell his neighbors to turn down the music at a May 2010 party, he took a flashlight, a video camera and a gun. At his murder trial Tuesday, his attorney said the video recording proved Rodriguez acted in self-defense when he shot three men, one fatally.
    WARNING: Strong language and violence in this video. Do not watch this video if you are offended by cursing and violence.

Video taken night of fatal shooting shown to jurors - Houston Chronicle

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar
    I simply HAVE to be missing something...

Unless he was surrounded somehow and kept from leaving, why didn't he call the cops from his home to report the disruption?

All this over loud music?

Without more information I won't armchair this one any further.

He should of just gone back inside and let the police handle it. Standing there with a video camera and telling the party goers to stay back was stupid...
    goldshellback, sgb, mano3 and 4 others like this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

WT
    Somebody laughs, a gunshot is heard, and the video ends. We don't see what led to the shot.

This video doesn't really prove anything for either side.

I think this could have been avoided real easy. I feel he was looking for a chance to use his gun, he makes the rest of us look bad. OMHO!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

you don't address the problem of your neighbors loud music with a gun in your hand,very confrontational..pick up a phone and call the police and none of this would have happened..
    goldshellback and Spirit51 like this.

Why was he out there?Thats what local LEO are for.
    goldshellback and Spirit51 like this.

I don't think he's gonna get off. He apparently brandished his weapon over loud music. While the rowdies were in the wrong as well... The shooter had no cause to show, or draw his weapon over an out of control party... Was he in imminent danger of grave bodily injury? Or Death? From what? Broken ear drums?

While it was not premeditated murder... it was "premeditated self defense"...

C'mon,

1. he went out to confront.
    2. he displayed his weapon.
    3. he brought his camera with him.

We carry handguns to defend ourselves "in the gravest extreme." Our handgun is the LAST thing that shows up at the fight, not the first thing.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

It's one thing to stand your ground in the face of aggression, and going over there to ask them to quiet down was certinally a reasonable move, but standing around with a video camera and waiting for some drunk to escalate it.......... not good.

Even the loud drunkards reconized Rodriguez had a gun
    "he's flashing his gun".
    Yes, I believe in standing your ground, but I believe he was just shy of, if not outright, baiting them. You just do NOT get into any kind of fight with a nasty drunk. If your going to confront a bunch of loud, mean drunks AND your scared enough to bring (and show/brandish) a gun, YOU don't need to be there. Let the cops take care it.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

VIP Member
    IMO He went out to intimidate those people with a gun. His bluff got called and now he wants to claim self defense.
    I havenít heard any of the journalists who volunteered to be waterboarded asking to have their fingernails wrenched out with pliers, or electrodes attached to their genitals.

Shooter was ex firefighter and had a CHL. He was on the phone with 911 and was videotaping his encounter with drunk, partying noisy neighbors.

Whose property was he on? Or was it on public property?

This trial is happening now in Houston. The early reports were predictably biased reporting, the more recent seem to include many more facts.
    Yoda, I am, yes.

sgb
    Regardless of how the incident began and who escalated what the man was an idiot for not retreating to his residence.

See below
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

'CHL buzzwords'

Rodriguez, apparently talking to a dispatcher, says the group is "escalating the situation" and that he fears for his life.

"They're going to kill me," he says as the group is apparently moving away and calling police.

Logan told jurors in her opening statements that Rodriguez was being sure to use all of the "CHL buzzwords" that he learned in a concealed handgun licensing class
    I was waiting to see if any caught on to this...I must have had a bad teacher because we weren’t taught the buzz words

Quote Originally Posted by barstoolguru View Post
    I was waiting to see if any caught on to this...
    That's where my 'baiting' comment came from. I saw it too but I just took the whole of the video into my opinion.

Yoda's right, there's more to this and we don't know/have all the facts yet.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Both sides agreed that the case hinges on a 22-minute video that Rodriguez took to document his side of the quarrel
    I have to agree with this statement, the video answers a lot of questions and then opens a lot more up. he was/is the aggressor in the video and he did use choice words like he was expecting trouble and if so was it necessary to confront them , not really over music that you can't hear on the video.
    This is a classic case of someone getting a CCW permit and using it for all the wrong reasons
    Last edited by barstoolguru; June 8th, 2012 at 01:33 AM.
    Spirit51 and goldshellback like this.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links