Favorite Shooter Video Games?

This is a discussion on Favorite Shooter Video Games? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; If you have an Android Smartphone, you might like Agent: Shooter......

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Favorite Shooter Video Games?

If you have an Android Smartphone, you might like Agent: Shooter...
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    My favorite FPS would have to be the Fallout series, followed by the Bioshock series, and Saints Row (1 and 2). That being said, I've spent plenty of hours with Hitman, Ghost Recon, SOCOM, and Time Splitters, and going back further the original Unreal.

One thing about a lot of these FPS games is that the big "hit" ones are usually revolutionary in terms of the software that runs them. These games have brought us computer techniques driving advancements in both hardware and software development like daemon processesing (DOOM), OpenGL (Quake), AGP processors (Voodoo video cards), 3D rotational mathematics (DSP processing with vector operations), the effects of have a light source (the sun or a lamp) and generating realistic shadows, along with all sorts of algorithms to handle things like water, image reflections in mirrors, body motion, realistic facial expressions and motion, and a host of other things that now show up in areas from your local morning news to block buster movies.

In terms of free software, Oblivion by Bethesda Softworks from several years ago was based upon a free, opensource graphics engine, which was used in both Obl

I read an article (here) about the upcoming release of the "unreal engine" version 4, which will again revolutionize the manner in which games are programmed by automating a lot of the background tasks. An example being when a player moves in front of a mirror, currently the programmer must handle generating the reflection, while the new system will take care of things like that automatically.

Senior Member Array GeorgiaDawg's Avatar
    That's pretty cool, noway. Looking forward to seeing the games coming out in the next few years using the new engine.
    "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." - Ephesians 2:8-9

“The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed” - Ayn Rand

Sniper elite V3 is pretty cool if you like to sit back and wait for the bad guys to come. I have been into the Tom Clancy ghost recon future soldier. You can really customize your gun. I play both on ps3 and both are 3rd person shooters. They are worth the buy. (actually there is a free demo of the sniper elite v3 in the playstation store)

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2

MW2....I love clearing the Favela with my Glock 18. Oh, yeah. Dogs.....I hate dogs.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

I enjoy the Modern Warfare, Halo, and Ghost Recon franchises. There hasn't been a Rainbow Six game in a while, but I really liked those. I'll probably be getting Mass Effect 3 and the new Ghost Recon games over the course of the summer.

Quote Originally Posted by zonker1986 View Post
    MW2....I love clearing the Favela with my Glock 18. Oh, yeah. Dogs.....I hate dogs.
    I hear the attack dogs in MW3 are packing explosives that go off while you are standing over your kill, is that true?
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

I sure did love the original Splinter Cell on the first Xbox.

I enjoy being able to take out characters up close with blades and bare hands as well!

Quote Originally Posted by joker1 View Post
    I hear the attack dogs in MW3 are packing explosives that go off while you are standing over your kill, is that true?
    Yeah they have bomber dogs in the "waves" mode. Same idea as the suicide bombers, you shoot them, they set off their bomb.

I play PC, although I haven't played for a while now. Battlefield Bad Company 2 is my go to right now. Love being able to blow up/destroy buildings.

My friend has a PS3 and we play Modern Warfare 3 alllll the time.

If you like playing sniper I recommend the battlefield games for ps3. Larger maps more realistic sniping shooting across the map you need to aim high for bullet drop. For fast paced shooters I like the call of duty and modern warfare games.

Senior Member Array GeorgiaDawg's Avatar
    I should try Battlefield 3. Haven't played since Battlefield 2 first came out, but I used to like going prone at the end of an enemy runway and snipe people through the cockpit window as soon as they hopped into a jet.

I'm also a fan of the stealthy games likes Splinter Cell. I've never been much of a run-and-gun type.
    "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." - Ephesians 2:8-9

“The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed” - Ayn Rand

Loved Quake 3 Arena but ended up playing mostly MMORPGs (Star Wars Old Republic currently and Everquest previously).
    Have played quite a bit of Alien Versus Predator as well.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiaDawg View Post
    I should try Battlefield 3. Haven't played since Battlefield 2 first came out, but I used to like going prone at the end of an enemy runway and snipe people through the cockpit window as soon as they hopped into a jet.

I'm also a fan of the stealthy games likes Splinter Cell. I've never been much of a run-and-gun type.
    Play Battlefield 3. I got really good at leveling off choppers for my squad to launch SMAW rockets onto tanks. Can even capture control points while in mid air.

Squad based play is more interesting if you have a mic. Get a group together and move around as a unit. Get a lot more done.

Recall taking points in a plaza with one guy on overwatch while the others move in to capture it. A medic holding back to patch anyone up who needs it.

Hate to show my age here but... Wolfenstein 3D was my first favorite followed by Duke Nukem. More current would be the Call of Duty games.
    I Shoot Birds With A Canon.

BF3 on the puter.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links