A MUST Read: THIS is America:

This is a discussion on A MUST Read: THIS is America: within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Every once in awhile I read something that redeems my faith and joy in the human race. How's THIS for a story of a just ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: A MUST Read: THIS is America:

A MUST Read: THIS is America:

Every once in awhile I read something that redeems my faith and joy in the human race. How's THIS for a story of a just reward for a poor, abused, and homeless high school girl, of her community, of her wonderful teachers - THIS is America. Not the fools we have running the country. Very moving, well worth the read: (if you like it pass it on, we all need to hear these stories in my book):

From scrubbing floors to Ivy League: Homeless student to go to dream college - CNN.com

PS - Don't just watch the video, read the whole story if you can.
    Last edited by walleye; June 8th, 2012 at 02:40 AM.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Darnit Walleye. Great story, computer is a bit fuzzy right now, but a great story.
    Last edited by tacman605; June 8th, 2012 at 03:27 AM.
    BurgerBoy likes this.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Quote Originally Posted by tacman605 View Post
    ****** Walleye. Great story, computer is a bit fuzzy right now, but a great story.
    I teared up too if that's what you may mean by "fuzzy computer". Keep in mind this was all in a small town in Appalachia, a very poor area. And we have CEO's running around making millions for ripping people off. It's the common, good folks like this who are the backbone of the nation. We need to go back to our roots. Here it is.

Sadly such stories are few and far between.
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

"... you will be admitted to the Harvard College class of 2016. ... We send such an early positive indication only to outstanding applicants ..."

Not only was Dawn accepted to Harvard, she got a full ride. She was offered tuition, room and board, as well as assistance finding an on-campus job.
    Acquaintances, people at school, people in the system chipping in to assist a hard-working, bright person who's had it rough but is still battling and persevering. Back to roots, offering simple friendship and a hand up. Amazing what can happen when people focus on what matters.
    darbo, walleye, BurgerBoy and 3 others like this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

This child, this youg lady, is now one of my American Heros.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Acquaintances, people at school, people in the system chipping in to assist a hard-working, bright person who's had it rough but is still battling and persevering. Back to roots, offering simple friendship and a hand up. Amazing what can happen when people focus on what matters.
    That sentence of yours : "Amazing what can happen when people focus on what matters." should be on a large sign in every office in the Government -and hung as a huge banner-sign on the entrance to Congress and the White House.

Quote Originally Posted by Crowman View Post
    Sadly such stories are few and far between.
    I'd bet they really happen frequently! It's just nothing the news media ever wants to tell us.
    Cape Locum Et Fac Vestigium

Now that is a good story. That I like to read.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Would be interested to hear what becomes of her in...say...20 years or so. I think she's got a great life ahead of her. Great read!
    Never pick a fight with an old man...If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you - John Steinbeck
    Come to Colorado...the governor is loopy
    .................................................. .................................................. ......................They Live

Quote Originally Posted by goldshellback View Post
    This child, this youg lady, is now one of my American Heros.
    Great!

"Circumstances do not make the man, they reveal him."

What an amazing girl. If only people could see more of this and realize that your situation doesn't dictate your choices.
    BigStick and BurgerBoy like this.

Quote Originally Posted by lyz_grace View Post
    "Circumstances do not make the man, they reveal him."

What an amazing girl. If only people could see more of this and realize that your situation doesn't dictate your choices.
    No, your character and courage dictate your choices, your situation makes those choices easier or difficult.
    lyz_grace likes this.

That's a TRUE American, right there.

Great story & a Fine young lady. Now "IF" a couple of Rev's Could Learn a thing or two about this story ; )
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links