Man shot after spraying motorist with Mace -SD ?

This is a discussion on Man shot after spraying motorist with Mace -SD ? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; The other man later told deputies he couldn’t breath after being doused with the pepper spray. He pulled out a pistol and shot twice, striking ...

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree72Likes

Thread: Man shot after spraying motorist with Mace -SD ?

Man shot after spraying motorist with Mace -SD ?

The other man later told deputies he couldn’t breath after being doused with the pepper spray. He pulled out a pistol and shot twice, striking the younger man in the arm and the neck, deputies said.

So was it self-defense? .... Obviously the young man couldn’t control his temper and the old man felt threatened. The comments seem to lean towards the old man.

Man shot after spraying motorist with Mace | Newswatch | a Chron.com blog

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array Inspector71's Avatar
    42 years old is an old man? Lawd, lawd
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. Because it's in English, thank a vet

VIP Member
    Based on the information given in the story, I think the GJ will find the shooting was justified. The shooter tried to get away from the younger man, thus defusing the situation, but was followed and assaulted. This also apparently happened in TX so there was no duty to retreat.
    Chad Rogers and sgb like this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by barstoolguru View Post
    So was it self-defense? .... Obviously the young man couldn’t control his temper and the old man felt threatened. The comments seem to lean towards the old man.

Man shot after spraying motorist with Mace | Newswatch | a Chron.com blog
    If 45 makes him an "old man" what does that make me at 61, a fossil??
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    The way it is written he may get away with a self-defense, the DA will have to sort this one out.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    I really have to lean towards the guy who got pepper sprayed. I know if someone, who was the instigator, sprayed me with pepper spray- and I somehow managed to be able to continue seeing what was happening- I would definitely start shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    If 45 makes him an "old man" what does that make me at 61, a fossil??
    Yes. Yes it does.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

1. The story makes it sound like to 24 year old escalated the situation and became aggressive
    2. The GG tried to retreat as opposed to getting into an altercation
    3. The 24 year old chases down the GG
    4. The 24 year old assaults the GG

IMO, the GG is justified if he feared that the OC spray would make him unable to defend himself from an impending physical attack...
    "My problem with life is not that it is rational nor that it is irrational, but that it is almost rational." - G.K. Chesterton

Don't bring mace to a gun fight
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

If someone chased me down to spray me i would be worried what they were going to do after i was incapacitated.I can't say i would have shot but i damn sure would have been as ready as i could be (given just being sprayed ) to defend myself.
    atctimmy likes this.
    The easy way is always mined.

VIP Member
    I'm on the fence on this one. 24 y.o. would definitely have been a frightening individual to encounter. The OC
    would suggest that possible further attacks were coming. What I'd want to know is what the young man did or said
    immediately after using the OC. There's a big difference in the threat depending on whether he raised his hands, verbalized
    a threat, turned to walk away, stepped back from the door of the car. I think we need some more details filled in
    to know what to think about this. There is definitely the potential for this to be looked at as a retaliatory murder.
    It probably isn't, but it is possible within the limits of the info presented in the original story. DA, GJ, will have to sort it all
    out.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

The (old) guy should be commended for being on target and the young guy should've realized he was near Guhn street.
    Why?? Because at the last second, the Police are minutes away.

As written; the younger man caused the wreck, got into an altercation, pursued a fleeing victim, and sprayed him with Mace. The victim defended himself. The young man had plenty of opportunity to avoid the confrontation. Instead, he provoked the situation. "Well, if I had known he was going to shoot me; I would have behaved differently" won't fly.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    While I agree completely with the above assessments, regarding instigating, persuing, assualt, threating, and so forth, I am in the same camp as Hopyard: what happened immediately after being sprayed and before the shooting. As much as I agree that the actions leading up to this were wrong and undoubtedly subject to criminal prosecution, the article does not give enough information to say whether or the AOJ test passes. In other words, was there a sufficient threat, beyond assault with NON LETHAL force to justify the use of LETHAL force?

Exactly...probably not justified in using lethal force against non lethal force....

Quote Originally Posted by noway2 View Post
    While I agree completely with the above assessments, regarding instigating, persuing, assualt, threating, and so forth, I am in the same camp as Hopyard: what happened immediately after being sprayed and before the shooting. As much as I agree that the actions leading up to this were wrong and undoubtedly subject to criminal prosecution, the article does not give enough information to say whether or the AOJ test passes. In other words, was there a sufficient threat, beyond assault with NON LETHAL force to justify the use of LETHAL force?

Distinguished Member Array Burns's Avatar
    They both made mistakes. Lethal force vs non lethal force, as LE you could get away with it, but not as a civilian. I think the 24 YOs mistakes are pretty obvious.
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Links