A MUST Read: THIS is America: - Page 2

A MUST Read: THIS is America:

This is a discussion on A MUST Read: THIS is America: within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; There are thousands, perhaps hundreds of thousands with as many brains as this girl has.... not to detract from her story, as it is truly ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: A MUST Read: THIS is America:

There are thousands, perhaps hundreds of thousands with as many brains as this girl has.... not to detract from her story, as it is truly remarkable. She did what she needed to do to get out of her situation... and deserves every accolade she got. I'm certain she will put it to good use.

Many many children do not have that ability, emotionally, or otherwise due to their circumstances. Heck, upwards of 50% of them are going hungry every day... Stories like this gal's, or The Blind Side speak to getting a few (very few) of these kids onto the right path...

What about the rest of them... America should be about all of them, too. Shouldn't it?

Hard work and perseverance do pay off... in huge dividends. Many children don't see a glimmer of hope... a glimmer of a way out, For them, there is no light at the end of the tunnel... Because they can't see it at all.... they don't know that right around the corner lays promise and betterment... Their environment crushes them so completely, they don't know any other way.

How do you give them a few candles by which to do their "homework"?
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Outstanding thanks for posting!!

From op:

Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    There are thousands, perhaps hundreds of thousands with as many brains as this girl has.... not to detract from her story, as it is truly remarkable. She did what she needed to do to get out of her situation... and deserves every accolade she got. I'm certain she will put it to good use.

Many many children do not have that ability, emotionally, or otherwise due to their circumstances. Heck, upwards of 50% of them are going hungry every day... Stories like this gal's, or The Blind Side speak to getting a few (very few) of these kids onto the right path...

What about the rest of them... America should be about all of them, too. Shouldn't it?

Hard work and perseverance do pay off... in huge dividends. Many children don't see a glimmer of hope... a glimmer of a way out, For them, there is no light at the end of the tunnel... Because they can't see it at all.... they don't know that right around the corner lays promise and betterment... Their environment crushes them so completely, they don't know any other way.

At the risk if going off-topic on my own thread:

Well, what you say is true and yet the story of this young girl is also true. So, where does that leave us? I think this response posted on CNN with many other reactions to the story begins to look at it in what may be the right light:

"Beautiful story. It should be noted that once again the American dream is achieved through a combination of hard work and a good support system. Our political arena has become so polarized to the extremes that we tend to think that either people should be given everything or that they should brave everything alone. We forget that there is a middle ground where people can receive a helping hand, capitalize on the opportunity through dedicated effort, and succeed."

To me this is a good suggestion. I do know what you mean - I did some work one summer with some inner city kids at a well-known professional theater when I was acting there. The kids made great progress that summer, or 2 out of 3 did, in all ways. They got hope. But, a few months later, after the summer season at the theater was over, they didn't maintain it. Their poverty, broken homes, and the violence they witnessed daily (as in murders) snuffed out their progress in a few months. All of us had done the best we could but...

I do know one thing: I teach at a University, sometimes I hear a lot of whining from students about how "it's too hard to do all the work". So, I'm passing out a copy of this story to every student the first day of class and making it required reading.

And now: back to the thread and this girl's story:
    Last edited by walleye; June 8th, 2012 at 06:47 PM.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Acquaintances, people at school, people in the system chipping in to assist a hard-working, bright person who's had it rough but is still battling and persevering. Back to roots, offering simple friendship and a hand up. Amazing what can happen when people focus on what matters.
    Quote Originally Posted by goldshellback View Post
    This child, this youg lady, is now one of my American Heros.
    Quote Originally Posted by walleye View Post
    That sentence of yours : "Amazing what can happen when people focus on what matters." should be on a large sign in every office in the Government -and hung as a huge banner-sign on the entrance to Congress and the White House.

^^^YEP^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Wow.
    What a sucker punch to the tearducts man.

From article;

Dawn has learned the sort of lessons that can't be learned in school. "I love my parents. I disagree with the choices that they've made. But we all have to live with the consequences of our actions," she said.

She takes it all in stride. "If I had not had those experiences, I wouldn't be such a strong-willed or determined person."

She might just find Harvard to be easy.

Amazing one so young has snatched the pea from the masters hand.
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

M&Pc .357sig, 2340Sigpro .357sig

This is a great story for all of us. And it defines what every American should be about. I hope all the success in the future.
    " Life is tough and it gets tougher if your stupid." John Wayne.

Trials and tribulation temper us like steel. They builds character, perseverance, and maturity. Although this young lady had to scrape to get by, she is better for it. May she succeed and prosper in all she attempts in life! Thank you for sharing this story, made my heart smile.
    walleye likes this.

One thing came to mind as I read this , " it takes a community to raise a child" ... this is a case where she stood up and was determined to move her life in a positive direction, and the community stepped up to support her, and then she took it the rest of the way.

Amazing character, and a show of maturity rarely seen in one so young. I wish her well in her endeavors, and Harvard just shown their "character" , as well.
    oneshot and walleye like this.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post

^^^^^^^I hear you oakchas^^^^^^^

But essentially it hinges on that school and community picking up the ball and running with it, in so far as this young girl was concerned.Here is something that could explain it better.

The Starfish Story: You Can Make a Difference Andrew: Inside & Insights

While walking along a beach, an elderly gentleman saw someone in the distance leaning down, picking something up and throwing it into the ocean.

As he got closer, he noticed that the figure was that of a young man, picking up starfish one by one and tossing each one gently back into the water.

He came closer still and called out, “Good morning! May I ask what it is that you are doing?”

The young man paused, looked up, and replied “Throwing starfish into the ocean.”

The old man smiled, and said, “I must ask, then, why are you throwing starfish into the ocean?”

To this, the young man replied, “The sun is up and the tide is going out. If I don’t throw them in, they’ll die.”

Upon hearing this, the elderly observer commented, “But, young man, do you not realise that there are miles and miles of beach and there are starfish all along every mile? You can’t possibly make a difference!”

The young man listened politely. Then he bent down, picked up another starfish, threw it into the back into the ocean past the breaking waves and said, “It made a difference for that one.”
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

M&Pc .357sig, 2340Sigpro .357sig

The second video on this page is a short interview with the girl after she graduated and was overwhelmed by an ovation that greeted her as she recieved her diploma:

Harvard-bound homeless grad 'overwhelmed' by ovation – This Just In - CNN.com Blogs

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links