Hugo Chavez and Citgo....

This is a discussion on Hugo Chavez and Citgo.... within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Just got an email from one of my wife's coworkers stating that Citgo is wholly owned by the Venezualan govt.. Not to be taken in ...

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar

Just got an email from one of my wife's coworkers stating that Citgo is wholly owned by the Venezualan govt.. Not to be taken in by the internet rumor mill, I quickly went to Citgo's website for info from the "horses mouth" so to speak....

"In September, 1986, Southland sold a 50 percent interest in CITGO to Petróleos de Venezuela, S.A. (PDVSA), the national oil company of the Bolivarian Republic of Venezuela. PDVSA acquired the remaining half of CITGO in January, 1990. With a secure and ample supply of crude oil, CITGO quickly became a major force in the energy arena."

Here is a link to this page:
    http://www.citgo.com/AboutCITGO/CompanyHistory.jsp

Given Chavez's postition toward the US and recent meetings with jowl-stricken Cindy Sheehan, I feel it necessary to boycott Citgo for fuel purchases. I realize that our choices for where to purchase fuel are limited when much of the money goes to fund autocratic anti-American regimes, but have to try to funnel money where it will do the least harm. Anybody have knowlege of where to purchase US produced fuel, by a company owned by Americans? Love to see a confirmed report of this info, not ignorant scuttlebutt....

Thanks...
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

Senior Moderator
    You can find out where various oil companies buy their crude here:

http://www.eia.doe.gov/oil_gas/petro...ports/cli.html

A cursory analysis points to:

BP
    CONOCO
    HESS
    SHELL
    SUNOCO

As purchasing from non-Gulf states as well as not from Venezuela.

I also boycot Citgo.

It is interesting to note that the Congress pitched a fit when the UAE company tried to lease port space, but sits mute while Citgo operates several terminals and trucks hazardous materials all over the country. While being owned by an increasingly hostile foreign government.

I'll push my car past a Citgo before I'll spend my money there.....

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

thanks for the link Matt, I'll check it out....
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

According to this report, what power consumers have is very limited but it makes me feel better in a small way.....
    http://www.eia.doe.gov/neic/experts/contactexperts.htm

VIP Member
    Interesting to note. I don't normally go to a Citgo, but I'll have to pay attention more nonetheless.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

Links